Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Headset recommendations?

I'm in need of a new headset. I took a trip to Best Buy and honestly was appalled at the choices. Not because there were too few, but because there wasn't a headset that wasn't under 99.99. "TRIPLE THREAT EXO 9000" "ECON SOUND BOOST GAMING PRO MLG TRIPLE THREAT HYDRO NO SCOPE 1080" like lol? The fuck? What does that even mean? Some of this shit was in the 300 dollar range. Why? I'm just looking for a headset, not a fusion reactor. Not to mention there was literally no discernable difference between any of them.

All I need is a headset that covers the ears, is wired, and has a mic on it. That's it. I don't need any "triple threat" no scoping. Whatever in Gods name that means. Oh, and I'd like to stay around 50$ US. Ordering online is fine.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I would recommend a pair of Logitech G430, you can find them for 59.99$ on newegg.com.

Yeah, I think the G430 is about the best you're going to do with that kind of budget. I can tell you that just about any gaming headset that has volume control on the cord like that is eventually going to stop working because they typically use shit-quality wire that will cause sound in one speaker or the other to cut out. I loved my Corsair Vengeance 1500 and bragged about it to everyone until that happened to it. But....those things do have a 3-year warranty, so you're covered for a good while.

I'm a firm believer in using a really good pair of headphones with a separate mic. People here convinced me to try a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s with a Modmic, and I'm glad I listened to them now because the sound quality on these things is epic. But you can't really do that for $50 (the headphones alone will run you about $150 right now).

$23.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

USB headset. Sound quality is great (not $499 great). Controls on the cord include volume up/down and mute button.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...s_3015405011_1

The second link is the most sold headsets on amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add. I've bought quite a few sub $50 ones and this is my favorite in the last 10 years. They don't feel cheap. Playing Rainbow Siege I am able to identify all directions of foot steps.

the logitech is always a good choice most their products are great
    i use the hyperx cloud 2 and love it its light has a good mic good sound and very comfortable and i think its on sale on amazon if im not mistaking
    i bought it for 90$ but i think you can find it cheaper now

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I'm in need of a new headset. I took a trip to Best Buy and honestly was appalled at the choices. Not because there were too few, but because there wasn't a headset that wasn't under 99.99. "TRIPLE THREAT EXO 9000" "ECON SOUND BOOST GAMING PRO MLG TRIPLE THREAT HYDRO NO SCOPE 1080" like lol? The fuck? What does that even mean? Some of this shit was in the 300 dollar range. Why? I'm just looking for a headset, not a fusion reactor. Not to mention there was literally no discernable difference between any of them.

All I need is a headset that covers the ears, is wired, and has a mic on it. That's it. I don't need any "triple threat" no scoping. Whatever in Gods name that means. Oh, and I'd like to stay around 50$ US. Ordering online is fine.
    Best Buy still carries that stuff - its just not in the gaming section.

They did this thing where they took all the gaming stuff (for PCs) and put it with the Consoles.

If you go over to the PC area, there's plain-ole headsets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post

I'm a firm believer in using a really good pair of headphones with a separate mic. People here convinced me to try a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s with a Modmic, and I'm glad I listened to them now because the sound quality on these things is epic. But you can't really do that for $50 (the headphones alone will run you about $150 right now).
    This. Invest in a mediocre mic, there really isn't much point in you sounding production quality clear to everyone else. Then get a good pair of headphones. There are SO MANY good headphones in nearly every budget range. The sennies are very clean sounding headphones, but they just don't have the signature I prefer-too heavy in the mids, not enough sparkle in the highs, and anemic bass. But they were designed have a flat response. Sennies also have some of the most comfortable headphones available.

I have a set of takstar hi 2050 I picked up on amazon for like 40 bucks that compete with $200 headphones. They have very good highs, slightly recessed mids, and strong, clean bass, but not muddy or overpowering. They're open back, so you get no isolation. Most comfortable headphones I own. Even better than my several sets of sennheiser.
    You can get monoprice headphones for ~25 bucks, and these are a closed back can. Great isolation, pretty stout bass, strong mids, and acceptable highs. You could probably get a usb mic and these headphones for less than 50 bucks.
    Superlux hd 681 evos have a semi-closed back design. they run around 35 dollars and have very good bass, good mids, and outstanding highs. These are comfortable headphones too. Again, another headset you can pick up a mic with for less than 50.
    I don't personally own a pair, but I've read that the Somic g956 are a great pair of gaming headphones. Also the somic g95 pros. Also the somic G989, But the last 2 are above your budged. the 956 are within your budget. My little brother picked up the G989 when he was over seas and I've heard those personally. True surround sound, very theater-esque sound. Not the best for music, at least in my opinion. Also the 989 are HEAVY.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not recording stuff guys. It's for vent/TS. Nothing serious. I'm not going to blow 300 dollars on a professional recording setup for WoW raids lol.

You can get a good pair of headphones and decent mic for the same cost as a mediocre headset.

Any recommendations for a wireless headset?
    Do the batteries add too much weight for comfort?
    Does it 'lag'?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just don't buy Logitech G35. I bought a pair in June, and by the beginning of August the plastic swivel on one ear had completely shattered the plastic piece holding it, and the swivel on the other ear piece cracked the same plastic piece. Just bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cheap plastic eh? Does that go for the g430 as well?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Cheap plastic eh? Does that go for the g430 as well?
    IDK honestly, my experience was with the G35, so I wouldn't want to say one way or another. However, looking at them on Amazon, it does look like they are using the same plastic piece. If you look at the close up of the side, it is the piece that says "G430" or "G35" on it. If you look at some of the user submitted pictures of either headset on Amazon, you will see where they seem to break a lot.

I have a set of G930s (the wireless logitech headset) and they are amazing. No issues with cheap plastic or anything busting on them, and i have been using them for over a year now. Fairly sure the wired version is pretty much exactly the same, so you could look into those.

15+ Year Old Account
    Steelseries Siberia V2 are the best budget headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Steelseries Siberia V2 are the best budget headphones.
    Steelseries equipment is all rebranded chinese knockoffs you can buy unbranded for cheaper elsewhere. Still good budget stuff, but I'd aim towards the same thing without the label and 20 dollar markup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Any recommendations for a wireless headset?
    Do the batteries add too much weight for comfort?
    Does it 'lag'?
    If you get a USB bluetooth receiver for your computer, you can use the same headsets people are using with phones. There is a slight~80-100ms delay, standard for bluetooth. There are TONS of affordable bluetooth headsets on the market for a reasonable price. And you can pick up a bluetooth dongle for a PC for about 10 bucks. If you like lightweight, you can pick up those wireless neck ring earbuds...I think LG/harmon kardon makes them. They have pretty decent sound, and come in sub 40 bucks.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    If you get a USB bluetooth receiver for your computer, you can use the same headsets people are using with phones. There is a slight~80-100ms delay, standard for bluetooth. There are TONS of affordable bluetooth headsets on the market for a reasonable price. And you can pick up a bluetooth dongle for a PC for about 10 bucks. If you like lightweight, you can pick up those wireless neck ring earbuds...I think LG/harmon kardon makes them. They have pretty decent sound, and come in sub 40 bucks.
    Are you seriously suggesting headphones with 100ms delay for anything else than listening to music?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Here: headphones
    Here: mic

This is a budget setup that is surprisingly good on quality for the price you'll pay. $24~ if you have prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    Is there any comfortable headset for ppl with glasses? I currently have a steelseries siberia v2 but they are to tight .

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Just don't buy Logitech G35. I bought a pair in June, and by the beginning of August the plastic swivel on one ear had completely shattered the plastic piece holding it, and the swivel on the other ear piece cracked the same plastic piece. Just bad.
    We have 2 G230's in the house. Exact same problem after 6 months of daily use.