Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Director: George Miller
    Stars: Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult

The Mad Max reboot no one wanted or expected until they showed it to us.

I haven't been this excited about a new movie since Interstellar and its first teaser almost 2 years ago. Those fuggin practical effects!

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting a real 300 vibe with this. It looks fantastic and seems like a fuck load of fun.

Found a really cool quote about the film.

After George Miller screened the footage at a festival, Robert Rodriguze got up and said “I was inspired by you, I grew up watching your movies. I guess my question is how the hell did you make this? It’s go-for-broke cinema, it feels real.”

It's also pretty cool they're using the same actor that played the villain for the first film as the villain in this one.
    Last edited by Feral Camel; 2015-03-31 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love everything about this film... From the fact that 80% of the stunts were shot by strapping people into cars and doing horrible shit to them, to the fact they went back to the studio for reshoots and were given extra money to create something they dubbed "The Vehicle Launcher", via the fact that in an interview George Millar described it as "a 110 minute long car chase".

I cannot wait for this movie, I need it in my eyes RIGHT NOW. If they don't have an IMAX release titled "Mad IMAX" then I will have to build my own IMAX cinema and do it myself.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I cannot wait for this movie, I need it in my eyes RIGHT NOW. If they don't have an IMAX release titled "Mad IMAX" then I will have to build my own IMAX cinema and do it myself.
    Hahaha! Please send that to the studio!

Basically all positive and raving reviews so far concerning this movie. I'm so fracking excited to see it now.

The only reviewer I trust (and Jeremy Jahns but he hasn't reviewed it yet):

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Basically all positive and raving reviews so far concerning this movie. I'm so fracking excited to see it now.

The only reviewer I trust (and Jeremy Jahns but he hasn't reviewed it yet):

Yeah its surprisingly all been positive so far (98% - ‎55 votes). I'm seeing it tomorrow. Pretty excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    Yeah its surprisingly all been positive so far (98% - ‎55 votes). I'm seeing it tomorrow. Pretty excited.
    Totally, I would say I was 50/50 on it, since I thought the originals were decent. But after all the hype I'm definitely going to go and see it.

Deleted
    I've seen the trailers and don't really get all the hype about this movie to be completely honest. Yes, the special effects seem amazing, but that's all the movie appears to be. The trailer doesn't reveal much about the story (which is good) but it doesn't draw me in, making me wonder what it can bring (I'm thinking it's going to be about a guy called Max who tries to survive in a post-apocalyptic world).

I'll still go watch this movie as a movie fan, but not with super amazing expectations.

Ahhhh yea, I can't wait to see this. I have to watch the first three so I'm all caught up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Ahhhh yea, I can't wait to see this. I have to watch the first three so I'm all caught up.
    In no way needed .

This seems to be an almost standalone movie. That aside though, even if it wasn't there is NO reason at all to watch Mad Max, it's basically a no budget Aussie cop film. If you REALLY want to watch the previous ones (and you should, they're great) skip one and watch Mad Max 2(sometimes known as The Road Warrior) and Beyond Thunderdome, but it's not vital you watch them before Fury Road, because as far as I know the only connection is the name and the insane style

- - - Updated - - -

Just got back from seeing Mad Max: Fury Road.

I have no words. Brilliant film, visually one of the best films I've seen in years and benefits... Almost DEMANDS 3D to make the most of some of the amazing long shots of desert wilderness.

As for story... It's kinda like male nipples. I know there is one and at some point it may have served some kind of purpose, but now it's just sorta... There.

The cars, as you would expect from a Mad Max film are works of art. The giant driving amp/drum kit vehicle is one of the coolest things I've ever seen and now if I ever grow up and learn how to drive, the only thing I want is a War-rig .

The acting is fine, tbh in the whole 2hr film there's only about 2 pages of dialog, so there's not much to judge by. Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and surprisingly Nicholas Hoult all manage, in the somewhat limited dialog to make themselves into very likeable characters and the return of Hugh Keays-Byrne as the antagonist Immortan Joe is great, dripping in evil and super gross.

I only have two complaints, one SUPER minor and the other actually quite major...

Getting the little stuff out of the way, the dialog can be quite hard to understand at times, due to a combination of the constant explosions/music and their habit of speaking at least 25% nonsense. However this is a fairly minor complaint as of the little dialog there is, 90% seems to boil down to "Hey, go stab that guy till he explodes" so you're not REALLY missing much if you don't hear it.

Then my one major complaint... Despite being the main character in a film called "Mad Max" Tom Hardy's Max character doesn't really DO anything, tbh you could have lifted him out, or replaced him with a redshirt and the film would have continued pretty much as is. Charlize Theron's Imperator Furiosa is a far more important character (in addition to having a WAY cooler name), seems a strange choice to make a Mad Max film and not have him do anything worth of a main character.

Overall a brilliant brilliant film, mindless fun and a treat for the eyes and the ears (the music is amazing, like I want to buy the OST amazing), I highly recommend you check it out while it's still in the cinema.

Also, as I suspected, there is ZERO connection to the older films, you can easily stroll in and watch this one on it's own, so no worries

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Deleted
    So its a reboot, that is actually good?

We are in unknown territory now...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post

Even more hilarious:
    http://www.dailydot.com/geek/reviewe...-sexism/?tu=dd

Seriously. Oh, "Meninists", the hilarity of even attempting to present yourselves seriously makes my day.

George Miller is a filmmaking god. I am so excited for this movie. I've been amped since the first trailer's released. Ughhhh, Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron in a Mad Max movie. Perfecto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Then my one major complaint... Despite being the main character in a film called "Mad Max" Tom Hardy's Max character doesn't really DO anything, tbh you could have lifted him out, or replaced him with a redshirt and the film would have continued pretty much as is. Charlize Theron's Imperator Furiosa is a far more important character (in addition to having a WAY cooler name), seems a strange choice to make a Mad Max film and not have him do anything worth of a main character.
    Eh...that is fucked up..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly say she was the main character, Max was just along for the ride.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    I'd honestly say she was the main character, Max was just along for the ride.
    Yeah, that's kinda the point I'm trying to make . It's a film called "Mad Max" and Mad Max isn't the main character...

I mean it's not a HUGE problem, because she's a great character and tbh you don't watch this film for the plot, but it seems a bit of an odd choice.

Spectacular. Just got back from it and this just blew my expectations away. The scenery, action, cinematography, it all added up from one fantastic movie. I would recommend it instantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's kinda the point I'm trying to make . It's a film called "Mad Max" and Mad Max isn't the main character...

I mean it's not a HUGE problem, because she's a great character and tbh you don't watch this film for the plot, but it seems a bit of an odd choice.
    As Jeremy Jahns put it: "Should have been called Furiosa Road & Mad Max (yeah, he's in this movie, too)"

I've not seen the film yet (I will soon) but TBH, I don't think I'll be too upset if Max himself doesn't feature heavily in the film, as long as the stunts are good.

The stunts are kind of why you watch a Mad Max film.

I'd also disagree that Mad Max 1 should be skipped, it's not a bad 70s style film, and I kind of like how Toecutter's gang and their interactions with the town give you an indication of the world breakdown we see in full in Roadwarrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

I did find it a little annoying that they didn't try to fit this film into the time, instead leave it a vague (from what I've heard) sort of remake/sort of midquel/sort of reboot...but sort of not.

...then again if this does well we'll get 2 more Mad Max films so I can suck it up.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    As Jeremy Jahns put it: "Should have been called Furiosa Road & Mad Max (yeah, he's in this movie, too)"
    Yeah... I don't know why, but if it had been called "Mad Max: Furiosa Road" somehow that would have been more accetable...

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently 99% on the Tomatometer with 184 reviews counted so far!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post

Unknown territory you say?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_into_darkness/

Being a die-hard Trekkie that grew up on the original series these movies were hard sells to me. But they were A-FUCKING-MAZING.