Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Link it, because Ive never heard that before.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2012/05/17...tzen-interview

Metzen didn't say it'd be the "final" Diablo per se, but the final in this storyline. Keep in mind, I'm not the person who said "it was the last in the Diablo series", I am merely linking where he talks about this, since everyone is freaking out and/or saying the person who said this should be banned because he didn't link the source info. It took me 3 seconds of Googling, quit being lazy fucks if you want to act like it's some super serious business when someone says something on the forums without proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    No because this is 2016, and not 1996 where everyone uses 56k modems.

I'd love a Diablo 3 MMO, but I think Blizzard would either make a WoW sequel or an entirely new story for their next MMO. They'll eventually have to begin working on another MMO. It will take years upon years to make so I imagine they may possibly be working on one already. But a Diablo setting MMO? Won't happen. For one it would be rated M and that wouldn't be nearly as profitable for Blizzard. With that said, a Diablo MMO would be great.

They've already got the basic classes out there. Barbarian, Wizard/Sorcerer, Necromancer, Paladin/Crusader, Amazon, Demon Hunter, Druid, etc. I just don't see Blizzard doing it though sadly.
    If and until you see them hiring on a large scale for an unannounced project, like for Titan, then any work they're doing is conceptual, if they're doing any. I wouldn't be surprised if they play with a lot of things on the conceptual stage, that we won't see for years, if ever. They need a new franchise, to fill in where StarCraft is, but I don't see them making 2 MMO's at the same time. They'd need to hire on a massive scale for that kind of workload - and they've admitted they already had a logjam in the art department.

What I think are possibilities are a StarCraft game, but with Diablo lore and art and characters, and a Diablo style dungeon runner in the style of StarCraft. And, both franchises are ripe for folding into the Hearthstone platform. You could also theorize using the core Overwatch technology for Diablo and StarCraft. They also have mobile gaming to move into, I think Fallout Shelter may have proven that smaller, simple titles alongside larger ones works.

I agree that they need a new franchise, but they have a lot they can still do with their existing ones. I'd bet on something being announced at the next Blizzcon - Legion will be out, Overwatch will be out, and there's nothing new left on the table, just expansions. Legion Q&A will take up a lot of the panels, but they need something big for the opening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    That's not how businesses work. Just because he's the lore/story guy doesn't mean he decides when the game is finished.
    Actually, it is. Get mad and wall of text at me all you want, everyone answers to him for story - and story drives the games. He, Brack, and the game developers like Chilton decide, and if you think Chilton has more pull than Metzen...well, I'll get infracted to continue.

I also didn't say that he said the game was over. Read for comprehension next time, instead of knee-jerk spewing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    If and until you see them hiring on a large scale for an unannounced project, like for Titan, then any work they're doing is conceptual, if they're doing any. I wouldn't be surprised if they play with a lot of things on the conceptual stage, that we won't see for years, if ever. They need a new franchise, to fill in where StarCraft is, but I don't see them making 2 MMO's at the same time. They'd need to hire on a massive scale for that kind of workload - and they've admitted they already had a logjam in the art department.

What I think are possibilities are a StarCraft game, but with Diablo lore and art and characters, and a Diablo style dungeon runner in the style of StarCraft. And, both franchises are ripe for folding into the Hearthstone platform. You could also theorize using the core Overwatch technology for Diablo and StarCraft. They also have mobile gaming to move into, I think Fallout Shelter may have proven that smaller, simple titles alongside larger ones works.

I agree that they need a new franchise, but they have a lot they can still do with their existing ones. I'd bet on something being announced at the next Blizzcon - Legion will be out, Overwatch will be out, and there's nothing new left on the table, just expansions. Legion Q&A will take up a lot of the panels, but they need something big for the opening.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it is. Get mad and wall of text at me all you want, everyone answers to him for story - and story drives the games. He, Brack, and the game developers like Chilton decide, and if you think Chilton has more pull than Metzen...well, I'll get infracted to continue.

I also didn't say that he said the game was over. Read for comprehension next time, instead of knee-jerk spewing at me.
    A story/lore writer will never and has never had control over a game and whether they make a new one or not. He's incredibly influential, but if he outright refuses and they want another one made....another one will be made. Without question. Nobody is mad, don't be so sensitive.

Also the quote was not just directed at you, it was also directed at the original guy who stated that Metzen said diablo is over.

Quote Originally Posted by What is wrong with you View Post
    http://www.ew.com/article/2012/05/17...tzen-interview

Metzen didn't say it'd be the "final" Diablo per se, but the final in this storyline. Keep in mind, I'm not the person who said "it was the last in the Diablo series", I am merely linking where he talks about this, since everyone is freaking out and/or saying the person who said this should be banned because he didn't link the source info. It took me 3 seconds of Googling, quit being lazy fucks if you want to act like it's some super serious business when someone says something on the forums without proof.
    I dont think anyones freaking out really, its just the reaction of stating something as fact with no proof when its clear they are in the beginning stages of a new Diablo game. I also read the article when it came out and like you say, he didnt say it was the end of Diablo just the story arc.

Well, it's a 2012 interview.

With info we have now it's pretty easy what Metzen was talking about: the storyline. Basically he said that the grand plan Diablo was all about was to be able to invade the Heavens, which he's been able to thanks to the intervention of the nephalem multiple times (the first reincarnation, the warrior not destroying his soulstone and the destruction of the worldstone to name a few).

Anyway even after all the crap we have put up we have been able to stop his plan - this is the end Metzen talks about, also very clearly now.

What we have left:
    - the black soulstone is still around with the souls of Diablo and all the lesser evils we killed
    - Malthael story arc which pretty much states nephalem are not all good and corrupt by the source

These two alone could make for great storylines. Not counting the other greater evils, and the fact that angels can see us as enemies as Malthael did. Plus the Sanctualy world is way bigger that the regions we have seen, hence new zones can pop up and have their own lore made.

I don't see the Diablo franchise much dead. More like going for another expansion after RoS and then again 12 years for chapter 4
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    To those thinking that WoW storyline is dead and Warcraft 4 is not possible, I would err on the side of them continuing to milk that franchise for all it's worth especially when the movie hits and if it is a success. There may be more movies to come and they would be kinda pointless if Blizzard didn't continue to keep games based in the same story going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I seriously doubt Blizzard will bother with another MMO anytime soon.

Not worth the effort compared how all the "WoW killers" fared in the past and probably one of the reasons why they abandoned project Titan.
    But they weren't Blizzard games. If Blizzard were to announce a Diablo MMO, not only would you get fans from the MMO genere coming in droves (specifically since it would be a Blizzard game), but you would have Action RPG lovers, and lovers of the Diablo universe playing it. There are MILLIONS of people who play, or have played in the Diablo IP, and bringing a completely new game centered in that universe would be a huge appeal to that demographic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zabatakis View Post
    It makes zero sense for a D3 mmo. It would only compete with WoW, which is not what you want. I mean it would be great for game lovers, but for investors it would just be dumb, and therefore I cannot see it happen.

At least that is my opinion.
    How about $19.99 per month, and you get a sub to both WoW and a Diablo MMO?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    No because this is 2016, and not 1996 where everyone uses 56k modems.

I'd love a Diablo 3 MMO, but I think Blizzard would either make a WoW sequel or an entirely new story for their next MMO. They'll eventually have to begin working on another MMO. It will take years upon years to make so I imagine they may possibly be working on one already. But a Diablo setting MMO? Won't happen. For one it would be rated M and that wouldn't be nearly as profitable for Blizzard. With that said, a Diablo MMO would be great.
    I'm not sure how this is even logical. Look at GTA online. GTA is a Rated M game, and it has broken sales records, and is hugely popular as an online platform. I think the brand name of Diablo is enough to break sales records for a new MMO in that universe imo.

I'm sure Blizzard would be smart enough to run 2 mmo's at the same time and still be wildly profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I seriously doubt Blizzard will bother with another MMO anytime soon.

Not worth the effort compared how all the "WoW killers" fared in the past and probably one of the reasons why they abandoned project Titan.
    Im telling you, Project Titan was Destiny, It was a way to keep destiny a secret.

I don't see them doing Diablo as an MMO - at least for now - since WoW is still a thing and until it goes into "maintenance mode" i don't see Blizzard going on another MMO journey. Also the genre is actually saturated by an enrmous amount of MMO games around, so again why throwing resources to develop a game that size if you have not guarantees for it to be successful.

Many people forget how WoW was not meant to have this amount of players from the very start, everything that happened later has been Blizzard work to keep up with the players.

Atm Diablo works wonders as a "periodical game" where people jump in and out at will, and that what's keeping people playing it; you can see how WoW is bleeding subs just because players don't give half an ass anymore about committment and scheduled raiding, etc etc etc.

Let's wait for a more than simply probable big announcment, and i put my money on D3 exp 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Atm Diablo works wonders as a "periodical game" where people jump in and out at will, and that what's keeping people playing it; you can see how WoW is bleeding subs just because players don't give half an ass anymore about committment and scheduled raiding, etc etc etc.

Let's wait for a more than simply probable big announcment, and i put my money on D3 exp 2.
    It felt amazing in Diablo not having to commit to a schedule to do everything in the game. Most people have a job, and raiding feels like a second one. I could never raid for more than 2 months, there were so many evenings were I hated being on. While in Diablo, the only downside is that you're missing paragon levels, if you're running for top 10 on leaderboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynx View Post
    It felt amazing in Diablo not having to commit to a schedule to do everything in the game. Most people have a job, and raiding feels like a second one. I could never raid for more than 2 months, there were so many evenings were I hated being on. While in Diablo, the only downside is that you're missing paragon levels, if you're running for top 10 on leaderboards.
    And again, Leaderboards are only a personal thing and don't prevent anyone to play the game to the fullest - example the Journey can be completed fully playing solo and with low-ish paragon (got mine done at 640ish but i slacked a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    This is stated where, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Source or it didn't happen, there should really be a infraction-able rule on this sort of thing.
    Rather, should be infraction-able to fail to google something for 2 seconds and bitch about source.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Link it, because Ive never heard that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    Source? Also why Metzen?
    http://www.mtv.com/news/2457494/diablo-iii-storyline/

Also note that I was quoting a video where a person speculated about the upcoming game being Diablo 4.

Although to be fair, I'm entirely sure I watched an interview with Metzen saying that it would be the last of the series altogether, since "Diablo" is a very problematic name in terms of trademarks etc, since it literally means devil in spanish. Since well, they bought the studio after they had produced Diablo 1 already, and it was kind of late to change the name at that point. But he wasn't happy with it.

Unfortunately I can't find the source of that interview, so I guess you're very free to disbelieve me on that one.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think an MMO is very likely, but if it was done right I think I would be very excited for it, especially if it was very focused on solo or small group story content.

What I would personally love more than anything is a first person RPG, something a la Skyrim and similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Well, it's a 2012 interview.

With info we have now it's pretty easy what Metzen was talking about: the storyline. Basically he said that the grand plan Diablo was all about was to be able to invade the Heavens, which he's been able to thanks to the intervention of the nephalem multiple times (the first reincarnation, the warrior not destroying his soulstone and the destruction of the worldstone to name a few).

Anyway even after all the crap we have put up we have been able to stop his plan - this is the end Metzen talks about, also very clearly now.

What we have left:
    - the black soulstone is still around with the souls of Diablo and all the lesser evils we killed
    - Malthael story arc which pretty much states nephalem are not all good and corrupt by the source

These two alone could make for great storylines. Not counting the other greater evils, and the fact that angels can see us as enemies as Malthael did. Plus the Sanctualy world is way bigger that the regions we have seen, hence new zones can pop up and have their own lore made.

I don't see the Diablo franchise much dead. More like going for another expansion after RoS and then again 12 years for chapter 4
    Malthael shattered the black soulstone in the fight.......

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Malthael shattered the black soulstone in the fight.......
    Yeah, i forgot about that.

Anyway, this means that now all the souls contained in it are free to go - either in the Chaos to be reborn at a later time or into another host.

Just let leoric rest in peace, the guy is almost worst than kael'thas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I have a feeling that there is some BIG Diablo news that will happen sooner rather than later. Lots of movement in the Diablo universe, and with them hiring another artist for a diablo centric world, I feel it might be the pre-cursor to an announcement of a Diablo MMO.

One can hope right?!

I would play the shit out of that if that happens. I would even sub to that if it was a monthly fee.
    This is something my guildies and I have had lengthy talks about for a couple years now. An MMO based in the Diablo universe would be absolutely amazing if it were done right. It would have to be dark and 'evil' to really feel right though.

That said, I highly doubt Blizzard will ever do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they would do a Diablo MMO. My guess would be more like a Dynasty Warrior type gameplay wise. Just endless of weak enemies to mash and some elites with special skills.

Sure, it may be unlikely, but I would be all over a Diablo MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    I don't think they would do a Diablo MMO. My guess would be more like a Dynasty Warrior type gameplay wise. Just endless of weak enemies to mash and some elites with special skills.
    I would play the hell out of a dynasty warriors style game with all of the Blizzard heroes.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30