Page 1 of 2
LastLast

professions are so boring right now

I think professions are awful. Theres no incentive to go grind up your skill when you dont even need it to make the best crafted gear in the game

But increasing your skill does let you make more of that gear in the same time-frame.

But lets be honest- was raising skill ever a really central part of crafting? Hunting for recipes, sure, but I was always capped within the first week of a new expac to the new skill cap on almost all my alts. And then I just ignored it.

We never had a system like, say, Everquest 1 where being capped in a skill took years, and meant you were one of the only sources of high-end crafted gear. WoW crafting has always been about leveling fast, and then having recipes locked behind raids/dungeons/rep.

But then people complained about locked recipes, so WoD gave us recipes that were open without rep or raiding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Problem with proffesions for me is that you can only flip transmog/wierd items and consums (leg enchants, shoulder and so on).

The rest is all bound to garrison.

Still I earn alot gold every week flipping. We'll...alot, maybe 2k profit a day. But for me doing these small flips are the most fun in gold making in wow.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelstoc View Post
    I think professions are awful. Theres no incentive to go grind up your skill when you dont even need it to make the best crafted gear in the game
    You can make the best crafted gear with out being maxed skilled? What?

Deleted
    I consider professions to be a broken feature anything past Wotlk. And they were at their prime in TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    You can make the best crafted gear with out being maxed skilled? What?
    He probably meant "get". In TBC and Wotlk you could make some stuff that would last you very very very long...but it costed a lot and required some luck with drops as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    But increasing your skill does let you make more of that gear in the same time-frame.

But lets be honest- was raising skill ever a really central part of crafting? Hunting for recipes, sure, but I was always capped within the first week of a new expac to the new skill cap on almost all my alts. And then I just ignored it.

We never had a system like, say, Everquest 1 where being capped in a skill took years, and meant you were one of the only sources of high-end crafted gear. WoW crafting has always been about leveling fast, and then having recipes locked behind raids/dungeons/rep.

But then people complained about locked recipes, so WoD gave us recipes that were open without rep or raiding.
    I BC I had a 2-3 recipes that no one else did at first.... so for a few months I was making insane bank making these as I was the only one with them. It was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I consider professions to be a broken feature anything past Wotlk. And they were at their prime in TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

He probably meant "get". In TBC and Wotlk you could make some stuff that would last you very very very long...but it costed a lot and required some luck with drops as well.
    I would call them just as broken in Wrath. BC was great. You could get items that were upgradeable and lasted you forever.

I agree competely - WoW probably has the weakest crafting system in the entire MMO genre. Really, really hoping that Blizzard makes good on their promise to make professions great again after they announced the profession team is the biggest it has ever been.

Fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I BC I had a 2-3 recipes that no one else did at first.... so for a few months I was making insane bank making these as I was the only one with them. It was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

I would call them just as broken in Wrath. BC was great. You could get items that were upgradeable and lasted you forever.
    Yeah, Burning Crusade was easily the golden age of professions in WoW.

Dragonstrike was my crowning achievement on my Enhancement Shaman. I loved the "specialization" in professions. I liked the upgrading of your weapons. Dropped patterns from Dungeons, outdoor mobs and raids. Great stuff.

10+ Year Old Account

Nothing shatters your soul after failing to craft a 99% progress 2-Star item.

WoW crafting sure lacks, so when I came to FFXIV and began crafting, I've never been more afraid of spending cash on materials than on WoW.
    Legion doesn't seem to address to this problem either. Ah well, I'll most likely get to 110 and maybe unlock my dearest skull bit for bit until I tire yet again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    [...]

Yeah, Burning Crusade was easily the golden age of professions in WoW.

Dragonstrike was my crowning achievement on my Enhancement Shaman. I loved the "specialization" in professions. I liked the upgrading of your weapons. Dropped patterns from Dungeons, outdoor mobs and raids. Great stuff.
    I longed more for Armorcraft specialization, but unfortunately for me, I waited until Cata launched before trying to get it on my DK. Forever a JC now.

Edit: Did have the Leatherwork spec for Druids back in TBC. Wish I didn't remove the Leatherwork for Enchanting and then go back to it after it got removed.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2016-02-07 at 10:59 PM.

Stood in the Fire themightysven's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The simple solution is to have Raid Bosses drop a special mat that can be used by a profession to make the piece.
    Like Doomboss the Dooooominator drops a Loincloth fragment that a blacksmith can use with 250 unobtainium ore and 10 Shards of sparklingness to make a specific plate leg that is soulbound to the player it dropped for, or it can be used with 100 bolts of Kobold Taffeta and 50 Metzen Lotuses to make a Cloth belt.

Then for higher raid tiers, make elite trade goods that are good only for that tiers tokens

The main thing that needs to be changed is to make soulbound items something other players can handle, just not equip
    Ewok Sith Lords are all about Agility

They have always been boring. It was MUCH worse last expansion where they gave buffs and there were two clear choices for every spec.
    Now at least its not mandatory.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by themightysven View Post
    The simple solution is to have Raid Bosses drop a special mat that can be used by a profession to make the piece.
    Like Doomboss the Dooooominator drops a Loincloth fragment that a blacksmith can use with 250 unobtainium ore and 10 Shards of sparklingness to make a specific plate leg that is soulbound to the player it dropped for, or it can be used with 100 bolts of Kobold Taffeta and 50 Metzen Lotuses to make a Cloth belt.

Then for higher raid tiers, make elite trade goods that are good only for that tiers tokens

The main thing that needs to be changed is to make soulbound items something other players can handle, just not equip
    No. Crafting mats that dropped from raid bosses or that you got by DEing raid gear was a terrible decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree...tbc had the best professions but also had a good game economy..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Professions have never been fun or interesting.

Blizzard makes the same mistake everywhere. They make interesting systems and then ruin it because everything is easily accessible. That means it has to be near useless or else it becomes mandatory. Vehicles suffered the same fate.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care for how professions work with the garrisons, but I agree with Xirrohon, they've never been interesting or had any complexity at all.

Hope Legion will make them interesting. They have a whole team working specifically on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Was is not "amazing" is having a few who got a lucky recipe drop with a monopoly on a server's economy for those items. That's just bad game design.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    No. Crafting mats that dropped from raid bosses or that you got by DEing raid gear was a terrible decision.
    I agree. This had a pretty negative effect on small servers with very few or no capable raid teams.
    I like very few people didn't mind WoD's approach to being able to craft pretty much anything and it'd be just about as good as heroic level gear, but limited to 3 pieces for balance.

I didn't mind being able to craft everything. But it was very uninspired being able to get every recipe while never leaving your garrison.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, I remember that. Stormherald, Crescent moon, Lionheart executioner. All really good and really awesome designs. Took a lot of effort to craft, too. It actually felt like you were an epic blacksmith who made impressive weapons. That was actually prett fun.

Professions for me right now is a few free 30 slot bags each week. Which, in and of itself, is pretty nice, but it's not really giving me anything enjoyable in terms of gameplay.