Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation [Iron Maiden] The Book of Souls is out!

Greetings, champions!

Good news for us, fans of Iron Maiden: the new album, The Book of Souls is already out, and you can hear it on Spotify for free if you want.

The Book of Souls is the sixteenth studio album by British heavy metal band Iron Maiden, released on 4 September 2015. It is the band's first studio double album, and therefore also their longest to date, with a total length of 92 minutes. It also marks the longest gap between studio releases in the group's career at five years, following 2010's The Final Frontier. The album's launch and its supporting tour were delayed to allow vocalist Bruce Dickinson time to recover from treatment which he received in early 2015 to remove a cancerous tumour.
    (Wikipedia)

Info on the new Album:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Souls
    http://www.ironmaiden.com/thebookofsouls/

Buy The Book of Souls
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Book-Sou.../dp/B00ZVFYVMM

Link for Spotify:
    https://play.spotify.com/album/4vSfHrq6XxVyMcJ6PguFR2

I give it 8.5/10. Great album! Some of the tracks are a bit repetitive, but IMO it's better than The Final Frontier.

See you soon!

I just finished my first listen and i'm done picking up my brain from the floor. Empire of the Clouds blew my mind, start to end. I loved Dickinson playing a certain instrument for the first time on an album. It's a long and pretty heavy album, so i'll need to listen to it a few more times before it fully sinks in, but i'm loving it so far.

Their new proggy direction is awesome. The Red and the Black, The Book of Souls and The Empire of the Clouds stand out so far, and there's no really weak song on the album, which is great considering it's a double-disc.

I'd probably give it a 9-ish/10 for the first listen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely love the album. At 90 something minutes, it's a lot to take in (especially for the first sitting). First track was actually re-done from a demo for Bruce's next solo album (so f'n excited for that!) and maiden's first recording in drop D tuning. I wasn't a great fan of the single (but can still appreciate it), though extremely happy with the rest of the album. So many stand out tracks! Tears of a Clown (based on the late Mr Robin Williams) is incredibly catchy. Empire of the Clouds is so epic, and the title track wields the signatory Maiden gallop part way in.

For Maiden fans it's a must buy. For those who are yet to check them out, I really recommend this one. ♥

Is it better than their recent output? Final Frontier and A Matter of Life or Death were both boring, Dance of Death had a few great tracks(Paschendale, title track, Montsegur) but several lackluster ones as well, how does this compare to those?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's their best since Brave New World personally. Solid album, naysayers are gonna say that it's not offering anything new, but it's classic Maiden.

Half way through on my first listen and I have to admit it's better than I expected it to be. Now, I'm an old-school Maiden fan - my first album of theirs was Number of the Beast way back in 1982, so I've been listening to them for well over 30 years. Book of Souls has so far impressed (I'm currently on track 6 - the title track), far more than anything they've done since Seventh Son. I liked Final Frontier, for me it was the best thing they'd done since Fear of the Dark, but I think this album is indeed shaping up to be their best in 27 years.

Man, I feel old sometimes ....

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Empire of the Clouds is certainly one of their best.
    Amazing piano in the intro and great progression overall.

Bruce's voice really is amazing.

Good now just start the new tour and get the hell here already, up the irons biiiiiiiitches!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Cunnilingus gives you throat cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Is it better than their recent output? Final Frontier and A Matter of Life or Death were both boring, Dance of Death had a few great tracks(Paschendale, title track, Montsegur) but several lackluster ones as well, how does this compare to those?
    It's the same. Pretty uninspired, mediocre at best.

Pretty solid. Listened to it a couple of times and only found a few groaners.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been enjoying it. Most of it is as good as Dance of Death, some of it is as good as Brave New World. All of it is better than A Matter of Life and Death and waayyyy better than The Final Frontier.

IMO, The Final Frontier is their worst album. Possibly worse than either of the Blayze Bailey records, and that's saying something. At least Virtual XI had "Futureal" and "The Clansman" on it.

I'm loving what I've heard so far. It's definitely a proper Maiden album.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Possibly worse than either of the Blayze Bailey records, and that's saying something.
    yes but without Bailey, we wouldn't have Bruce to do this live

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speed of Light kind of sounds like a watered-down El Dorado at times, but otherwise great album from my favorite band!!

I don't think the specifics of the tour have been announced yet, but I'm planning on it if I can. Seeing Maiden live is something on my bucket list that I still haven't checked off yet.