Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Racial Balance - Future for the Horde

So the new patch notes are out for September 1st that have some pretty exciting news for PvP. They're changing some racials around on the Horde side! There's a few things to keep in mind though before reading though.

A) These are untested, there's no true way of knowing how good/bad they are yet.
    B) It's Pre-Legion, we have no idea of the changes to come, changes that could completely shift the balance of the September 1st changes.
    C) There could be more Alliance/Horde changes over the next few months.

With all of these in mind, on surface value they're looking pretty positive.

Blood Elf
    Arcane Torrent now Silences all enemies in an 8 yard radius for 3 seconds (up from 2 seconds), and cooldown has been reduced to 1.5 minutes (down from 2 minutes).
    Goblin
    Rocket Barrage now has a 1.5-minute cooldown (down from 2 minutes).
    Rocket Jump now has a 1.5-minute cooldown (down from 2 minutes).

Orc
    Hardiness now reduces the duration of Stun effects by an additional 20% (up from 15%).

Troll
    Voodoo Shuffle now reduces the duration of all movement impairing effects by 20% (up from 15%). Trolls still be flippin' out mon!

Tauren
    War Stomp now stuns enemies for 3 seconds (up from 2 seconds), and cooldown has been reduced to 1.5 minutes (down from 2 minutes).

So as you can see, there's some pretty mighty changes there. Taurens and Blood Elfs are the highlights in my opinion, the 3 second CC effects on a 1.5 minute cooldown are vastly better than the previous versions. I found Arcane Torrent already to be a game changer at times.

Now we're weighing these up against the Alliance Human EMFH. In its current state, EMFH is most likely still better due to the burst damage you can get from the extra trinket slot. Although in Legion they're disabling the trinket slot altogether, leaving Humans with a free pvp trinket with EMFH + a 2nd talent from the first tier tree, this could be marginally worse than having a 3 second CC ability on a 1.5 minute cooldown!

Altogether I think they're headed in the right direction for racial balance! In an ideal world they could just remove racial abilities having a significant, if not any affect on players power, just cosmetic type things like minor talents.

How's everybody feeling about these changes, anybody as excited as I am? Try to keep this free of Blizz-Bashing as it's getting a bit boring at this point

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19820046/
    Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ldstar-DLC-501
    Last edited by mmocf6edb8744c; 2015-08-20 at 08:32 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except Blood Elf racial changes, everything seems fine from Ally side perspective.

Deleted
    Next expansion: it's going to be a bloodelf spree :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the changes

Deleted
    EMFH is still significantly better than all those.

It really feels like they will not address EMFH, and will alter everything else, other racials and even introduce "mercenary mode" just not to touch EMFH.

When Humans are still dominating PVP, then what? Tweak the racials again? Merge the factions?

They will do anything to fix this -EXCEPT- touch the actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Into View Post

It really feels like they will not address EMFH, and will alter everything else, other racials and even introduce "mercenary mode" just not to touch EMFH.

When Humans are still dominating PVP, then what? Tweak the racials again? Merge the factions?

Don't realy see a problem with this, instead of taking an ability out or nerf the crap out of it, they try to even it out by improving others. Might be a bit more work, but it's a positive spin.

Deleted

How is it going to be MUCH better when they remove trinkets from pvp altogether?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Don't realy see a problem with this, instead of taking an ability out or nerf the crap out of it, they try to even it out by improving others. Might be a bit more work, but it's a positive spin.
    I think they're trying to get the pvp balance back to 50/50. If they nerfed EMFH it wouldn't be a big enough reward to make players spend the money on the faction change. However, if they buff the other factions racials and make them much more appealing, players are more likely to transfer

God damn it BLIZZ. Just delete racials arleady instead of trying to "balance" them. The only balance would be if NO ONE had any advantage for fuck sake.

Or turn off racials in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    How is it going to be MUCH better when they remove trinkets from pvp altogether?
    Because human are going to get other talent option like -20% CC while still having "free trinket", other races will for sure go for it.

I honestly don't give a dam what they do and how they balance the racials for PVP. Just get it done already. Waiting 20 mins in a bg queue and then getting Strand of the Ancients is enough to make me quit the game. Doing random BGs in WOW is much like a trip to the DMV now if you play Alliance. And if you play Horde it's a digital suicide mission for 50 honor pts. And yes, the queue is 20 mins with AV and IOC blocked cause if I don't block them, the queue will be closer to 30 mins. I've been playing since the start WOTLK and I've enjoyed < 2mins for random bgs up and until the past 2 months. Maybe I've been spoiled I don't know, but nearly 7 years of instant queues is quite a long time. Oh and I'm tired of hearing idiots say "if you want shorter queues play Horde."

I think they're trying to get the pvp balance back to 50/50. If they nerfed EMFH it wouldn't be a big enough reward to make players spend the money on the faction change. However, if they buff the other factions racials and make them much more appealing, players are more likely to transfer
    Yes, I'm sure "Balancing PvP to 50\50" is indeed one of their goals.

They have put themselves in a very delicate situation where it will be very difficult to bring the balance (which wasn't perfect but was better than the one we have) the PvP Factions Numbers again.

The only thing that, in my opinion, would have any significant effect in the populations would be over-buffing the Horde Racial Skills or over-nerfing the Alliance ones. And while that would be a significant effect, it wouldn't be a positive one, as the problem would simply just shift sides.

Attempting to balance racials will simply just leave the masses where they are, as they'd have to pay to go back. Same applies with just removing. No real incentive so people will settle.

I honestly don't see a good solution to this issue. But then again, I'm not a programmer so I dunno what the hell I am talking about, nor if there is an issue or not.

One thing is sure - this all situation with the racials, while quite bad for the game itself in terms of balance, is awkwardly good financially for Activision-Blizzard, as any Faction Transfer is a financial victory. (But then again, I'm not an economist, I dunno if extra income is good or bad..)

Depending on how strong the talents are (and based on their musings, pretty damn strong) EMFH will be even stronger than it is now. Right now, due to the current CC break trinket being so strong statwise, it partially dampens the strength of EMFH. Remove that, and give them an extra talent? Seems like it will be a lot stronger than it is now.

If they simply get rid of EMFH and all the other racials, then all the bandwagon jumpers will go Horde and the situation will reverse itself. Ally will have instant queues again and the Horde will wait 15 mins for a random Bg. That's pretty much the way things were back in MOP and late Cata. Doesn't solve the problem, just shifts the burden to the other side.

I'm the last person who actually wants to defend Blizzard, but this is truly not the easy solution a lot of people believe it to be. I am even surprised they bothered to acknowledge the problem, let alone do something about it and do it in mid season (something they hardly ever do). The bottom line is Blizzard created this problem when they recently lowered the CD on PVP trinkets from 2 mins to 1 min. That's when the random bg queue times went from <2 mins to >15 mins. Part of me really wonders if they do this sort thing on purpose to instigate faction changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    One thing is sure - this all situation with the racials, while quite bad for the game itself in terms of balance, is awkwardly good financially for Activision-Blizzard, as any Faction Transfer is a financial victory. (But then again, I'm not an economist, I dunno if extra income is good or bad..)
    It's actually terrible for them financially. They may gain some small bump in transfer $$$, but they lose players, which = lost long term revenue. This level of imbalance is not good for their game long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post

I'm the last person who actually wants to defend Blizzard, but this is truly not the easy solution a lot of people believe it to be. I am even surprised they bothered to acknowledge the problem, let alone do something about it and do it in mid season (something they hardly ever do). The bottom line is Blizzard created this problem when they recently lowered the CD on PVP trinkets from 2 mins to 1 min. That's when the random bg queue times went from <2 mins to >15 mins. Part of me really wonders if they do this sort thing on purpose to instigate faction changes.
    Yeah, I'll be first to say I have a lot of solutions to many of Blizzard's problems, but this problem is not one of them. I don't see any easy fixes to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    It's actually terrible for them financially. They may gain some small bump in transfer $$$, but they lose players, which = lost long term revenue. This level of imbalance is not good for their game long term.
    Apparently, they no longer need as many subscribers to keep the game profitable.

Focusing on new expansions and side-ways of getting revenue is where it's at.

Do note I'm not saying what you say is wrong, because it's not. More subscriptions = even more money. But also equates more work as someone would have to figure out how to fix this mess.

Deleted
    Undead racials needed to be buffed

Deleted
    Well, guess they need to buff Alliance racials for PvE as well Horde for PvP, as Alliance dominate PvP and Horde PvE. c:

Quote Originally Posted by LanokirX View Post
    Well, guess they need to buff Alliance racials for PvE as well Horde for PvP, as Alliance dominate PvP and Horde PvE. c:
    The alliance racials are already solid for PvE - people just have no reason to change because they're balanced and the majority is now on horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The alliance racials are already solid for PvE - people just have no reason to change because they're balanced and the majority is now on horde.
    And tuning the racials PvP wise for the Horde, will turn more to the Horde? Feels like it would cause a big unbalance imo. : /

Quote Originally Posted by LanokirX View Post
    And tuning the racials PvP wise for the Horde, will turn more to the Horde? Feels like it would cause a big unbalance imo. : /
    You'd have a point if the alliance PvP racials weren't significantly better prepatch - which they were.

If they overstep minorly I doubt it's going to cause a shift. Having shit all vs EMFH is what it takes to cause a shift (and in pvp its so much easier to cause shifts because arena teams are smaller - so if it goes too far you just tweak back)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever they do, someone will moan about the outcome of any changes they make.
    Personally I think the changes are a good thing but clearly there are those who won't be happy regardless.