Page 1 of 2
LastLast

im curious about this game!!!

hello, im a world of warcraft player since long time(still playing it) but i would try other mmo in the market as and guild wars 2 seem really interesting, i dunno if someone could help me with what big difference there could have with world of warcraft mainly?

1-pve oriented game with pvp like wow?
    2- lvling is fun?
    3- guild and race?

ect... thx to help me!!!

1. Yes.
    2. Subjective.
    3. Of course.

The major difference from World of Warcraft are such:

- Action Combat gameplay
    - Absolute power ceiling
    - No quests
    - Heavy emphasis on exploration and dexterity gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    - Action Combat gameplay
    - Absolute power ceiling
    - No quests
    - Heavy emphasis on exploration and dexterity gameplay
    What this means is that you effectively do PvE for transmog gear and encounters only. There's no power increases to be had.

There's also no healers or tanks, which makes for an absolute clusterfuck joke in PvE. In other words, if (WoW) raiding interests you, try another game.

One should really go to the official Guild Wars 2 wiki before going to a forum for system information.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Even a cursory Google search can reveal tent-pole features and system design of Guild Wars 2 sans bias.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    There's also no healers or tanks...
    There are now. Tanks, healers, condition and power dps are needed on raids. See metabattle or any other site guiding raids and builds.

Metabattle raid builds listed below:
    • Dragonhunter - Celestial Tank
    • Dragonhunter - Hammer Tank
    • Druid - Raid Spirit Support
    • Druid - Raid Vale Guardian
    • Guardian - Raid Tank/Heal
    • Reaper - Greatsword/Axe
    • Reaper - Offensive Blood Support
    • Reaper - Raid Tank
    • Reaper Tank
    • Tempest - Raids Staff DPS
    • Berserker - S/S Longbow
    • Chronomancer - Boon strip support
    • Chronomancer - Mimic Tank
    • Chronomancer - Offensive Support
    • Engineer - Condition Grenadier v2
    • Guardian - Raid Burn/Tank
    • Herald - Ventari Raid Healer
    • Raid-DeathlyChillFire
    • Reaper - Raid Chillomancer
    • Tempest - Fresh Air D/F DPS

To OP
    1- pve oriented game with pvp like wow?
    Yes, like others have said.
    2- lvling is fun?
    To me it has been. I like immersion, story and scenery. I love taking screenshots in-game, you can find them here: http://defora-plays.tumblr.com/
    3- guild and race?
    Pick whatever race you want, racials (race skills) are not as important as in wow, class skills are usually better. Ofc race skill are sometimes useful, but if you don't have some specific racial skill you will be still fine. About guilds: you can join up to 5 guilds. So you can have separate guild for friends, pvp, pve, raiding, etc.
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2015-12-02 at 02:14 PM.

- No quests
    Correction, there are quests (see Renown Hearts) Different, less invasive, non-quest log style system.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is a fun game. But not a Serious game.

It's F2P up to expac now so give it a go. But if you are looking for something in-depth you may not find it in GW2. The endgame is extremely Rigid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foxinabox View Post
    Correction, there are quests (see Renown Hearts) Different, less invasive, non-quest log style system.
    Wouldn't really call them quests, they are very much just like Apexis dailies in WoW but EVERYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by foxinabox View Post
    Those are not quests. Renown Hearts are non-committal, non-required and non-compulsive localized events.

Quests require searching, expedition, journeying, etc. As a mechanism they are compulsive or require some commitment.

There are no quests in Guild Wars 2.

Those are not quests. Renown Hearts are non-committal, non-required and non-compulsive localized events.

Quests require searching, expedition, journeying, etc. As a mechanism they are compulsive or require some commitment.

They must've changed that because there were definitely quests when I tried it during release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    They must've changed that because there were definitely quests when I tried it during release.
    There have never been quests, at most you could consider the legendary armor-weapon crafting a sort-of quest
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

I say try it, I play WoW, yet love GW2. I wish there were more hours in a day so I could play GW2 more often

It's awesome because you never really feel like it's a chore to play- you can pick up and play a little, stop for months and then come back. That's just my opinion, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    There have never been quests, at most you could consider the legendary armor-weapon crafting a sort-of quest
    Only if you mean a quest is a thing that pops up in a log which dictates you to do someting. Technical they are quests. Do X to receive reward Y.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Nope. The game shipped like that. The tutorial area technically does have quests- they must be done to get out of the tutorial. They are compulsive, required and not localized in the world map.

There are no quests in the overworld, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be fair, there are Story Quests you start receiving at lvl 10 and every 10 levels there after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Well to be fair, there are Story Quests you start receiving at lvl 10 and every 10 levels there after.
    Those are more like personal dungeons than quests. Most people would agree that the term "quests" refers to kill ten rats, collect ten bear butts type of content.

The story missions are instanced, you can invite up to 4 players to join your instance, some are quite involved with multiple decision points, voice acting and cutscenes, sometimes there are bosses to kill, and hard mode achievement modes. I wouldn't call them quests in any meaning of the word.
    Valar morghulis

The personal story in Guild Wars 2 are not quests. Non-compulsive, not required, no commitment needed. It's totally ignorable once out of the tutorial.

I understand people are familiar with game and GUI schema of MMORPGs that present quests in a manner and combination of UI and linear gameplay motifs. However, the Guild Wars 2 is designed exactly as I said above: There are no quests in Guild Wars 2.

I think it's quite understandable that people view the personal story as quests.

Nothing else in the game would qualify as that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The personal story in Guild Wars 2 are not quests. Non-compulsive, not required, no commitment needed. It's totally ignorable once out of the tutorial.

I understand people are familiar with game and GUI schema of MMORPGs that present quests in a manner and combination of UI and linear gameplay motifs. However, the Guild Wars 2 is designed exactly as I said above: There are no quests in Guild Wars 2.
    Well the same can be said of most MMO's these days. Hell I level in WoW generally from 15-100 only in dungeons. I just felt the Story quests were very much like Swtors, where you enter your own phase and complete a set objective and then leave. Wouldn't really call them personal "dungeons' as Karizee put it, since there are times where the quests are just in instanced areas of the overworld, much like a large portion of instanced Quests in WoW.

But I digress, Discussing what is or isn't a quest simply comes down to semantics I suppose.

Well the same can be said of most MMO's these days.
    I do not know of any outside of Guild Wars in the MMORPG category.

Hell I level in WoW generally from 15-100 only in dungeons.
    This is not an explicit design of World of Warcraft though. One can level by collecting herbs alone in that game- it is not the design of World of Warcraft that leveling via herbs is the schema of the gameplay model.

What players can do in a game is not the same as how a game expresses it's gameplay- a very common vulgar misconception.

1: Very strong PvE game, The PvP isn't exactly like WoW because it's not dual faction so there is no world PvP but they have a world vs world option, then your BG kinda stuff
    2: Leveling is pretty good in the game, the zones are really pretty and you can level up from crafting and PvP.
    3: You can join 5 guilds and no classes are locked to race.

On a side note there whilst no ! pops up above the head of NPC's to give you quests you can do "hearts" which are pretty much a quest in a small area which require to you kill X of something or collect X (or both) and a few other little things.
    The story mode is pretty much a quest but it all comes down to how you really want to define quests. Hell, if you like it you could call getting milk from the store a quest.