Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rumored limited GW2 trial arriving with HoT

The GW2 PAX reveal was leaked early by IGN and the video seemed to point to GW2 going F2P. Some people datamined the client and found that it is going F2P but only to level 15. Here's the info that was data mined...

Possibilities (gathered from the strings, obviously could have changed since):

Only one or two character slots
    Limit of level 15
    Seems like a limit on how high a "rank" you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)
    Only able to send mail to friends.
    Can't send items or gold through mail
    Can't speak in map chat
    Can't access Team Arenas
    Can't access main WvW maps (EB and Borderlands)
    Can't sell items on TP.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/27/gu...ts-a-big-deal/
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-08-28 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Title changed to be less controversial

We call something like this.... a trail...

/facepalm
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I call it a trial.

So basically nothing? This is just going to piss people off too:

"We just told them the price for HoTs was 50 because it included the base game!"

"Then we included part of the base game for free!"

This is actually some of the worst, if not the absolute worst business practices I have ever seen. Ever. Not to mention, if we STILL don't have a release date after this event, I am gonna just sell my account. Seriously, this drought is worse than anything Blizzard has ever pulled, mainly because there is nothing to do outside of a few zergs in Silverwastes and WvW if you are on a big server.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2015-08-27 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post

"We just told them the price for HoTs was 50 because it included the base game!"

This is actually some of the worst, if not the absolute worst business practices I have ever seen. Ever. Not to mention, if we STILL don't have a release date after this event, I am gonna just sell my account. Seriously, this drought is worse than anything Blizzard has ever pulled, mainly because there is nothing to do outside of a few zergs in Silverwastes and WvW if you are on a big server.
    This so much, especially when you consider the big selling point of HotS and the GW2 discounts when the expansion was announced seven months ago was that you'd be getting it at an exceptionally fine price - now a little over a fourth of what your getting is now free (therefore decreased dollar value).

Makes me want to buy the expansion even less, and does make me look at that refund offer again.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

/facepalm
    Yeah, said the same thing when WoW said "F2P! (to 20)" with their ads. Call a trial a trial. Or Intro, or anything.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    They're had the system in the game for awhile (I remember because I made a trial character), its just that only used it that one time. I guess its going to be a permanent feature now? Makes sense because people are always going on about MMOs needing trials.

GW1 has a trial (a timed one). This is a trial in reality. Not sure this is a big deal.

Deleted

OH NO! They made a trial, the world is ending, they lied, they said they'd give people the base game in that expansion and now they're making a trial for people who want to try the game! They're horrible beings! WHY WOULD THEY WANT PEOPLE TO TRY THEIR GAME? Worst business practice ever.

Seriously thought, overreact much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    OH NO! They made a trial, the world is ending, they lied, they said they'd give people the base game in that expansion and now they're making a trial for people who want to try the game! They're horrible beings! WHY WOULD THEY WANT PEOPLE TO TRY THEIR GAME? Worst business practice ever.

The irony.

Do I see one of the most retarded controversies being fabricated out of thin air live?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post

Im not mad about the trial, I am mad at there overall business practices. They have so far shown an expansion that has less content than Warlords of Draenor while all they have done for 8 months is "redo" Lion's Arch, add shit to the Cash Shop, and break the Hall of Monuments for many people, myself included, because they released a patch without testing things and instead of fixing it, they just ignored it. The Raids are a neat idea, but they still have yet to showcase anything remotely important related to Guild WARS, you know, what the game is named after, and what its predecessor had plenty of? We got a small trailer that showed pretty much nothing we couldn't already guess, and then an announcement that you can play for free till Level 15. Judging by the official forums, which I might add, are MUCH MORE TAME, than MMOC, or the WoW Forums, I am not the only one who has this opinion at all. It seems a great many people have been very put off by ArenaNet's apparent lack of appreciation for people who aren't new to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call that a trial if it is f2p 10 15. Which isn't bad everyone has one.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted

/facepalm
    Indeed. Does not really feel like a big reveal. Meh

/facepalm
    No Zito a trail is something you walk on . But on topic glad its getting a f2p trial means more people can see the game and then see if it is for them.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I was scared when I first read it.

Well, if it is just a Trial, then I'm ok with this.
    Let new ppl experience the game!

10+ Year Old Account
    but gw2 is already f2p...

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    but gw2 is already f2p...
    It is Buy2Play, huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuuj View Post
    It is Buy2Play, huge difference.
    oh yes. clearly a major difference

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    The Raids are a neat idea
    How are raids even supposed to work without any form of trinity? Dungeons are a clusterfuck of everyone just spamming damage already, are raids just gonna be the same thing? Meh/10