Page 1 of 44
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

70% of men aged 20 - 34 are not married - CNS News

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...re-not-married

So it looks like folks aren't getting married, at least the younger ones that is and the thing that slightly bothers me about this article and a trend I see a lot in RL is that if you post phone marriage and investing in a family you're considered in a state of "perpetual adolescence" when you're probably better off to stay single financially... Also, when this subject is brought up, a lot of shaming language seems to get brought into the fold and even though it's just words it's still mildly bothersome sometimes.

What do you think about this? Also do you think they'll probably add a bachelor tax if this goes out of hand and people shut down the prospect of marriage out of their life?

Edit: Some folks were looking for what it's like for women and it looks similar, albeit there's a bit of a gap there.

While outdated, it's perfect safe to assume it's only increasing and if anyone has a more recent graph that'd be just peachy.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2015-03-11 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    Well to be fair, there aren't many benefits for a man to get married. It is especially bad since a divorce often costs the man, not the woman.

Also I think we are somewhat past an era where marriage is a particular necessity to "prove" a stable and healthy relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Well to be fair, there aren't many benefits for a man to get married. It is especially bad since a divorce often costs the man, not the woman.
    Agreed. Marriage now adays is just you betting another person that they will love you enough not to take half your shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Agreed. Marriage now adays is just you betting another person that they will love you enough not to take half your shit.
    The worst part is that there is barely any exaggeration involved in with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...re-not-married

So it looks like folks aren't getting married, at least the younger ones that is and the thing that slightly bothers me about this article and a tend I see a lot in RL is that if you post phone marriage and investing in a family you're considered in a state of "perpetual adolescence" when you're probably better off to stay single financially... Also, when this subject is brought up, a lot of shaming language seems to get brought into the fold even though it's just words it's still mildly bothersome sometimes.

What do you think about this? Also do you think they'll probably add a bachleor tax if this goes out of hand and people shut down the prospect of marriage out of their life?
    This article makes me cringe. Apparently they think married life is the only valid existence.

Looks like the gene pool is going to get flushed, only breeders matter.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    The trend will continue. I wonder how women will react to it. I imagine most of them will ignore the trend and keep aiming as high as possible.

Why get married when you can just play your 3ds dating game?

I saw no mention of if that poll asked if they lived with someone for an extended period of time (common law marriage) or if they had children making them a parent which could be considered an extended family thereby changing "bachelorhood". I hate when people present polls that are intentionally leaving out information that could alter the question being asked.

Hurray I'm another statistic! Marriages and families are overrated they just hold us back from doing what's best for our selves in the future by making us choose whats best for everyone else now.

I really don't see the problem here. People should feel free to marry or not to marry. I'd reckon that less marriage means there are more financially independent people (I would like to see a study on this), which is only a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    The trend will continue. I wonder how women will react to it. I imagine most of them will ignore the trend and keep aiming as high as possible.
    Oddly enough I watched a documentary not to long ago where it interviewed women who were forced to pay allimony to men they divorced.

I remember one woman who became a very successful lawyer after her husband helped pay for her college and took care of the kids while she went to school. Shortly after getting her own firm, she divorced him. She was LIVID at the idea that she, the woman, would have to pay a man allimony.

The irony was delicious

I would argue that there's not much of a reason to actually get married, especially given the very high failure rate and the costs often land on the man. Noticing a lot of people living with their significant others for years but not tie the knot nor intend to, even having children together. Marriage seems more like a tradition thing anymore that has the added bonus of giving a small tax break but could be disastrous if it goes south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I really don't see the problem here. People should feel free to marry or not to marry. I'd reckon that less marriage means there are more financially independent people (I would like to see a study on this), which is only a good thing.
    I want to say that some people were viewing it as the exact opposite about a year ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly enough I watched a documentary not to long ago where it interviewed women who were forced to pay allimony to men they divorced.

I remember one woman who became a very successful lawyer after her husband helped pay for her college and took care of the kids while she went to school. Shortly after getting her own firm, she divorced him. She was LIVID at the idea that she, the woman, would have to pay a man allimony.

The irony was delicious
    lmao... just.... =/

did they not take into consideration how that would happen?

10+ Year Old Account

The irony was delicious
    Name of the documentary? I want to taste that sweet sweet irony.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Everyone is forgetting how this statistic will go down once they allow gay marriage in all states. I want them to learn that getting married for economic reasons or health benefits is just as dumb as getting married because of children. I married for love, and divorced and remarried for love.

Marriage is outdated and always presents risk to at least one of the parties, if not both. The only reason to get married, in my opinion, is if children are involved. Otherwise you're just wasting time.

More people will figure this out on their own, after they've had a healthy dose of divorce court reaming.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Everyone is forgetting how this statistic will go down once they allow gay marriage in all states. I want them to learn that getting married for economic reasons or health benefits is just as dumb as getting married because of children. I married for love, and divorced and remarried for love.
    i think you're overestimating the amount of men desiring marriage with other men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I do wonder how lower that will be and how divorce will start to pan out.

I hear there's higher rates of abuse in homosexual couples, namely lesbians moreso than gay couples.

Also from purely anecdotal experience, hell hath no fury like two women's scorn that can't accept the fact that one will have to lose.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

The irony was delicious
    Yes, please tell us the name of this documentary.