Descent: Underground

So a friend showed me this the other day on Kickstarter. A development team with a lot of space sim experience wants to remake Descent, apparently as a massively PvP space capitalism game, possibly ala EVE or Star Conflict. EDIT: actually not like EVE. Much more team deathmatch FPS like the originals.

Descent was my absolute most favorite game for the majority of the 90's. I'd love to see it resurrected, although I'm not sure I'll be into the type of game they want to turn it into. I get that it bringing it into a genre with current appeal is a smarter move than a simple remake, though.

I would probably buy it at least to try it out. I love the original that much. Any other former fans watching this one?
    Last edited by Saucerian; 2015-03-11 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Descent isn't really a space sim is it? Not what i can remember from it, it had a sort of space/underwater feel to it but you were mostly fighting in more closed spaces then open ones.

Oh man, so much time after school wasted in the computer room on this game. We used to bash each other's heads in for hours.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasnt descent much more fast paced and shootery than a something like EvE would be? Cant really imagine it right now to be honest, especially with the small craft you used and the planet level environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Wasnt descent much more fast paced and shootery than a something like EvE would be? Cant really imagine it right now to be honest, especially with the small craft you used and the planet level environments.
    Yes definitely. it was basically a flying FPS.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Right, an FPS where you could turn and strafe on all 3 axes.

Maybe I made a poor comparison. I really don't know much about EVE. I've heard it called an "MMO spreadsheet". I imagine this game will be less spreadsheet and more deathmatch. But similar overarching design of players joining corporations and warring over resources.

I guess it all depends on whether it'll have an open world, as opposed to just a bunch of instanced arenas. Read: EVE Online as opposed to Star Conflict.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Well there was Descent and then Descent: Freespace.

Descent was cool as shit though. Might look forward to this.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    I guess it all depends on whether it'll have an open world, as opposed to just a bunch of instanced arenas. Read: EVE Online as opposed to Star Conflict.
    Probably the latter. The description seems to emphasize the FFA or team deathmatch multiplayer of the originals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Descent was just nhhhhh <3~!
    oh no unlocking spaceships with ingame credits? not every ship available to every player from the get go except for big backers? nooooooooooooope... plus it seems to be mostly a multiplayer title, i'm staying FAR FAR FAR FAR FAAAAAAAAR AWAY FROM IT just like star citizen, if it's good i'll buy it but hype has been reduced to 0
    Last edited by barackopala; 2015-03-11 at 09:38 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Descent was just nhhhhh <3~!
    oh no unlocking spaceships with ingame credits? not every ship available to every player from the get go except for big backers? nooooooooooooope... plus it seems to be mostly a multiplayer title, i'm staying FAR FAR FAR FAR FAAAAAAAAR AWAY FROM IT just like star citizen, if it's good i'll buy it but hype has been reduced to 0
    These things have all been cleared up directly from the Studio.

This will NOT be a Pay to Win game, anything that you can purchase in game can be earned just by playing the game or it will just be cosmetic.

There will be a full single player campaign rich in lore. The people that are developing this game are VERY clear what the Descent title means, are familiar with the series, and are listening actively to the community to make sure they get this right.

If you are a fan of Descent and have been waiting for the right studio to recreate the mayhem, I would suggest getting involved with the kickstarter to make sure this game does see the light of day.

Thank you for clarifying things better than I did, Strif3. The info on single player was added late, though, so I'm not sure how much emphasis they'll really put on it. And while they say everything non-cosmetic can be earned in-game, earning it will likely involve winning in PvP, where those who've paid may have advantages. So I take "not P2W" with a grain of salt.

Still, I backed it. I'm willing to give it a try.

The Kickstarter has a few hours left, if any other lurking Descent fans are interested.

I should also point out a couple other projects that some are saying are more like the original games: Sol Contingency and Sublevel Zero. I'm off to go check them out.
    Last edited by Saucerian; 2015-04-10 at 08:20 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played the ever living shit out of Descent 2. So many wicked weapons and some of the bosses were cool. Hated the thief drone that would steal your powerups. To me Descent had kind of the Doom influence in level structure and game design, you had to progress through levels by opening up specific pathways and beating bosses and enemies. Would love to see a new one made.