Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No it's too long and could take you to the amount of an actual raid now adays.
    The game is vastly documented. Classes have been revamped to fill roles that weren't available to them at the time. At most, the instance would take 45 minutes, with today's gameplay at least.

Agreed. Has always been my favourite dungeon in wow. It's a shame when you compare the awesomeness of BRD to the unimaginative, hollow crap (¨bite sized chunks¨ - fuck that) Blizzard has come up with since. Just getting to the entrance of the dungeon was a small adventure in itself.

BRM is the definition of adventure in WoW.

You and 9 other people entering a huge place that would keep you occupied for hours. No plastic LFD-friendly wings, everything feels like a real place. That's why doing it through LFD feels so awkward. They forced "convenience" on a dungeon that was never meant to be convenient, resulting in a gaming experience that combines the worst of both worlds (inconvenient to do with strangers, immersion ruined through portals, wings & loading screens).

there is no other dungeon like it that's for sure, for good reason. when I was first leveling and spent hours trying to get past a few bosses. now I can look back and appreciate it's size and scope but god damn did I hate that place when I had to do it.

Deleted
    I'll just say it like this.

A game that doesn't make you say 'FUCK THIS' is really rarely a memorable game. Of course if you're just thinking this all the time then it's a bad game too, but having some frustrating moments, frustrating mazes, and so on is a core part of gaming. Design is all about finding the right balance between too frustrating (people quit because they're not playing to get endlessly frustrated) and not frustrating enough (people quit because it's tasteless)

Last edited by mmocf2aa074f10; 2015-07-25 at 04:45 AM.

Honestly, BRD is definitely the kind of dungeon i'd like to do, sadly wow did not go in that direction, to the point where its mostly about quick fast rewards. Blizzard would need to add incentive to make players clear the entire dungeon and spend the time there... it couldnt just be another regular dungeon.

Then again, if they do a dungeon of that size again, itll probably just be a raid in the end. I really wish blizzard put more emphasis on their 5man content. I'd love to see 5man progression as hard as mythic raiding, with similar ilevels... then again, blizzard probably wont do it because "players would feel forced to do both"

Never cared for it honestly. Was more of a Scholo fan. BRD originally was too long, exciting the first time or two but after that way too long. Now its not bad with the better dungeon maps etc, but still not my favorite. Give me Scholo or ST over it anyday. Strat would be after it for me. UBRS I always liked, never cared for LBRS. The entire concept though of Blackrock Mountain was great and has stood the test of time and been reused. Wish we had more zones with a cluster of things spanning expansions like Blackrock Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    Then again, if they do a dungeon of that size again, itll probably just be a raid in the end. I really wish blizzard put more emphasis on their 5man content. I'd love to see 5man progression as hard as mythic raiding, with similar ilevels... then again, blizzard probably wont do it because "players would feel forced to do both"
    outside of challenge modes not there isn't really anything to do with them at max level. but blizzard obviously rather make raids and treat dungeons as more and more of an afterthought.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a magnificent experience in its day - something that really challenged groups and contained tons of stuff to do. I'm just not certain the current game model would support such a massive place - dungeon experiences have become more and more stream-lined because that's what the bulk of people want.

I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a new type of content area that would recapture that feel - some kind of region that you could only enter with a group, with tons of powerful mobs and all sorts of areas to explore, treasures to find, things to do, events, etc.

I've long held that there is room for long sprawling dungeons in WoW, they just can't fit into the LFD system. I think WoW would benefit from having a huge BRD-like 5 player dungeon that was separate from the LFD dungeons, required a premade group, and had at least daily lockouts, maybe even twice-weekly lockouts like ZA. It would need to have unique rewards too most likely, and lots of quests associated with it like classic BRD. Difficulty wise it should be quite challenging, which requiring pre-made groups would give Blizz some leeway to make it harder than your typical Heroic.

I remember spending an entire Sunday once conquering BRD with a trade-chat PUG back in vanilla. It was a nice summer day and my sister practically begged me to come out to the lake and go boating with her and her husband, but I spent literally like six hours getting lost in BRD with a group trying to do every quest in there. We never even finished the damn place.
    Furthermore, I consider that China must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a new type of content area that would recapture that feel - some kind of region that you could only enter with a group, with tons of powerful mobs and all sorts of areas to explore, treasures to find, things to do, events, etc.
    Like the mountainous areas of Redridge Mountains during Classic, except an entire zone with all the new tech?

Yeah...that'd be sick.

The mistake game developers/designers make is not adapting to their player base fast enough, if at all. Players have simply outgrown the game. Imagine being taught algebra for years, you will not only grow bored but also intolerant of your teacher. Players need to feel engaged, they need to feel like they are learning while playing. The less players know, the more engaged they will feel when playing the game.
    Last edited by TheLittleBeast; 2015-07-26 at 05:29 AM.

Deleted
    I still have dear memories when these big dungeons had cool quests related to them, and you had to run them for rare crafting materials.

I agree. Blackrock Depths is near perfect in dungeon style.

probably my favorite dungeon of all time

i kinda miss old scholo though

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't miss begging people to go with me to do BRD to complete Onyxia attunement. Only thing people wanted to do was Prince runs. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I don't miss begging people to go with me to do BRD to complete Onyxia attunement. Only thing people wanted to do was Prince runs. That's it.
    That's not fault of the instance or its layout. Blizzard could have nullified the attunement or its requirements or made it more convenient to acquire.
    Last edited by TheLittleBeast; 2015-07-25 at 08:22 AM.

Deleted
    Blackrock Depths is where I learned how to actually play my class. None of the dungeons before it required the same effort.

I avoid this dungeon and strath like the plague. Scholo was awesome though(before they messed it up).

Deleted
    I agree. Still the most epic dungeon ever. It's about the atmosphere. I don't know why people even play this game, if all they want is speed and efficency, to get higher, meaningless numbers.
    Last edited by mmoc8e6adafa1d; 2015-07-25 at 09:04 AM.