Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The Martian (2015): 9/10

Yep, this did exactly what I wanted it to do. Really well executed stuff overall. Only thing that didn't really resonate with me is the lack of the feeling of complete helplessness and isolation, some people are cold blooded about stuff, but no one can remain that cool.
    Matt Damon confirmed as coolest guy on Mars.

Deleted
    The Martian (2015): 9/10

Yep, this did exactly what I wanted it to do. Really well executed stuff overall. Only thing that didn't really resonate with me is the lack of the feeling of complete helplessness and isolation, some people are cold blooded about stuff, but no one can remain that cool.
    It takes a fool to lose their rag in a life or death situation. Sitting there and getting angry with it all wont help. And crying over yourself wont either.

I liked the way the character was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    It takes a fool to lose their rag in a life or death situation. Sitting there and getting angry with it all wont help. And crying over yourself wont either.

99% of the people on this planet are fools apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post

Why does it take a fool to experience something very human like overwhelming, crippling fear, when you're calculating whether you will die or not? No one can keep his cool in that situation.

Saw Sinister on TV the other day. Like ScyFi channel. I saw the ending before but never saw the full thing.

Setting is really good. Living in the house where a family got hung. The house itself is a tiny bit creepy. Their old house was baller as fuck. But otherwise the setting felt lacking since you never even see a neighbor's house. The part with the sherriff feels low budget, like all those movies where the sherriff is some stiff who turns out to terrorize outsiders. (Of course he's actually a good guy, but his placement or the way he was acted, meh.)

Plot is good. But like. The movie starts off trying to piece things together in a realistic way, and it becomes a bit too supernatural for me. Like, the myth of the story is an okay explanation for how things are happening but it kinda leaves me unsatisfied. Maybe if I was in a theater it'd be cool. But in between commercials it's like "ehhh."

Scariness is okay. It's like your trying to figure out why a family of 4 was hanged, and you're in that house so spooky shit starts happening. So you have that tension a good amount of time. But it's also like family drama a bit so maybe that detracts from it being a pure horror.

I'll give it a 6.5/10. It's not a perfect movie, but if you want to see a scary movie I'd recommend it.

The Lakehouse - 10/10

Keanu Reeves plays a good Keanu Reeves.

The Green Inferno 6/10. I love horror movies, I am not offended by gore either. The problem with the film is that it doesn't go far enough. It's been a long time since a cannibal horror film was made and I can't recall one ever having a release in American theaters. I give the film some credit for being well shot and creepy but ultimately I expected far more in 2015 from a cannibal horror film.

Seeing Pan this afternoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Martian - 8 out of 10.

It was a good movie, but it was VERY predictable. formulaic. good actors, good story generally, just you know what you're gunna get and if you're ok with that, cool.
    Hi

The Game (1997) - 7/10
    Well, it's a fun idea, and a good mystery movie, but at the end of it all, I wasn't really fan of the direction it took, even though it made sense as a smoke-screen. Still, I can't deny it's pretty well constructed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spy (2015): 6.5/10

Terminator: Genisys (2015): 6.5/10

Pan 3/10. Spirited and well shot, but needlessly convoluted. The film also lacked a certain sense of whimsy- lots of action scenes, little character development. Like I didn't really understand Hook at all. Is he socially awkward, was he taken as an adult, why is he so gruff, why did he fall in love for like... no reason? What.

Peter is a bore. His accent is kinda hard to understand and what he does have to say is of little to no importance. There is no basis in understanding how he comes to any resolution or why he makes certain choices.

Lastly, the music. No fucking sense whatsoever. There is no point to using modern music in this way. It adds nothing to the story and feels misplaced in the setting. Aside from wink-winking at the audience, there is no reason why pirates from Neverland during World War II are singing along to Nirvana.

Ugh. This is awful.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-10-10 at 09:14 PM.

Deleted
    Why does it take a fool to experience something very human like overwhelming, crippling fear, when you're calculating whether you will die or not? No one can keep his cool in that situation.
    because ultimately life is meaningless, once you realise that, death holds no fear. Panic and fear dont help your situation and are counterproductive, so get it together and work to survive. Ironically, placing no value on life, means you have more chance of living.

Last film i saw was The Martian. I'd give it 7/10, its not at all realistic, and massively formulaic, but it was enjoyable to watch and well put together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    because ultimately life is meaningless
    Let me stop you right here and call shenanigans.

Let me stop you right here and call shenanigans.
    Indeed, reminds me of the moral in The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, I thought The Martian was pretty darn realistic sci-fi, and if it's formulaic, then it can't mention much that isn't.

Deleted
    The Martian 9/10

Loved it. Great director, great cinematic, great writing and of course great character which was well acted by Matt Damon. Easily my favorite movie this year (still need to see some upcoming movies so will see which is going to be my favorite movie this year).

I think we can all agree that Matt Damon is the coolest guy in the Mars.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Martian,

8/10. Can't decide.
    -K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    The Martian: 7/10

It was alright, I wasn't blown away but I didn't expect to be. It starts off strong and I was really drawn into the story but as the story progressed it just seemed as typical as a Roland Emmerich disaster movie. The best scenes are with Matt Damon, the rest of the movie (back on Earth) doesn't really seem able to keep up.

The humor got old quite fast, it has it's place with Damon considering his situation, but when every new character had the same sense of humor I found myself no longer laughing. Maybe I am being fussy, I did hear people leaving the Cinema saying "that was fantastic", to me it had great potential but it ended up being a typical movie with some really good cinematic moments.

Not a bad movie, but not great either.
    My main complaint about the movie about a guy being stuck alone on mars is that we did not get to see enough of him. How crazy is that?
    I disagree about the humor; I thought that was by far the best part of this movie, but I really do agree about what you're saying with the scenes back on earth. This movie should have been about how the hell Matt Damon handles stuff on mars and avoids going crazy and how the setbacks affect him, but it wasn't. In stead it was a movie about everyone working together, trying to save Mark Watney.

Matt Damon is a great actor and he had a great performance, but it wasn't really utilized to its full potential. Every time when stuff went wrong we barely got to see him react before it cut back to earth. He should have gotten angry, sad, should have despaired or something alike, but the closest we ever got was a voiceover over him sitting on a ledge. Now I am fine with him handling it by being optimistic, but I want to watch that immediate reaction unfold and not just be told what he thinks about it half a day later. Just generally there was a lack of reaction to the loneliness (or lack thereof when he finally got into contact with people again). Also the airlock scene was woefully underused. There was no buildup, no tension and barely any reaction to it when we cut back. I mean... not even a cheap jumpscare or anything. They did nothing with that scene.

Two more technical problems:
    The soundtrack was simply bad and the microgravity on the Hermes looked very fake. You could very easily see that they were filming it while swimming.

The Martian: 7/10.
    A general lack of human moments is the main problem I had with this movie.
    Last edited by mmocea9cec0ead; 2015-10-11 at 04:45 PM.

Steve Jobs 5/10. Kind of oddly structured, but well acted and written. It's another Steve Jobs as Tech Messiah movie. The writing is what elevates it above the last SJ movie with Ashton Kutcher. The acting is pretty good as already mentioned but it's a little old hat to have this "drama" play out again having seen and read previously half a dozen times about Steve Jobs now. And honestly, it comes off as really cheesy- 'he was a genius but flawed!', 'Steve had to learn how important family is in the end!', 'Steve had to learn how important friendship is in the end!.

It's fucking trite. Also he doesn't seem like that much of an 'a-hole' to me- where as I actually found his estranged wife and someone of this business partners to be annoying and whinny. Maybe I am just a low empathy person, but uuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhh @ life lessons about friendship while designing the LISA.

Terminator: Genisys 7/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Oldboy (2003) - 9/10

Simply amazing. It's a heavy film (in every meaning) and very fast-paced.

I'm scared to see the Spike Lee remake, but I'm REALLY curious. Plus Josh Brolin is amazing.
    "Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
    May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity..."

-General Nazgrim