Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Where were you when, you realized a favorite actor couldn't act.

I know I am not alone, you and a co worker, at chewing up some time when it slow at work, and you go through a list of some of your favorite movies through the years, and your favorite actors, and then all of a sudden it happens. Someone you admired or remember fondly of certain works comes to question as to their acting ability, or maybe it's a movie and YOU MUST DEFEND THEM OR IT.

Then maybe times goes by and for whatever reason, maybe you are watching said actor in a show, you are excited about this because hey it's your favorite actor, and then suddenly it hits you, THEY CAN'T ACT and what's worse is they are kind of horrible and limited in range as some have said, what do you do?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pauly Shore. the movie Son-In-Law. I was about 7.

Pauly Shore movies are still a Guilty Pleasure.

I never 'liked' an actor who couldn't act. That seems illogical to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    So you were born a sophisticated adult, you never simply likes an actor for the novelty of it?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I find there are many terrible Actors, that have endearing personalities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I find there are many terrible Actors, that have endearing personalities.
    Yeah, I have to agree, this is one of those thing where I think, you become aware of your own blind spots, I mean don't get me wrong, I still like said actor, and will probably be one of the few suckers that will stick with em, but yeah it's kind of hard when you suddenly realize why a favorite actor you like isn't getting work.

I have a long list of actors I appreciate for various reasons. Whether a particular role they did hit home for me, or their films are generally of higher quality. The only actor I can think of who fits your thread title for me is Nicolas Cage. Every time he comes out with a new movie, I cringe through as much of it as I can before turning it off.

From the actor who brought us such great movies as Face Off, the Rock, and Con Air, it's hard to believe his last dozen movies have been so shitty. He wasn't terrible in Joe, and his performance in Kick Ass was passable. It just seems like his last good movie was National Treasure, and everything since then is just him trying to make some money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I have a long list of actors I appreciate for various reasons. Whether a particular role they did hit home for me, or their films are generally of higher quality. The only actor I can think of who fits your thread title for me is Nicolas Cage. Every time he comes out with a new movie, I cringe through as much of it as I can before turning it off.

From the actor who brought us such great movies as Face Off, the Rock, and Con Air, it's hard to believe his last dozen movies have been so shitty. He wasn't terrible in Joe, and his performance in Kick Ass was passable. It just seems like his last good movie was National Treasure, and everything since then is just him trying to make some money.
    That would be due to the fact that he was so far in debt he signed something like a 12 movie contract to get him out of debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post

Yeah, you hit some pretty good contenders.

Actors I enjoy that can't act

Nicolas Cage - Can't act, almost thought he could act a couple of times, but rewatching some of those films, I realized he can't act.
    Samuel L Jackson - He always Plays Samuel L Jackson, which isn't really a bad thing
    The Rock - Although He seems to have his moments, he basically plays the same guy every time.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger- Can't act but again enjoy watching his movies, so I don't care.

I don't really follow actors. I've never once been turned off or on to a movie by hearing "oh, by the way, will smith is in it."

Director and plot play a much, much bigger role in a movie than an individual actor imo. I don't think i've ever seen a case where theres a really good director and plot, and the director has some how let really awful acting destroy the movie or plot. He simply is a terrible director if he does.

Nicolas Cage can act, he just should learn when to say ''no'' to shitty movies.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Nicolas Cage can act, he just should learn when to say ''no'' to shitty movies.
    This. He just doesn't seem to be able to play the parts given to him recently.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bruce Campbell, only I like the way he "acts"
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Used to be quite a fan of Will Ferrell. Eventually came to realize that he does the same sort of shtick in every role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    So you were born a sophisticated adult, you never simply likes an actor for the novelty of it?
    No. The delight is supposed to be that the actor is good, no?

What would be likable about an actor who was unable to do the thing they are supposed to do for entertainment or consideration?

It's like asking if one has ever liked an unfunny comedian. The premise is absurd.

I think I normally accept them as them. People like Nic Cage, Charlie Sheen and Matt McCognahuey are just being themselves in 95% of their roles, and I kinda like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Hard to pick between Anthony Hopkins and Sir Laurence Olivier...ugh, they're just terrible!

Nah. I'm actually going to go with Harrison Ford, who has always been solid but not really great.

Vin Diesel. He was so cool in the first Fast & Furious film, but then when his other movies came out I'm like oh, he just IS this guy. He's not actually acting.

I mean Im not sure I get this... my favorite actor is... yea you guessed it by my avatar - Arny! and although I love his acting in (90%) of his movies I guess most of the rest of the world thinks he can't act?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Vin Diesel. He was so cool in the first Fast & Furious film, but then when his other movies came out I'm like oh, he just IS this guy. He's not actually acting.
    This is all too common nowadays across almost all actors. We used to call it typecasting... then we realized 'wait, they always get roles like this because they are just being themselves.. not really acting.'

Christopher Walken can't act. He's always "playing" the same character with the same mannerisms in every film. People just like him. He burst on the scene in the late 70s and won an Oscar for the Deer Hunter, but that was before everyone realized he had no range. He got nominated for another for Catch me If You Can, but even there, he's playing the same character he always does.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.