Looking for a new GFX card.

So at the moment i have a NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 660 ti 4gb DDR3, and am looking to upgrade.
    I can currently run games like GTA5/The Division on low/medium settings and would obviously like to improve this.
    My budget is £200, i would rather not spend it all as next month i will also be on the look out for a decent SSD, i would like to stay with nVIDIA, so PC gurus of the interweb, please help a brother out!

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by rzy; 2016-03-14 at 03:48 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think you should wait for Pascal/Polaris cards.

Kinda hating the feeling that mine is slowly withering away, and i kind of have the £200 now so would like to get a card now instead of it getting to when i NEED one and have no money

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Although saying that, the 970+ will be dropping in price with the pascal ect i assume, just in time for Overwatch

Quote Originally Posted by rzy View Post
    Kinda hating the feeling that mine is slowly withering away, and i kind of have the £200 now so would like to get a card now instead of it getting to when i NEED one and have no money

- - - Updated - - -

Although saying that, the 970+ will be dropping in price with the pascal ect i assume, just in time for Overwatch
    Probably not for a while since the 1070 wont be out for a while. The newer series graphics cards always start out with laptop releases.

- - - Updated - - -

Traditionally, the new cards do not cause the old cards to drop in price. The old cards have been dropping in price since they came out and the new cards will be there slightly higher priced than the old cards.

If you really must by right now instead of putting the money in savings and waiting, know that the current nVidia cards do not and can not support ASync Compute at the hardware level, which is a major feature of DX12. Aside from ASync computer, neither AMD or nVidia currently fully support DX12. The next generation of cards is coming out this year and is supposed to be a major leap in performance, much larger than previous generation, like 40% more powerful I think the current numbers show. Previously, going from x70 in one gen to the next was more like 10-15% increase in performance and these are going to be 40%. It's huge. In addition, the newer cards should have better DX12 support as well. Unless your current card is just simply not working at all and you absolutely must play video games, it is a terrible time to purchase a video card. Whatever you buy will basically be obsolete in a few months.

The thing is i wont be able to afford a brand new card anyway, so iether way i am boned right?

I suggest you a R9 390 and getting another 4GB Ram.
    Oh and dont get a 120gb SSD go for 250gb they cost just a bit more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    ^
    There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    ^
    There's your answer.
    Yeah but with my current situation of saving for a house deposit i'm 99% sure i wont be able to afford one of the new cards unless i use a credit card, of which doing so will lower the amount me and my fiancé can borrow due to debt I'm in a pickle.

Deleted
    Then look for a 380.

Deleted
    you have £200, don't spend it for next few months, save some more, get something that is actually worth the money.

The thing is i wont be able to afford a brand new card anyway, so iether way i am boned right?
    Well, when the 960s first came out they were about $200 US Dollars, so I'd imagine, if you put your 200 in savings and add like 5 a month to it until the Pascal x60s come out, you should have enough to get a brand new Pascal x60. Would probably be your best bet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but with my current situation of saving for a house deposit i'm 99% sure i wont be able to afford one of the new cards unless i use a credit card, of which doing so will lower the amount me and my fiancé can borrow due to debt I'm in a pickle.
    Except AMD's new cards will be R9 390 performance for around $200 or less. That is what AMD's new Polaris is going to be like at first. The Nvidia Pascal will be a new Titan X or 980 Ti killer. So really, just wait to see what AMD has. If anything, the prices will drop so you can get the 970 or 390 for cheaper.

Get a gtx 970 great card for 1080p gaming. Do not wait as some clueless person said for pascal they will be about 700 usd. Also since they will use gddr5x and not hbm2 no use in waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember the GTX 970 does have that 512MB memory issue and once Nvidia releases Pascal, they will most likely exploit it and make the 970 run slower through using this portion of memory. Once Nvidia has new cards for you to buy, they will make sure the older generation is slower.