Exclamation HELP! Having issues booting my computer

So my computer decided to crash on me for the first time today. It's about 3.5 years old now. I was playing WoW when it happened. All of a sudden my screen just turned grey and did not do anything after that, so I rebooted it and it seemed fine for a few minutes before crashing the same way. Now when I try to boot I first see big red vertical line and then after it gets past the windows screen the screen just turns grey. But if I boot in safe mode with networking it will boot up but have these thin red semi-horizontal lines across the screen.

I first thought maybe my graphics card or CPU and gotten too hot so I bought some compressed air and cleaned out all the dust(and was there alot) to help with air flow, but that did not help. Also since it seemed to boot in safe mode I performed a system restore back to yesterday but that did seem to help. The most recent thing I have installed was the latest update for WoW. I did have an issue were it would not download properly but I believe it was caused because I did not have enough hard drive space. So I uninstalled D3 and it seemed to download alright. The only other thing I can do it plug my monitor into the DVI port on my motherboard instead of my graphics card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you guys need any additional information I can provide it.

PS. If it makes a difference I use an SSD exclusively as my hard drive.
    Last edited by coolman298; 2015-02-25 at 07:21 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know your specs, but assuming your CPU has integrated graphics, if you remove your GPU does the problem persist by booting with the GPU removed and the monitor plugged into the motherboard?
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Remove your graphics card and plug into your mono. If this fixes the problem then your graphics card is the problem.

Deleted
    usualy if there is any lines on screen it is the graphics card

Thanks guys I'll try and let you guys know!

Deleted
    could be that your gpu was already prety hot and now that there was new graphics options it was enough for the gpu.
    with gpu-z you can see the temp of the gpu www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Hey guys, just wanted to report that my computer is booting just fine now! Now I just need to figure out if I can correct the issue with my graphics card. Anyone have any ideas or am I just out of luck and need to get a new one. My graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 6870.

Quote Originally Posted by coolman298 View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to report that my computer is booting just fine now! Now I just need to figure out if I can correct the issue with my graphics card. Anyone have any ideas or am I just out of luck and need to get a new one. My graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 6870.
    I'd imagine it's time for a new graphics card.