Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2's Colin Johanson leaves Arenanet; Mike O’brien takes over as game director

Pretty huge news, since he was the face of the game developer wise. It will be interesting where this game goes from here. He will be missed. I'm guessing he's joining all those other ANet staff who have left to join Amazon Gaming in Seattle.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/03/04/gu...game-director/

Looking through the AMA, it's refreshing to see them admit to mistakes, notably with how open world areas are tied so heavily to meta-events (specifically the new HoT areas) as well as how they really pushed people away from dungeons (and they don't have a team of folks dedicated to them at all...shame). That said, admitting mistakes is one thing; taking steps to correct them is another.

Colin's departure looks to have been on good terms. I'm not blaming him for all that I perceive is wrong with GW2/HoT, even if I do believe he played a signifcant role in decisions that lead to HoT. Would be no different than blaming Ghostcrawler for any and everything wrong with WoW when he left.

Honestly...at this point I'm mildly concerned.

Between the exodus of senior staff (which is common for games when they're struggling a bit, same has happened at launch for ESO/SWTOR and others. Anet avoided this at its initial launch entirely) and the good-but-lower-than-expected revenue bump/sales numbers (estimated) for HoT things aren't looking super hot : /

Oh well, hopefully they'll make good on their statements to decouple the new zones from major events/meta events, that's been one of the biggest hurdles for me.

Here's a nice summary of the AMA Anet did with several devs in the Colin leaving announcement thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...res_a_summary/

It's sad.

I did manage to hear someone asking an ANet guy about it and apparently Colin had a 2-hour commute to work each day so I can totally sympathize with him leaving to have more time with his family.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Eh. I was not very into the direction Johanson for the series.

Would be nice if Jon Peters took the reigns. He's an engineer with a great eye for design.

Colin was great and fun. I mainly liked him because he did interact with the community quite a lot, and his smile sure became something else.

I'm not really going into design choices (as I probably should be doing) but since I haven't played Guild Wars 2 for a while, I can't bother to comment on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Eh. I was not very into the direction Johanson for the series.

Would be nice if Jon Peters took the reigns. He's an engineer with a great eye for design.
    Not sure if you knew, but Jon Peters left the company mid 2015. He went to work for Amazon as a senior combat designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Not sure if you knew, but Jon Peters left the company mid 2015. He went to work for Amazon as a senior combat designer.
    Ah, no. I hadn't heard the news. Huh. Interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's sad, I'm fond of the world design, and the *random encounters* Combat system(You get these abilities for this type of weapon and only so many attacks to chose from, less fun). Otherwise, GWII is a pretty powerful successor to the first Guild Wars game.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Ah, no. I hadn't heard the news. Huh. Interesting.
    They've lost a lot of folks in the past 6ish months

Jon Peters, Colin Johanson, Jeff Grub, Eric Flannum, and I feel like I'm missed someone.

A lot of those folks had been there for years, but it's always questionable when a lot of senior leadership leave around the time of a major launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Jon Peters, Colin Johanson, Jeff Grub, Eric Flannum, and I feel like I'm missed someone.

A lot of those folks had been there for years, but it's always questionable when a lot of senior leadership leave around the time of a major launch.

Almost all of them went to Amazon though so I'm guessing the simple answer is that Amazon pays a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Are you by chance thinking of Chris Whiteside? I believe he left about a year ago.

Edit.

Oh, maybe you're thinking of Devon Carter?

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Almost all of them went to Amazon though so I'm guessing the simple answer is that Amazon pays a lot better.
    Might be off topic, but what does Amazon Games even do? I saw some tablet games listed, but these seem like pretty big names for something like that.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Might be off topic, but what does Amazon Games even do? I saw some tablet games listed, but these seem like pretty big names for something like that.
    some big project I imagine

it will probably be a MOBA...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I've heard several people say their "large" projects consist of a MOBA and a FPS. With very little research I haven't been able to find any solid evidence that points to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I've heard several people say their "large" projects consist of a MOBA and a FPS. With very little research I haven't been able to find any solid evidence that points to either.
    we definitely need more MOBAs

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    some big project I imagine

it will probably be a MOBA...
    Wow, interesting!

I didn't read much about the Amazon games thing except a few articles about the game engine being open source. Really interesting that Amazon games (?) wooed Anet devs that were responsible for a more action-focused, PVP supportive and limited action combat system of GW2.

If Amazon games are working on a MOBA with dynamic action it would seem at least some of the devs working for them have a mind for such.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    starting wage for a amazon packer (w/e the people are called to ship and pack items to customers) is 13 an hour and apparently they get 2 15 min break, 1 hour lunch break and have their own cafeteria. Full time is 4 days a week 10 hour shifts giving you 3 days off.

It's actually quite nice.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been having conversations with certain people close to colin and other anet staff members and from what i got out of it was that not everyone at anet knew about colin leaving the company, the main reason colin left was due to family concerns and how much time GW2 took out of him leaving him with very little time to be with his relatives. Wish colin best of luck on his new endeavours.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35