Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Finith View Post
    Actually it's even higher than that figure according to the NIMH, it's somewhere closer to 1/4. Though I would caution that statistics of that kind are probably more difficult to verify completely. Still, anywhere close to that number should be extremely worrying to most people. Illness is not weakness, I will state this again, the correlation between abuse and illness is not up for debate, it is a fact. We must find better ways of communicating that do more to buck this trend. No, that does not involve policing speech. Yes, it does involve educating students on the importance of thinking first, and then speaking.
    From personal experience if someone wanted to claim it affected about 1 in 3 adults I wouldn't think they were far off. I just think there's a big silent crowd who take an interest in the debate because of how much it resonates with them but are too scared/proud/whatever to admit they are suffering too.

That said, there is still a certain argument to be made for the "Stiffen the lip, and press on" attitude. It get's things done, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by negawonka View Post
    I looked it up, are you aware of the concept of a "jack of all trades"? Studying multiple things at the same time is not always better than picking one and focusing on it.
    Are you suggesting we stop studying everything except one topic at a time or did I grossly misunderstand you?
    EDIT: sorry got confused halfway, my bad
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2016-03-01 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    That said, there is still a certain argument to be made for the "Stiffen the lip, and press on" attitude. It get's things done, at least.
    It also results in the kind of events that happens when some people are pushed too far and they end up killing people.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you suggesting we stop studying everything except one topic at a time or did I grossly misunderstand you?
    He's saying that a socionom can't be as good as a psychologist, because we have a broader education.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    It also results in the kind of events that happens when some people are pushed too far and they end up killing people.
    Yes. A balance is required. BUt if EVERYONE stops what they are doing to talk about their feelings; a lot of progress would slow. Life still goes on, there isnt' a lot to be done to stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Poor phrasing on my part most likely

His/Her degree is a combination of several degrees taught in the same amount of time that one normally is taught in. I was simply stating that mixing psychology with sociology is not necessarily better than specializing in one or the other.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    ~Vernon Howard

"The truly rich are those who enjoy what they have"
    ~Yiddish Proverb

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    You know you say illness is not a weakness, but in this case strength in one's self and faith can allow a person to bypass this illness. The illness is not a weakness, but it does seem to target those that are already weak. Perhaps we should work on strengthening children instead of weakening others?
    You don't weaken a person by educating them, just as you don't strengthen a person by leaving them open and vulnerable to abuse. I'm not sure how this can seem like a good idea to anyone. Abuse does not build adversity, challenge does. They are in no way related to one another. You strengthen children by trusting in their mental capacities enough to teach them complex lessons, you do not strengthen them by allowing the culture and issues of bullying to carry on unresolved.

As a teacher, I sure as hell wish I lived in a world where I could say 'grow a thicker skin', and magically simultaneously stop kids from being harassed into suicidal depression while also stopping kids with shitty ubringings from growing up into adults with shitty upbringings who can't stay out of trouble with the law because suspensions don't do a fucking thing except tell them that bullying and harassing people lets them take a day off from their responsibilities.

Would sure help me sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    aaah, the good old bullying thread, where some individuals express how they "got over it" while simultaneously showcasing how much damage and loss of empathy this exact same bullying caused to them, without them even realising it.

A classic of MMO-C.
    "I got over it, you *******, f*** off you pussy! Just grow up and get over it and become a decent human being like...oh...."

You don't weaken a person by educating them, just as you don't strengthen a person by leaving them open and vulnerable to abuse. I'm not sure how this can seem like a good idea to anyone. Abuse does not build adversity, challenge does. They are in no way related to one another. You strengthen children by trusting in their mental capacities enough to teach them complex lessons, you do not strengthen them by allowing the culture and issues of bullying to carry on unresolved.
    Educating children is fine, but taking "bullies" to civil court and putting permanent blemishes on their records is weakening them.

I also do not advocate leaving them open and vulnerable, I advocate filling them with self confidence and faith so that they can develop strength naturally and that strength can be honed as they interact with others. It is the parent's duty to prepare children for the rigors of society.
    Last edited by negawonka; 2016-03-01 at 07:35 PM.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    ~Vernon Howard

~Yiddish Proverb

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Education children is fine, but taking "bullies" to civil court and putting permanent blemishes on their records is weakening them.

I also do not advocate leaving them open and vulnerable, I advocate filling them with self confidence and faith so that they can develop strength naturally and that strength can be honed as they interact with others. It is the parent's duty to prepare children for the rigors of society.
    I cannot force a stupid parent to accept their LGBT child if they refuse too, but I can work to ensure that at least at school that student will feel equal to their peers and welcome to be there. It is very much the job of parents, and so often do they fail on this count, that it is no longer enough to ring our hands and say "this one is on you".

You and I actually agree, education is the key, and it must get better. That will only happen when the elements that remain insistent that these students be singled out for intolerance fade into obscurity, and the only happens when you combat their idiotic ideas with sensible ones.

Repeat offenders of harassment deserve their due punishment, but that is different then a call to punish all who use unkind words, which I have not and never would advocate for.

I cannot force a stupid parent to accept their LGBT child if they refuse too, but I can work to ensure that at least at school that student will feel equal to their peers and welcome to be there. It is very much the job of parents, and so often do they fail on this count, that it is no longer enough to ring our hands and say "this one is on you".

You and I actually agree, education is the key, and it must get better. That will only happen when the elements that remain insistent that these students be singled out for intolerance fade into obscurity, and the only happens when you combat their idiotic ideas with sensible ones.

Repeat offenders of harassment deserve their due punishment, but that is different then a call to punish all who use unkind words, which I have not and never would advocate for.
    Honestly more focus in our schools does need to be made on children's mental health, but it needs to be positive and start much earlier than the teenage years. I remember having 7 periods when I was in school (probably was different when I was little little) - at least one of those periods should be devoted towards mental health with a LMHP instead of a teacher overseeing the period. Add on a yearly in person session and you have a good strong foundation that will likely pay for itself in the money it saves the taxpayers from supporting people with continuing mental health issues.

If you are going to have wasteful public education, at the very least make it so that it is effective in preparing children for the adult world and not just spending 8 hours a day drilling trivia into their head when they aren't playing basketball.
    ~Vernon Howard

~Yiddish Proverb

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    As far as i am aware faggot is a slang word for gay man.
    So how is this offensive, calling some one a faggot?

I mean i know the word is used to portray gay man as something evil but it still means the same faggot = gay man.

How is this affecting anything?
    Or LBGT community are so sensitive that they have to be protected even during every day speeches?
    Do I really need to explain this in 2016? /sigh

Being a LGBT who ended high school back in 2011, it doesn't take a genius to know that these issues are ingrained from their homes, teachers can't make students become more accepting when their households give them rotten values.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Don't bother replying, obviously a troll or somebody too dumb to understand the concept of respect and insulting.

My gay friends call each other fags, is it only offensive when a straight person uses the term?

Educating children is fine, but taking "bullies" to civil court and putting permanent blemishes on their records is weakening them.

What about teaching the bully that their actions have consequences? I know, that goes against the whole "Bullies exist to make everyone else strong, and if you can't put up with them or deal with them on your own it is your own fault that you're suffering" mindset, but honestly I don't have one iota of sympathy if these bullies have "permanent blemishes on their records" as a result of their actions. If they don't like it, maybe they shouldn't have been harassing people?

I'm all for making sure people know how to stand up for themselves, but if your position actually include an attempt to convince others that bullies shouldn't be punished because it might look bad for them later in life, you're out of your mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    My gay friends call each other fags, is it only offensive when a straight person uses the term?
    There's a thing called context and intentions

So if I say it joking around it's ok?

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    What about teaching the bully that their actions have consequences? I know, that goes against the whole "Bullies exist to make everyone else strong, and if you can't put up with them or deal with them on your own it is your own fault that you're suffering" mindset, but honestly I don't have one iota of sympathy if these bullies have "permanent blemishes on their records" as a result of their actions. If they don't like it, maybe they shouldn't have been harassing people?

I'm all for making sure people know how to stand up for themselves, but if your position actually include an attempt to convince others that bullies shouldn't be punished because it might look bad for them later in life, you're out of your mind.
    Punished is different than being taken to court. I have no issue with their parents peppering their hide, grounding them, or what have you. But what I don't want to see is an 8 year old kid who is going through hard times with his family and lashing out forever denied a chance at redemption.

I have plenty of reason to hate bullies, but I have found it more peaceful to instead learn what not to do from them .
    ~Vernon Howard

~Yiddish Proverb

There is this thing called your personal opinion about the correct and appropriate use of slurs is not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post

Punished is different than being taken to court. I have no issue with their parents peppering their hide, grounding them, or what have you. But what I don't want to see is an 8 year old kid who is going through hard times with his family and lashing out forever denied a chance at redemption.

I have plenty of reason to hate bullies, but I have found it more peaceful to instead learn what not to do from them .
    ~Vernon Howard

~Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So if I say it joking around it's ok?
    No because of how you were born you can't even joke around with that word, it has magical suicide inducing powers if spoken by your kind!
    ~Vernon Howard

~Yiddish Proverb