Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Really? You sure? Overwatch suffers from the same shortcomings as Hots: Super focused on teamwork and horrible as a solo player.
    Hots is free though so it'll always attract people but Overwatch is just not going to be able to keep the same amount of players and it won't have the same amount of players even trying it as it's not free.
    It's also not able to ride on the success of other products as it's a new IP.

There are other issues as well, like a lackluster progression system and poor balance, though these can be fixed with a little effort from Blizzards side. Not looking like they'll try befor launch though.
    I am certain. No way the game will be dead a few months after release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either they'll go F2P after a week or two (because no one plays it), which is very unlikely.. Or they'll go F2P a few years down the line/never

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Either they'll go F2P after a week or two (because no one plays it), which is very unlikely.. Or they'll go F2P a few years down the line/never
    In a few years time the game could see a price drop to 20 Euro/USD just like D3 did. I don't see any reason why the game would have to go F2P at all.

There is Buy to Play (Flat game cost) , Free to Play (Absolutely Free) and Pay to Play (Subscription model usually with a flat game cost). Just to clear it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    In a few years time the game could see a price drop to 20 Euro/USD just like D3 did. I don't see any reason why the game would have to go F2P at all.
    Also what I think will happen. The only reason people expect it to be free is because TF2 is. (And people have it in their heads it's a TF2 clone)

Deleted
    So how long before Overwatch goes pm2p (pay ME to play it)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Also what I think will happen. The only reason people expect it to be free is because TF2 is. (And people have it in their heads it's a TF2 clone)
    And TF2 only went free to play after 4 years and drastically changing the drop system, and adding a lottery-style chance of getting an extremely over the top cosmetic.

there are people in beta right now with level well over 150. them levels disappear when it goes live. there are so many counters to so many team combos that the game is just always gonna be fun. personally I haven't gotten bored since day 1 of beta. this game is awesome and I cannot wait till more people come on to it
    Now as Blood Elf
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
    there are people in beta right now with level well over 150. them levels disappear when it goes live. there are so many counters to so many team combos that the game is just always gonna be fun. personally I haven't gotten bored since day 1 of beta. this game is awesome and I cannot wait till more people come on to it
    Also Overwatch is going to add more characters as it goes along that everyone will have instant access too, rather than TF2's system of "Here's new weapons, gotta hope they drop, buy them, or hope to craft them"

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You are the absolute most depressing person in the Overwatch forums that I have seen so far lol You seem determined to ensure everyone knows what is wrong with OW and just how awful it is going to do. Why are you still even in the OW forums since you clearly have no real interest in the game as it currently is? Would you not rather be talking about a game you do like and have interest in? o.O

You also can't really compare OW and HoTS given their respective markets.

Anyway, as much as I dislike Blizzard when it comes to WoW right now, they seem to be doing OW right, imo. Some people loved it but as soon as they mentioned it would initially cost money, they magically started to hate it. Just because TF2 exists as a free game now, they clearly expected OW to be free and now feel entitled to it.
    I'd rather they fix whats wrong with it. The game itself is not bad but Blizzard made some rather wierd choices, imo.

Deleted
    I would expect F2P(or a massive cost reduction) announcement somewhere around Blizzcon this year. The current price(40 Euro) is insane for overwatch,and when you count in the skin system you wonder if they shouldn't have made it free in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    I would expect F2P(or a massive cost reduction) announcement somewhere around Blizzcon this year. The current price(40 Euro) is insane for overwatch,and when you count in the skin system you wonder if they shouldn't have made it free in the first place.
    Not going to happen. People buy games like SW:BF, BF and COD with season pass that ends up costing 110 euros total. And after spending that kind of money after a year a new game comes out so no more content for the old game. OW basic edition is 40 euro and all heroes and maps after release will be free. On top of that content for the game will be coming out long after the games it out, not just the first year.

I can't see the game getting a price cut for at least the first year and I don't see it going F2P at all.

Not going to happen. People buy games like SW:BF, BF and COD with season pass that ends up costing 110 euros total. And after spending that kind of money after a year a new game comes out so no more content for the old game. OW basic edition is 40 euro and all heroes and maps after release will be free. On top of that content for the game will be coming out long after the games it out, not just the first year.

I can't see the game getting a price cut for at least the first year and I don't see it going F2P at all.
    This.

At WORST they might do a starter edition. Just like they do for all their games. SC2 gives you the ability to play terrans on certain maps in multiplayer. Diablo 3 has its own limitations. Wow's starter editions is basically an endless free trial up to level 20, limited gold, no chat, etc.

What OW could do would be to give starter edition players access to one of each type of hero (offense/defense/support/etc) and probably a smaller map rotation. Probably no progression (IE no skins, leveling or boxes) and no ranked play. Basically a demo.

But if they do that people will scream 'omg free to play' or something stupid like that.

FO4 is 60 Euro on Steam, OW is 40 Euro for the basic edition.
    Not in my region.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Not in my region.
    That might be true for you, but for the EU/US region which I assume is the majority, that is the price. FO4 is 50% more expensive. That of course is the PC price. I believe the consoles don't have a basic edition, just origin and CE.

Blizzard won't make it F2P ever, look at WC3 lol. Being an FPS won't make any difference, Blizzard attracts players from across its titles, it will be very popular.

I mean, did SC2 or D3 go FTP?

It'll probably be the same with OW. It will get cheaper, they'll do special deals, if there are expansions they'll eventually bundle them in or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I mean, did SC2 or D3 go FTP?

It'll probably be the same with OW. It will get cheaper, they'll do special deals, if there are expansions they'll eventually bundle them in or something...
    They both have 'starter' editions which are basically unlimited free trials with severe restrictions. At most that's what OW would have.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    They both have 'starter' editions which are basically unlimited free trials with severe restrictions. At most that's what OW would have.
    I dunno what more people want other than discounts, it's B2P so it's a one-off cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Wanted to ask this question since it was announced, that Overwatch will be paid game. I have played some FPS games and all of them have the same problem - lack of players to play with. And way too small playerbase causes terrible matchmaking - developers have to open MM dump valves in order to keep queue times within acceptable range. And unbalanced matches turn game into stompfest, which lead game to slowly dying.

So. What do you think? For many players paying for FPS game isn't justified, especially when there are many F2P analogues, so Overwatch population will most likely be tiny. Do you think, that Blizzard will have to switch to F2P model pretty fast to keep this game alive? Do you think, it's reasonable to pay for it at release, instead of waiting till it will go F2P, as you'd waste your money then?
    I think it entirely depends on the rate that they add new content after release. The only game I've had the issues you're talking about is COD. I don't think it will ever go F2P but a price drop is possible. A big problem with a F2P shooter is that it's really easy to use hacks over and over without worrying about getting banned.