Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't bother me either way. The change happens on a Sunday (Early Morning) so I can just sleep until I feel rested, and then I go to bed at the time I normally would. I don't lose an hour of sleep. I lose an hour of my "weekend," but I make sure it isn't my sleep.

I personally enjoy that the sun stays out until 9PM(ish) in the height of summer. I know that I can enjoy the sun a lot more at 8pm than I would at 4am.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    yes and i'm stating why it was perpetuated. Now i think its just gone on for so long, no one has bothered to change it. although it does leave you with longer days, the longest day in the uk, only sees about 3hrs of 'night', it'll stay light untill 11pm and gets light again at about 3am.
    ... First of, the French adopted daylight savings time in 1917 and never let go, so unless you´re talking about some specific instances when during ww2 it helped somehow with the blitz, i´m not sure how it was tied to the blitz.

And the length of the days don´t change because of DTS. If the UK wouldn´t use it the longest day would stay light untill 10pm and gets light again at about 2am.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    True. I work in a secure area with no windows. It kills my soul everyday. I get depressed in the winter because its always dark. Actually got a blood test and had to take extra vitamin D because I wasn't getting enough. In the summer though im happy as can be.
    No windows? I'm pretty sure that's illegal, at least here it is.

for us I think many ppl used it as a cut off point for getting home and making sure your house doesn't look like a christmas tree.

but the average mid summer day will last until 10pm anyway, its already staying light atm until about 8pm.

i could see how changing your operating hours could be tactically advantageous in war. if your dudes are all up and ready to go an hour or so before your enemies.

but this is what i remember being told, the reason why ppl used daylight savings during ww2 was so that they would get home before the bombing started. and before the blackout.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-15 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by En dum en View Post
    No windows? I'm pretty sure that's illegal, at least here it is.
    Its secure. no phones either. classified info.

Deleted
    Its secure. no phones either. classified info.
    God damn. Living the nazi dream.

Quote Originally Posted by En dum en View Post
    God damn. Living the nazi dream.
    At least it pays well. I have 2 offices but I haven't been on the low side in a while. Got 3 really big windows over there.

Deleted
    At least it pays well. I have 2 offices but I haven't been on the low side in a while. Got 3 really big windows over there.
    True, extreme conditions often pay well. At least your other office compensate.

Deleted
    Because then it would be dark as shit in the morning until like 9am in the middle of winter. Due to the tilt of the earth, you have like 3 or so more hours of sunlight during the summer, than you do during the winter. Daylight savings time is about trying to equalize it out.

http://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ss...aee4_w1500.png

How can it be dark as shit? darkness is darkness, it can't be more dark.
    During the winter is dark in the morning anyway and winter days are shorter, you can't have it both ways, it's not about equalizing because that's not the purpose of DST. Also what's the difference between one extra hour of dark in the morning and one extra in the evening?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    for us I think many ppl used it as a cut off point for getting home and making sure your house doesn't look like a christmas tree.

but the average mid summer day will last until 10pm anyway, its already staying light atm until about 8pm.

i could see how changing your operating hours could be tactically advantageous in war. if your dudes are all up and ready to go an hour or so before your enemies.
    How is getting up and ready tied to daytime? Do you think they have working hours in the army, during wartime?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

LOL @ this topic.

This is amazing.

I have worked on shifts where we have lost and gained an hours, I have slept through the loss and gain, I have got up and hour earlier and an hour later and I am fine. in my 33 years I can safely say I have never thought the need to get rid of it. I can only see the benefits.

Who wants it getting brighter in the morning and the sun waking you up and silly o'clock?

You lot are so fucking melodramatic. Making mountains out of molehills. Everything is always the thin end of the wedge with you drama queens.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still use here for 2 reasons.

1) Save electricity
    2) Less people suffer seasonal depression cuz they can see light longer before sleep.

I work the night shift and winter time is hell. I wake up it's dark, i go to work it's dark, i need to avoid the sun if i want to sleep in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    It's still use here for 2 reasons.

1) Save electricity
    2) Less people suffer seasonal depression cuz they can see light longer before sleep.

I work the night shift and winter time is hell. I wake up it's dark, i go to work it's dark, i need to avoid the sun if i want to sleep in the morning.
    How does it save electricity?

It doesn't affect the amount of time the sun is up...

Quote Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
    How can it be dark as shit? darkness is darkness, it can't be more dark.
    During the winter is dark in the morning anyway and winter days are shorter, you can't have it both ways, it's not about equalizing because that's not the purpose of DST. Also what's the difference between one extra hour of dark in the morning and one extra in the evening?

The difference between one hour of dark in the morning and one extra in the evening is most people appreciate the one in the evening more. They want the sun to rise around 6-7 because that's when most people get up for work/school. If it wasn't for DST the sun would rise around 430 in the middle of summer. No one wants that. If we had DST hours all year long, the sun wouldn't rise until 8-830 in the middle of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    How is getting up and ready tied to daytime? Do you think they have working hours in the army, during wartime?
    no they don't have regular working hours, from what i remember, the military are the ones who mostly use the 24 hr clock, but I remember being told once that 00:00 isn't a recognizable hour and so, many ppl get drunk at that time because its an 'off' hour.

The difference between one hour of dark in the morning and one extra in the evening is most people appreciate the one in the evening more. They want the sun to rise around 6-7 because that's when most people get up for work/school.
    Who are these crazy people that want the sun to be blinding them on their way to work?

you complaining about time change being confusing. take a look at Venezuela. its not an hour its half an hour so when in the US is 930 am in venezuela is 9am. thanks obama? thanks hugo chavez

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    How does it save electricity?

It doesn't affect the amount of time the sun is up...
    Well, it could be argued that companies save light because of the shift, though in our times i don´t see that having much of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Who are these crazy people that want the sun to be blinding them on their way to work?
    People that enjoy it being light out in the morning.

Also, a piece of advice to live by: Make sure you buy your home to the east of your workplace. You will have the sun on your back both directions.