Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

No need for new class, yet...4th Specs!

Here is a general idea for 4th Specializations:

Death Knight: Lich
    Summary: The lich is a necromancer who raises minions from corpses. Casts shadow magic and frost magic.
    Role: DPS
    Primary stat: Intellect
    Unique features: Raise dead.

Druid: Guardian
    Currently exists

Hunter: Warden
    Summary: The Warden is a vigilant stalker. Relies on stealth and patience. Has ranged physical damage attacks.
    Primary stat: Agility
    Unique features: Stealth. Snare effects. Poisons.

Mage:Bronze
    Summary: Bronze specialized mages are trained in the art of time. They specialize in time reversal, fast forward, slow and teleportation.
    Unique features: Mobility. Speed. Stun/slow effects.

Monk: Ninja
    Summary: Monk Ninja's are covert agents of deception, infiltration, and spying. They utilize stealth, bombs, and mobility to disable their foes.
    Unique features: Can use 2h swords/axes.

Paladin: Spellbreaker (aka Shockadin)
    Summary: The Spellbreaker is justicar of all things magic. Relies on neutralizing threats and foes by using the Light to shock, stun, and steal magic.
    Unique features: Stun. Steal magic effects.

Priest: Inquisitor
    Summary: Iniquistors are passionate followers of the Light. As such, they seek out heretics of the Light and aim to destroy them in righteous fire.
    Unique features: Can equip shields. Uses fire damage spells.

Rogue: Bard
    Summary: Bards use deception, seduction, illusion, and persuasion to gain advantage in any situation. They are skilled in the arts of evasion and mitigation.
    Role: Tank
    Unique features: Can equip shields. Melee Tank abilities - incl. Active mitigation.

Shaman: Voodoo (aka Shadow Hunters from WC3)
    Summary: Voodoo Shaman draw their energy from the spirit world. Utilizes heals and curses. Also versatile with melee weapons.
    Role: Healer
    Unique features: Can equip 2h weapons.

Warlock: Demon Hunter
    Summary: Demon Hunters are warlocks who are sworn to pursue and eradicate the existence of all known demons. They themselves have embraced demonology to gain insight to the behaviors of their prey.
    Primary stat: Strength
    Unique features: Dual wielding 1h weapons. Metamorphism (a Melee combat version).

Warrior: Gladiator
    Currently exists

This list is just a brain storm. Feel free to C&C constructively.

While the idea of fourth specs is nice in some ways, there is an issue that comes with it. Much like doing the new models for the original six races is more work than making one neutral or two faction specific races, adding fourth specs to the ten classes that lack them is a lot more work than adding a new class. I mean all the balancing and design alone from adding what is essentially three and a third classes to the game is kind of a lot to take on.

While you are completely correct in that the work required to balance 11 new specializations > 1 new class, I still feel there is "some" design space for it in WoW. The intent is to address that some folks see Demon Hunters/Bards/Necromancers (aka Lich) as new Classes, whereas they can all be addressed via current Classes.
    Last edited by EXORAD; 2015-04-19 at 01:31 AM.

Another 4th spec thread and another thread saying druids shouldn't get an additional spec. Just so people know, yes, druids do currently have four specs, but nothing has changed, infact it was just a nerf to how feral was before by splitting their utility into two specs. If everyone gets a 4th spec, druids will get a fifth and you'd be silly to think otherwise.

Hunter: Melee DPS or Tank? (they can STILL equip melee weapons, and there are still a lot of Rexxar fans out there)

Shaman: Earth-theme Tank? (Healers is Water, Ele is Fire, Enh is Air)

Monk: Ranged Caster DPS??

I mean, I like your general idea, but you really need to branch out with some of your suggestions. Another ranged DPS role for hunters, or melee DPS for Monks, or healing for shaman . . . is so bleeeeh. Get creative!

Why would Druids get 5 specs? Don't tell me it's to be "fair". You can only play 1 spec at a time - and how many of us have druid alts by now?

I like all of these ideas. They fit perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyMuffy View Post
    Hunter: Melee DPS or Tank? (they can STILL equip melee weapons, and there are still a lot of Rexxar fans out there)

Shaman: Earth-theme Tank? (Healers is Water, Ele is Fire, Enh is Air)

Monk: Ranged Caster DPS??

I mean, I like your general idea, but you really need to branch out with some of your suggestions. Another ranged DPS role for hunters, or melee DPS for Monks, or healing for shaman . . . is so bleeeeh. Get creative!
    Monk Ninja maybe can be a ranged/ melee Hybrid. Just a thought?

What a great new and refreshing idea. Seriously why another one of these threads? It's a stupid idea

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't see this happening due to the fact Blizzard can't even balance out the current specs they have now. So, what makes you think 4th specs for every class down the road would be better? It'll just make things even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by EXORAD View Post
    Why would Druids get 5 specs? Don't tell me it's to be "fair". You can only play 1 spec at a time - and how many of us have druid alts by now?
    Why wouldn't they? some classes get new specs that allow them to even perform new roles and druids get nothing? lol no. Won't happen. Either only 1 class gets a special treatment like warlocks in MoP or they add something to every class. They can't give a new spec to everyone but druids.

A 4th spec for all current classes would be far more difficult and time consuming to balance and deal with than just a single new class with 3 trees.

Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrace View Post
    Don't see this happening due to the fact Blizzard can't even balance out the current specs they have now. So, what makes you think 4th specs for every class down the road would be better? It'll just make things even worse.
    Because I feel diversity in classes makes this game:
    a) re-playable (aka worth paying monthly for)
    b) satisfying lorewise

Deleted
    Tank Rogue? I like it... the idea of been some musical poet is not what I had in mind however! Vagabond, a Jack the lad with a swashbuckle and a katana would suit me just fine, pirate transmog to suit.

Honestly I just wish they would let us setup talents for the 3 spec's we have atm... I cant figure a single good reason to be limited to duel spec only at this point.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    While I welcome the idea of more int plate users, I rather not have Spellbreaker (who I feel could be a class on its own) as the Paladin's 4th spec ... it just feels tacked on. Same with Demon Hunter Warlocks and Shadow Hunter Shaman. Lich makes no sense for a DK either ... it seems too un-DK to me.

And warriors get the short end of the stick and Druids aren't much better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I can see you're new to wow if you think Lore has anything to do with WoW these days so let me remind you. Lore hasn't meant shit since we killed Arthas in WotLK, Lore died as did Warcraft when Arthas died, from there on Lore has had very little meaning besides those that like to roleplay with the little lore that's left.

As for diversity, man open your eyes, they can't and they won't add specs unless they can balance out what's already there. And they haven't been able to do that since the game LAUNCHED! It'll be a clusterfuck if they ever made such a stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    While I welcome the idea of more int plate users, I rather not have Spellbreaker (who I feel could be a class on its own) as the Paladin's 4th spec ... it just feels tacked on. Same with Demon Hunter Warlocks and Shadow Hunter Shaman. Lich makes no sense for a DK either ... it seems too un-DK to me.

And warriors get the short end of the stick and Druids aren't much better.
    The rationale for (as you pointed out) 'tacking onto' current classes is because I feel that these specific heroes (i.e. Demon Hunters, Shadow Hunter, Spellbreaker, Lich...) deserve a spotlight in the WoW universe. Having them developed as completely unique classes with 3 specializes each would incredibly cumbersome for design. Simply 'tack' onto current classes and ...problem solved!

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrace View Post
    Okay, I can see you're new to wow if you think Lore has anything to do with WoW these days so let me remind you. Lore hasn't meant shit since we killed Arthas in WotLK, Lore died as did Warcraft when Arthas died, from there on Lore has had very little meaning besides those that like to roleplay with the little lore that's left.

As for diversity, man open your eyes, they can't and they won't add specs unless they can balance out what's already there. And they haven't been able to do that since the game LAUNCHED! It'll be a clusterfuck if they ever made such a stupid decision.
    This argument is bad and you should feel bad. It defeats itself with the fact they have added new classes effectively 6 new specs to the game since launch. There were 9 classes to begin with ... so you are arguing they can add classes which add specs, but not add specs to current classes.

Now will they? No, but this argument doesn't prove it is a bad idea as it can also be stated that adding Monks and DKs were bad ideas as the classes weren't balanced. I see them adding specs slowly to the older classes ... maybe over an expansion, it certainly won't be a one time go.

Monks 4th spec should be a caster / chi energy focused dps. Ninja makes no sense for monks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    This argument is bad and you should feel bad. It defeats itself with the fact they have added new classes effectively 6 new specs to the game since launch. There were 9 classes to begin with ... so you are arguing they can add classes which add specs, but not add specs to current classes.

Now will they? No, but this argument doesn't prove it is a bad idea as it can also be stated that adding Monks and DKs were bad ideas as the classes weren't balanced. I see them adding specs slowly to the older classes ... maybe over an expansion, it certainly won't be a one time go.
    But it's not a good idea, we shouldn't be getting new specs when they can't even fix the ones we already have. That's just idiotic.