Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What's your Preferred Class in a RPG/JRPG/MMORPG

As the title says.

In a general sense, I usually prefer the survivable and soloing class in my games (Not necessarily one with heavy armor, but one that can do stuff by myself without dying, ie hunters with pets or blademasters with spears to attack from afar). I also really like to play "unique" classes in games, such as the Artificer in Ebberon (Yeah, not a video game... whatever; this is RPGs!) or Death Knights in WoW. I rarely ever take "traditional" classes such as rogues or mages, because they are so... common and I prefer to feel like I'm different and doing something different.

In EVE, I took on the general fleet utility role with a T3 cruiser that had fleet support modules, a cloaking shield, an exploration launcher, salvaging and repair drones, and disrupters. Feels great to be able to not only do content solo, but also easily fit right into almost any small group fleet and help out in numerous ways.

You?

I generally like to play the "evil" classes such as necromancers and warlocks. Mostly because I like being a ranged class but I also love the pet aspect of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cute ones.

Pen & Paper games with traditional fantasy classes: Control/Offensive Support casters. Wizard and Psion are my top two for D&D, but any class that can use magic to harm and debilitate the enemy is one I enjoy.

Edit: Pen & Paper as a DM: Fallen Paladins and Evil Clerics are my favorite villains.... I love cliché villains with not-so-cliché plots.

JRPG: Usually archers.
    ARPG: Usually archers.

RPG: In games like Dragon Age: Origins or Skyrim where stealth is a possibility, I love going for dual-wield assassin builds. If I can do so with a touch of magic thrown in, even better. (For Skyrim, for instance, I dual-wielded conjured blades as my weapon of choice.)
    RPG, Alternate: If stealth isn't a serious option for infiltration and assassination, I tend to fall back on long-range offensive casters.

MMORPG: I'm all over the map here.... the two I come back to most often are tank and caster dps, but it really depends on the game and how the classes play out. My current favorite is the GW2 elementalist with a dagger/focus build that serves as short-range magical dps, but I can enjoy most builds given the right situation.

Front line fighter or knightly type. Templar, Paladin and Crusader archetype are pretty appealing but I also really like barbaric/savage warriors.

Tanking, almost exclusively, is the only role I am interested in playing in a MMORPG. Damage dealing, healing or support have close to no appeal to me.

The characters I have enjoyed the most have been ones that can heal themselves in some way that don't require potions, or have some sort of pet to take the brunt of it.

WoW, my favorite classes have been the paladin and warlock (protection and demonology). D&D I have preferred the paladin and druid (or any class with an animal companion). The alignment restrictions have never bothered me (except the paladin only because every god damned time there are at least 1, typically 2, people who go for "chaotic neutral" [which they play as chaotic evil in all but name] in the party, and I don't want to put up with the complaints that usually brings about, when I play to have fun and not to get into fights with the others) for the most part.

I prefer tanky heavily armored (or with a very resilient pet) characters that can heal themselves well enough.

I also prefer melee for the most part, though I will play ranged. Barbarian-types are also fun. Basically, the paladin and any savage/nature-oriented classes are my typical go-to.
    Last edited by Pachycrocuta; 2015-02-28 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    WoW, my favorite classes have been the paladin and warlock (protection and demonology). D&D I have preferred the paladin and druid (or any class with an animal companion). The alignment restrictions have never bothered me (except the paladin only because every god damned time there are at least 1, typically 2, people who go for "chaotic neutral" [which they play as chaotic evil in all but name] in the party, and I don't want to put up with the complaints that usually brings about, when I play to have fun and not to get into fights with the others) for the most part.
    You're right, every single time. Last time I played a paladin, first dungeon we found a room in the orc's lair that was just the kids and one scared orc trying to protect them. She begged for their lives, I accepted their surrender and asked if they could convince the rest of the tribe to talk, our wizard decided the group would make good target practice for a burning hands spell.

Unfortunately for the wizard, I was next in initiative order.... :-P

You know, I've ALWAYS wanted to play a full support class after seeing how they worked back in Everquest and what not. MMORPGs these days are solely focused on DPS or go home basically, especially the action oriented ones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pen and paper games I play Paladins or good Wizard types.

Final Fantasy games I play White/Red/Blue Mages.

So, yeah, spell casters.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I always play mages in RPGs because I could always pick up some knives and walk on my tippy-toes in real life, but I will never be able to shoot fireballs out of my fingertips.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin/Crusader/Cleric/Templar type characters. Basically any kind of Holy Warrior.

If the game includes one of the 4 above or a class that is similar in feel, It is the one I will ALWAYS choose first.

first Chars in MMO's:

WoW - Paladin
    RIFT - Paladin
    FFXIV - Gladiator (which I turned into a Paladin at 30)
    Swtor - Jedi Knight/Guardian was most like a Ret Paladin.
    Archage - Templar
    Etc, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plate melee damage dealers because plate melee characters tend to require the least amount of skill to play. Everything is almost passive. That includes passive high defense through armor, passive retarded damage through wielding a two hander and basic skills that any moron can figure out. Everything about playing a Brawler type character is always based on how good your armor and weapon is. Player skill has zero factor and that's what makes it so easy.

Anytime I play one of these stupid MMO's or RPG's, I'm instantly attuned to playing a mindless class or role. It's far easier to play something that is easy and gets the job done instead of playing something like a Mage/Sorcerer/Thief/Assassin where you actually need to use your class toolkit correctly to make up for your passive inferiorities.

I really love playing Wizards or the damaging spellcaster. Most games these days do not have a Necromancer class/subclass, but that is my absolute favorite and I always choose it if possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    IT varies, but usually anything as long as it's super tanky. I like to be the tank, even when I'm not playing a game that requires tanking. I also have a HUGE weakness for Unarmed combat classes

So D3 I went with Monk until RoS when I swapped to Crusader, in WoW I was a Paladin till they released Monk. Most recently I've fallen head over heals in love with the Knight Enchanter class in Dragon Age Inquisition (they're a SUPER tanky melee mage).
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Plate melee damage dealers because plate melee characters tend to require the least amount of skill to play. Everything is almost passive. That includes passive high defense through armor, passive retarded damage through wielding a two hander and basic skills that any moron can figure out. Everything about playing a Brawler type character is always based on how good your armor and weapon is. Player skill has zero factor and that's what makes it so easy.

Anytime I play one of these stupid MMO's or RPG's, I'm instantly attuned to playing a mindless class or role. It's far easier to play something that is easy and gets the job done instead of playing something like a Mage/Sorcerer/Thief/Assassin where you actually need to use your class toolkit correctly to make up for your passive inferiorities.
    Nice amount of jabs at people there. Considering you end saying Mage/Sorcerer/Thief/Assassin require skill, where most of the toolkit is stand at a distance/Stay stealthed, do a heap of damage and run.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually play pet or tank classes. For tanks I always like Paladins and Shadowknights or something similar. ATM I don't play those in wow because I dont' currently like their playstyles, but typically I gravitate towards these. For pet classes, The Necro or something similar. I'm not talking like the Warlock and commanding demons, I mean Undead. And Hunter types.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

The heavily-armored death machine that can also tank shit if necessary.

3 warriors in WoW, all with an Arms spec primary and Prot secondary, 2 DKs with 2H Frost/Blood specs, 1 Ret/prot Paladin. Had 2 commandos in Star Wars Galaxies. A commando and a bounty hunter in Old Republic. My main in Destiny is a Titan. Any single player RPG is typically the same: some type of warrior in fantasy settings or some kind of commando in sci-fi settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melee basically (Warrior Type).

Pet and magical dot classes, which tend to meld together.

In WoW it was a demonology warlock, in Rift and GW2 it was a necromancer, and right now in FFXIV it's a summoner.

I don't know what it is that draws me to pet classes so much, I guess I just like the idea of controlling two things at once, it makes me feel like I'm busier (even if I'm actually not)

As well, I'm inheritably drawn towards classes with cruel and dark reputations (again, like warlock and necromancer), I've always been in love with the metaphysical concept of "dark, but not evil".