Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Chronicles of Elyria - You aboard the hype train?

Upcoming indie MMORPG. Kickstarter to be May 3rd 2016.

Their promises:
    • The most dynamic and immersive MMO to date.
    • Character ages and dies (but the soul is persisten so you don't lose all your progress).
    • Closed economy, finite resources, non-repeatable quests, and a fully destructible environment means the world is experienced differently for every character.
    • Local, regional, and national conflicts.
    • Enter the world as a member of a player-run family
    • Fully skill-based system and lack of classes means you're rewarded with the ability to create the exact character you want to.

First look (released yesterday March 1st):

First look reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comm...ly_first_look/

Official website: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/

So, aboard the hype train for yet another promising MMO with a grand vision? Or are you jaded and pessimistic from previous let-downs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely pessimistic. I don't think it's very healthy to constantly hype games like this. We're basically just setting ourselves up for disappointment somewhere down the line.

I'm not impressed. The video looks like it's filled with assets from the unity/unreal asset store ( which I'm not against but I do think it shows that not a lot of effort was put in the game...YET). Even the sword animation looks like it's from kubolds sword animation pack. I might be wrong through. Anyway the trailer shows absolutely nothing and can be put together in unity/unreal in a week or 2 by someone with some experience so i'd be cautios. Some of the assets do look like they were custom made so i can't fault that but currently the game is only promises and some decent level design and terrain sculpting. I'd wait it out.
    Last edited by axell; 2016-03-02 at 02:07 PM.

This looks to be far too ambitious for a kickstarter game from an Indie Dev with a team of 12 people. I don't see anything good coming out of this at all.

Unreal Engine looks good, but it only showed a single player walking around and attacking air. There's nothing shown to be impressed about.

I mean, it's f******* nothing.

No details about anything - will check KS page for more info, but looks very bland.

I mean. All recent mmo are moving from giving players content to giving players grinds in open world. To me it just looks like a step back.
    Maybe we're really returning to the old MMO era where communities were small and dedicated and MMO structures were definitely improvable.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

this was posted a couple days ago and the thread got deleted, it sounds quite optimistic to say the least, but i think the thread was deleted because its probably another trails of ascension.

the way i see it is that, your never going to balance an mmo around ppl choosing to do sub optimal jobs like being a blacksmith over going out into the world and farming phatt loots. its just not possible. fully destructible environment, well that means the game will look like mordor after the first week.

and then you got that death and reincarnation thing, which means the power creep will be real. it easy to assume players will follow a narrative but likely every story will devolve into pvp in some form. not everyone cares much for RP.

like i've played a decent amount of wurm online quite possibly the best village sim there is, i didn't get many skills over 50, but I'm probably one of a minority of ppl that can actually sit there and pound swords and watch action timers for hours on end for little if zero reward. but that is not going to be the case for the average mmo gamer, who want action and adventure and loot.

wurm manages to keep the village dynamic by there being practically no dungeons and no phatt loots to get, so the only things you can really do is take up a menial task and try to become really good at it. there are monsters and there are some rare things but they require quite a lot of dudes to take down, so its not like you log in and think, 'do i wanna imp tools all day or go off and slay a dragon' because, its just not possible to solo that. the action part of the game is secondary or even tertiary to the village sim.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-02 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me is sounds like trails of scamscension 2.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Oh look another one of these "Do very little work but rush to go on Kickstarter" MMO projects. You'd think after games like Trials of Ascenscion and GreedMonger people would learn to stay far away from ambitious MMO projects with small teams. Making a MMO takes TONS of money, so likely these people will try and get some lesser amount so they can piss away the money and fail the project.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ideas are neat and all, but I think they're trying for way too much. Also the whole paying per soul/aging/dying thing is kind of a crappy gimmick IMO.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Ideas are neat and all, but I think they're trying for way too much. Also the whole paying per soul/aging/dying thing is kind of a crappy gimmick IMO.
    Yeah I mean they can try and come up with all the weird gimmicks in the world. I am far more interested to see how much they are going to try and ask for on KS.

I'm keeping it on my radar. It would absolutely be nice with a new MMORPG that isn't korean and that isn't purely pvp but it's way too early to say how this is going to turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'm keeping it on my radar. It would absolutely be nice with a new MMORPG that isn't korean and that isn't purely pvp but it's way too early to say how this is going to turn out.
    Keep what on your radar? A few flashy Unity store packs or the fact that even if funded this game is YEARS away.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Definitely pessimistic. I don't think it's very healthy to constantly hype games like this. We're basically just setting ourselves up for disappointment somewhere down the line.
    I stopped getting hyped for games a long time ago, and I think most of us genre saavy gamers have as well.

This game... I'm not seeing much interesting about it...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Closed economy, finite resources, non-repeatable quests, and a fully destructible environment means the world is experienced differently for every character.
    That just makes it sound like the world will be dead after a month. All resources gone, every area decimated.

i don't get hyped anymore. i do the opposite i go into the mmorpgs with huge cynicism/skepticism/criticism and it helps a lot, i get max level, make my own review and uninstall, get flamed by friends and guildies ( same guild for over 8 years on multiple games ) that i quit very soon and then after 2 or 3 months they open their eyes and follow me, those 3 months they stay more then me in a new mmorpg are that what i call " the newbie hype months "

15+ Year Old Account
    It looks like they took TES Oblivion and took all the NPCs out and shot random ass walking scenes in an open empty world from 2007

..wait!! It's ESO WITHOUT THE NPCs!
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2016-03-04 at 04:29 PM.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be greenlit on steam and then come out later in early access for the low price of 20 dollars.
    It will never leave early access.

Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    It will never leave early access.
    Why'd you say that? Many games have left Early Access after years on it. KSP, SE, etc.

Yet another BDO, ill pass.