Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you remember your first time playing WoW?

I was thinking back and the first time I sat down and played was when my friend turned me onto the game. I was hanging out at his house using his account. He had to go to work but insisted I stayed behind and played more if I wanted to. I ended up sitting there and playing 9 hours straight.

From that point on, we (about 4 to 6 of us) would gather over someones house and play together. It was quite fun. We did Raids and such and I got hooked.

I remember 11 years ago, I was in highschool, I didn't have the game yet, 2 of my friends bought it on release night, and I went to their house the next day to watched them play, one of them rolled a night elf hunter, something that really stand out back then and still that one thing that's missing from pretty much every mmo-rpgs out there was: the silky smooth handling you get from controlling your character, we'd just sit there for hours killing shit in the newbie zone, while jumping and strafing as we go.

later around mid 2005, I finally bought my own game, leveled a human warlock as my first character.

I downloaded the demo, and played a night elf a week or two after the game came out. Hooked instantly, I'd never played an MMO before, and was looking for a new game after years of playing Diablo II and Sim City 4 to death. Something about the furbolgs and the setting and the gameplay just grabbed me, hard - I don't think I need to explain it. I don't remember what class, but probably a rogue or warrior, as I was coming from DII, where I loved and specialized in barbs and assassins. I pretty much never played a caster until I started a warlock later on.

I can't remember the exact dates, but very close to launch Blizzard stopped sending copies out, because the servers were too crowded and they were about to upgrade them - so there were a lot of complaints about finding it. I figured I'd wait a while...and I went to Target, and was looking at books, and glanced over at the software section - two WoW boxes! Grabbed one, went home - now it's ten years later. I know I started within a month of release, according to my payment history.

I was a little irked that I couldn't use my Night Elf from the demo account, but I jumped on, started a human rogue, and forgot all about it.

I was in 7th grade when WoW came out and couldn't pay for the subscription because I didn't have a credit card and didn't know you could buy time cards so I only got to play the trial over and over again :P. I remember my first trial I made an undead lock and a few hours in a Dwarf hunter came over to our starting zone and destroyed all of us newbie undead for a long time. I wasn't even mad, I thought it was cool how much more powerful he was and couldn't wait til I could do the same thing!

New guild but kept same sig [cares- Kel'Thuzad]
    http://www.twitch.tv/undr_score

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 16dots View Post
    I remember 11 years ago, I was in highschool, I didn't have the game yet, 2 of my friends bought it on release night, and I went to their house the next day to watched them play, one of them rolled a night elf hunter, something that really stand out back then and still that one thing that's missing from pretty much every mmo-rpgs out there was: the silky smooth handling you get from controlling your character, we'd just sit there for hours killing shit in the newbie zone, while jumping and strafing as we go.

later around mid 2005, I finally bought my own game, leveled a human warlock as my first character.
    I have been playing 9 years myself. Time sure does fly! I started in 2006.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I logged in and saw a bunch of ppl saying weird shit and /dancing.
    You cared enough to post.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Op reported for account sharing - jk I did the same thing. Friend had me roll a warrior JUST to see how cool Charge was, then I watched him play his rogue and he investigated that skull thing with the huge sword in it that's in Darkshore. I thought it was the coolest shit ever.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

The first time I saw WoW was at a friend's place. She was running a character around Booty Bay.

What I remember of when I first played it is the oboe music in the human starting area. Very atmospheric.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I downloaded the demo, and played a night elf a week or two after the game came out. Hooked instantly, I'd never played an MMO before, and was looking for a new game after years of playing Diablo II and Sim City 4 to death. Something about the furbolgs and the setting and the gameplay just grabbed me, hard - I don't think I need to explain it. I don't remember what class, but probably a rogue or warrior, as I was coming from DII, where I loved and specialized in barbs and assassins. I pretty much never played a caster until I started a warlock later on.

I can't remember the exact dates, but very close to launch Blizzard stopped sending copies out, because the servers were too crowded and they were about to upgrade them - so there were a lot of complaints about finding it. I figured I'd wait a while...and I went to Target, and was looking at books, and glanced over at the software section - two WoW boxes! Grabbed one, went home - now it's ten years later. I know I started within a month of release, according to my payment history.

I was a little irked that I couldn't use my Night Elf from the demo account, but I jumped on, started a human rogue, and forgot all about it.
    I had no idea you couldn't keep a demo character. I am glad I didn't start that way or I would have been a little made haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Op reported for account sharing - jk I did the same thing. Friend had me roll a warrior JUST to see how cool Charge was, then I watched him play his rogue and he investigated that skull thing with the huge sword in it that's in Darkshore. I thought it was the coolest shit ever.
    Haha! that was back in 06 I think my sentence would have been cleared by now. I think I spent a good 2 hours just running around before I even started questing. I even went too far and got killed lolol

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    On a friends account December 2004. Leveled a Paladin to 12 in one sitting, spent about an hour grinding Black whelps in Redridge because I was told they had a higher chance to drop green weapons. One dropped a Training sword of the Tiger. Was a glorious day.

At school my friend was talking about some PC game that you can basically do what you please, also you can /dance or /wave ! I rolled a Human Rogue and spent a while at the Abby and Elywynn Forrest.. Then he had me follow him (he was level 54 at the time, so he had a mount) to Westfall, I asked him why can't I just hop on the back of your horse? Seeing Westfall for the first time was amazing. I did every single quest.
    | I5 2500k @ 4.3GHZ 1.33v | Corsair Veng. 1600 DDR3 | Corsair H60| Asus p8z68-v |
    | XFX R9 280x DD| CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair 750 Modular | Razer Naga Molten|

Deleted
    as if it were yesterday

my first character was a male nightelf druid (shudder) called Fraggedguy on some RP realm, I got him to lvl 8 before I gloriously died to some spider and gave up
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-02-23 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dancing on the mailbox in Darkshore for gold, Also, I thought icon's with skulls (high lvl) were horde over in Felwood.

Deleted
    I remember my first ever time, yeah. I played a Night Elf druid called Defiance, and I just hopped around Teldrassil running away from spiders and cats (Which I initially thought were passive/friendly like the ones in Shadowglen).

Come level 10, the Talent system confused the holy hell out of me, and I just randomly chose talents from all 3 trees, not realising I'd have to pay to respec.

By the time I was level 23 or so in Darkshore, I was a feral boomtree. I seriously don't know. All my gear was agility and strength and spirit and whatever else I thought looked pretty I guess.

Then I died, and I couldn't find my corpse, so I thought that was game over. I then deleted the character and made my Night Elf hunter instead, which still exists to this day (Albeit as a Blood Elf now).

This was all in early vanilla, and it took me the whole expansion to reach level 55. Then burning crusade came out. Yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was never into PC gaming so had always confused Warcraft with Warhammer so never found out anything about it because I assumed it was some tabletop rpg thing that would be difficult to get into. The South Park episode changed my perception and I decided to give it a go from there. When I started playing it I think I spent most of my time just exploring around the world, I was really amazed by the size and scale of everything and there was this real mystique of trying to explore and find out where the horde live and find secrets and whatnot. There seemed to be a lot of levelling guilds around in those days so it was easy enough to find people who hadn't a clue what they were doing too so that helped learn the ropes in the game. Finally clearing deadmines was really rewarding after failing so many times but it seemed like nothing got done in groups in those days without a higher level boosting, all the attempted groups apart from stockades tended to fail.

I remember playing for a couple of months slowly levelling with the same newbies I was in a guild with and remember loving the wrath introduction patch with all the ghouls and diseases. I quit for the first time around the start of burning crusade content which must have been around the early part of wrath because DKs were flooding the entire levelling game and ruining it for me since they seemed so much better at everything, plus I got the impression everyone only ever wanted to do ramps with 4 DK and a healer. I didn't have the money to upgrade to wrath and get one so I just quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember starting a dwarf warrior, that I kept up until Cata, nothing was more amazing than seeing Ironforge the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

I remember seeing it on g4 and really wanting to try it. i was 13 so i had no money. Bought the game with birthday money to find out it had a monthly sub. Was so upset. Really like the game and asked my mom if she would pay it. I thought 15 was a lot. She offered to pay it and i was super excited.

Oh yes I do. I played on a friend's account when WoW was starting to become hot stuff in vanilla and made a human mage. I remember hating the cast bar thinking it felt clunky, and I remember repeatedly dying to murlocs at a lake in Elwynn.

Deleted
    It was during the beta. I was running around trying to find my friend, i remember i had rolled a Dwarf priest and had made it just outside the dwarven lands. I was running around hitting kobolds in the head with my staff and casting smite.

Biggest noob you could find.

Yes I do.

I remember watching my cousin get it, and started playing it, and right then I was hooked. So I bought it the next day after work, made an undead warlock on Tichondrius (this was back in 2005), and started trying to play, and used a lot of hours playing (staying up til 4 AM on weekends).