Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Exclamation In regards to the new Mount in the Cash Shop

It's very clear on this forum that most people do not like the cash shop, and are rather angry that most of the "nicer" mounts are only available through the shop and real money. However, we must be in the minority, because its quite clear that these mounts sell a lot and this is why Blizzard continues to add them into the shop.

Its not a conspiracy about Blizzard wanting your money, they just see the amount of mounts that sell and think that we do not have a problem with it because we continue to buy from the shop.

If we want less mounts to be available in the shop, STOP BUYING MOUNTS FROM THE SHOP.

Its not enough to complain on forums about it and then go buy the mount anyways, that's not going to show Blizzard what we want.

If you stop buying them, they will stop selling them.
    - RIP Notorius Thugz - Miss you guys

Deleted
    The thing is, it isn't simply innocent of them to make us suggest they're 'only selling because of the numbers'. There is an element of psychology involved when we talk about store mount sales. Particularly, you have to consider the sunk cost fallacy, which basically links brand attachment to the value of something intrinsically attached to the brand.

For a lot of consumers, buying another store mount is simply a tiny purchase to them because of the amount of time they've spend playing WoW, and they see it as far less of an investment due to that attachment, when in fact, the fact is, they're buying that product, that for all intents and purposes (sorry folks) is a complete and total rip off.

It's the same when you draw comparisons to developers like Nexon, who extort money out of their veteran players in games like Maplestory and Combat Arms - the MTX are hardly so, some weapons cost upwards of 20, 40 dollars each in the latter game - and yet it is seen as far less of an investment because of the prior grind a lot of those players have already invested into an FPS like Combat Arms - the grind to get to the upper ranks in that game, and I take this from personal experience - is fucking insane. Want to hit General? See you in three years.

It's far less apparent and a lot more sneaky on Blizzard's part - because unlike them, and no matter how you put it, Nexon isn't triple-dipping on their games - they're F2P - no buy, no subscription, just microtransactions. Whereas Blizzard incorporates all three of those elements. Buying the game, subscribing, and paying for cosmetics - simply because they have access to a brand that has such a deep and intrinsic connection with the average player, that they can essentially do whatever they want and make money off of it - for the sole reason of brand attachment and the sunk cost fallacy. People are not willing to accept that something is priced horrifically, or even sold - because they compare that, say, $25, to the 150 days they've played on their main character, or something like that. They see it as little to no extra investment, when actually, it's crippling those of us who actually are looking from an external perspective, not attaching ourselves directly to the product, and it's hurting those of us who wish for the game to be in a better place in terms of amount of content and quality of content.

The problem comes, when people suggest Blizzard is completely innocent of their business practices, because they don't control their consumers' wallets. In some sense or another, when you have a game people have subscribed to for years, bought a number of expansions on top of that, on top of the box price, you are distorting the face value of things like microtransactions, to be of a far greater value and a far lesser investment, due to consumer attachment. The fact is, they know what they are doing, and they're going to continue to do it, as we've seen in the recent news.

As long as people keep having a deep attachment to the brand, keep falling into the sunk cost fallacy, and as long as Blizzard keeps taking direct advantage of their consumers, we will not see a change in the way things work.

Deleted
    At the same time, if you buy a mount on the store you'd want it to be more than just a recolour of an existing mount.

And what should those people who want to buy these mounts do? Should they stop doing it because you don't want them too?

I like it. Therefore "most" people like it.

Seriously, just because you don't like a thing doesn't give you the magic ability to declare it as disliked by "most"

In the end, people vote with their wallets and as soon as I get the chance I'm gettin' my moose.

And if I see you, I'm gonna mount my sparkle pony just because I know you'll rage.

Deleted
    Store mounts are coming, whether you like it or not. They'll be unique looking too.
    -Bashiok 2015

Making these threads is kinda nonsensical. We all know this mount would come to blizzard store sooner or later

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Store mounts are coming, whether you like it or not. They'll be unique looking too.
    -Bashiok 2015

Making these threads is kinda nonsensical. We all know this mount would come to blizzard store sooner or later
    Because disagreeing with a greedy decision is 'nonsensical'. Yeah. How stupid of the consumers. How dare they. Aren't they thankful?

Seriously, just because you don't like a thing doesn't give you the magic ability to declare it as disliked by "most"
    In the end, people vote with their wallets and as soon as I get the chance I'm gettin' my moose.
    And if I see you, I'm gonna mount my sparkle pony just because I know you'll rage.
    You like spending $25 on a single, baked model of a Moose?

I paid something like £40 for Wrath, and it was slightly more valuable than that.

But hey, go ahead. I attacked your preferences as a consumer. Shoot me and start yelling like everybody else who feels personally trodden on when we say you're fucking over the game by splurging on a virtual moose.
    Last edited by mmoc3277a835d2; 2015-08-13 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasolina View Post

Preach it! I'll be right there next to you (in spirit) cycling through my store and RAF mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Jmills View Post

If you stop buying them, they will stop selling them.
    Never have and never will buy them. Fight the power!

I spend over $50 just taking the kids to McDonald's, Over $75 just to get my family into the movie theater. I don't buy stuff from the blizz store because of a sunk cost, nor do I feel ripped off when i do buy things. The mounts and pets are cheap,and a lot of them are really nice. I make money so I can spend it on things I like. The "problem" of the Blizz store is yours and not theirs. Make more money and spending $25 on frivolous things wont feel so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Because disagreeing with a greedy decision is 'nonsensical'. Yeah. How stupid of the consumers. How dare they. Aren't they thankful?

You like spending $25 on a single, baked model of a Moose?

I paid something like £40 for Wrath, and it was slightly more valuable than that.

But hey, go ahead. I attacked your preferences as a consumer. Shoot me and start yelling like everybody else who feels personally trodden on when we say you're fucking over the game by splurging on a virtual moose.
    You seem mad… are you mad? Hold on, let me get on my sparkle pony, I find it makes people less mad when I'm sparkling next to them. I wonder if my moose will sparkle too? Gleeee

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ConanTheKing View Post
    At the same time, if you buy a mount on the store you'd want it to be more than just a recolour of an existing mount.
    I don't understand why people don't get this. A mount isn't going to sell if they just change the hue of an existing mount, and Blizzard is a business after all, not some indie development studio that smokes pot and refuses to make money.

If you don't like a business model where you're delivered 99.9% of all the game's content with a normal subscription, and the other 0.1% is offered as a premium add-on payment, don't use the premium or don't play the game?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    And what should those people who want to buy these mounts do? Should they stop doing it because you don't want them too?
    Buy them and not care about what others want you to do. At least that is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    My problem isn't the people that enjoy the mount shop, I cant stop them from spending their money on what they want. However, my main issue was with the outstanding number of people that always complain about blizz milking its customers and all the nice mounts are on the shop etc etc, and its these same people that complain are the ones buy it.

If you like it, go ahead and buy it. But if you fucking complain about it and then still go ahead and buy it, that's where the problem is.

I don't hate the cash shop at all, I haven't bought a mount and I probably never will, that's my choice, and its other peoples choice to spend their money on those mounts. but to complain about blizz and the still buy there mounts leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    - RIP Notorius Thugz - Miss you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jmills View Post
    My problem isn't the people that enjoy the mount shop, I cant stop them from spending their money on what they want. However, my main issue was with the outstanding number of people that always complain about blizz milking its customers and all the nice mounts are on the shop etc etc, and its these same people that complain are the ones buy it.

If you like it, go ahead and buy it. But if you fucking complain about it and then still go ahead and buy it, that's where the problem is.

I don't hate the cash shop at all, I haven't bought a mount and I probably never will, that's my choice, and its other peoples choice to spend their money on those mounts. but to complain about blizz and the still buy there mounts leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    Huh? How do you know it is the same people? If anything it is people like you that are complaining and wanting others to do what YOU want… you are the one raging because you won't get your moose.

Edit: to your new point… you've asked us to stop buying them, I've said no… are we done?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasolina View Post
    You seem mad… are you mad? Hold on, let me get on my sparkle pony, I find it makes people less mad when I'm sparkling next to them. I wonder if my moose will sparkle too? Gleeee
    I am simply the Frank Grimes of this forum - det is Homer, by the way. If you haven't watched that episode I highly recommend it.

Funny that you mention Sparkle ponies, you can buy your very own rainbow unicorn on Heroes of the Storm for a low, low price, right now! Because the hip new way to progress in games, is to hand over your money, and begin to feel yourself become legendary.

"It's in The Fantasy™" - Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    I am simply the Frank Grimes of this forum - det is Homer, by the way. If you haven't watched that episode I highly recommend it.

Funny that you mention Sparkle ponies, you can buy your very own rainbow unicorn on Heroes of the Storm for a low, low price, right now! Because the hip new way to progress in games, is to hand over your money, and begin to feel yourself become legendary.

"It's in The Fantasy™" - Blizzard
    For the record. I own both the rainbow unicorn AND the rainbow unicorn goat in HotS. Just saying.

If blizzard could legally do so, they'd just reach directly into your bank account and take all of it.

OP's point was to speak with your wallet. If people stopped buying them, they'd stop making them. But shop mounts and pets will exist as long as blizzard keeps ripping suckers off. A fool and his money are easily parted. It has always been that way and companies like blizzard count on it and rely on it to milk you for as much as they can. People see something new and flashy, they'll spend money on it to pretend they're cool. Reality is people who buy these fancy store mounts stop using them very shortly after buying them, or rather, until they see something more prestigious.

TONS of people bought star ponies. The streets were thick with them, you couldn't walk downtown without seeing 20+ people riding them.

Where are they now? Collecting dust in people's mount journal.

Same goes for all those cash shop mounts. Only one people ride anymore is the purple cat because it is the newest. Sure people will buy the moose and ride it around and act like they are showing off or whatever their psychological damage is that causes them to buy it, but 2 months from now you won't see them anymore.

I'm not "morally opposed" to the cash shop or anything in general. I think free to play games need to use them to make money and it is understandable. What irritates me about blizzard is they are a monthly sub game, and throwing out "expansions" for lump sums every couple years, AND having a cash shop on top of that. It's just unreasonable. They should go one way or the other. I don't mind cash shops so you can buy specifically what you want and I don't mind monthly subs. But having to do both to get all the content? That's just greed. There's no way around it. Greed.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2015-08-13 at 03:02 PM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Where are they now? Collecting dust in people's mount journal.
    Not necessarily true. There are still quite a lot of people using the various store mounts. Granted, you don't see as many of them around as "Oh I am so special"-Invincibles etc., but saying that no one uses them anymore is plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Not necessarily true. There are still quite a lot of people using the various store mounts. Granted, you don't see as many of them around as "Oh I am so special"-Invincibles etc., but saying that no one uses them anymore is plain wrong.
    It has been literally years since i've seen a sparkle pony and I play on one of the highest pop servers in the US.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.