Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always compare daylight saving with a money loan. You're happy when you touch the money, but damn does it sucks when you have to give it back.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    no they don't have regular working hours, from what i remember, the military are the ones who mostly use the 24 hr clock, but I remember being told once that 00:00 isn't a recognizable hour and so, many ppl get drunk at that time because its an 'off' hour.
    I still can´t figure out how that has anything to do with the blitz.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well, it could be argued that companies save light because of the shift, though in our times i don´t see that having much of an impact.
    From what ive always thought, you save electricity because you don't turn your lights on at night until an hour later. I turn my lights on in the morning before work no matter what time of year because it is always too dark to do everything. At night though, with DST, I wont turn on my lights until 8, instead of 7. So if I go to bed at 10, that's 2 hours of electricity, instead of 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    From what ive always thought, you save electricity because you don't turn your lights on at night until an hour later. I turn my lights on in the morning before work no matter what time of year because it is always too dark to do everything. At night though, with DST, I wont turn on my lights until 8, instead of 7. So if I go to bed at 10, that's 2 hours of electricity, instead of 3.
    Yeah, but during winter you add that ... so all year long it evens out.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Uhhhh because its great. You get "more" Sunlight especially during there summer months here in Aus. I wish we had daylight saving times all the time here in Syd summer would have to come with it as well of course.

I still can´t figure out how that has anything to do with the blitz.
    because your not reading obviously, just randomly quoting shit to pump up your post count, well if your not blind you'll see that i've already said it 3 times.

during the blitz... we got that part read? sitting in the brain, ok now pay attention closely... there was a thing called the blackout, where ppl had to obscure light so they wouldn't be seen, and therefore bombed.

now daylight savings yeah? made it so ppl got home and had time to prepare for that.

make SENSE NOW?

Studies show it increases power consumption a minuscule amount.

Yeah, but during winter you add that ... so all year long it evens out.
    No winter is the normal hours. So without DST, you would turn your lights on in winter at around 5 when it starts getting dark, up until 10 when you sleep. So 5 hours for 1 half of the year. Without DST, in summer, you would turn your lights on at 7, until 10, so 3 hours for half the year. With DST though, you only use 2 hours in summer, so you save an hour. You could argue that we should use DST all year round to save an additional hour in winter half of the year, but then we run into the problem of the sun not coming up until 830 and that has its own problems so saving an hour of sunlight isn't worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. Ive always just liked it for later sunlight. I have had many summer parties / bonfires where the extra sunlight has been helpful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    because your not reading obviously, just randomly quoting shit to pump up your post count, well if your not blind you'll see that i've already said it 3 times.

during the blitz... we got that part read? sitting in the brain, ok now pay attention closely... there was a thing called the blackout, where ppl had to obscure light so they wouldn't be seen, and therefore bombed.

now daylight savings yeah? made it so ppl got home and had time to prepare for that.

make SENSE NOW?
    But everyone used daylight saving since years, got it?

Deleted
    I think it's good. If you for some reason fuckup your sleeping schedule you can miss the sun in Sweden during deep winter. We've got to overcompensate in the summers when we have like 3-4 hours of darkness. If DST means we can spend 1 more hour in sun, so be it. Love it!

Northern Europe, the region of the extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    They power consumption savings were more from earlier decades when our technology were less energy efficient.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    That Youtube video is by a team that frequently does very thorough research for their pieces, so I'm inclined to take their word for it - not to mention that it was reported on the news as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The video is actually incorrect about that, it may have been introduced by germany in world war 1 but the idea in itself comes from a man known as George Hudson from New Zealand
    They sure do very thorough research. It actually was intended for after-hours daylight, what is a big reason people are defending it in this thread too.
    Reading the research done in the past, it's been deemed as slightly positive too regarding traffic accidents at least. Increase in accidents for a week or 2, but overall reduction for the whole time. With countries like Sweden and Finland seeing no increase at all even during the first weeks.

People that enjoy it being light out in the morning.

Also, a piece of advice to live by: Make sure you buy your home to the east of your workplace. You will have the sun on your back both directions.
    Then it's just in the mirrors.

I'd rather drive in the dark than drive with blinding sunlight. I like actually being able to see while driving. I'm weird, I know.

Deleted
    The difference between one hour of dark in the morning and one extra in the evening is most people appreciate the one in the evening more. They want the sun to rise around 6-7 because that's when most people get up for work/school. If it wasn't for DST the sun would rise around 430 in the middle of summer. No one wants that. If we had DST hours all year long, the sun wouldn't rise until 8-830 in the middle of winter.
    That's not what the people posting in this thread say, my initial response was to the overwhelming majority who appreciate one extra hour of LIGHT in the evening, not dark.

And you can't change the length of day, unless you move to the equator. Where i live, during the summer/winter is usually 9:15, that should be 1:30 extra light/dark during summer/winter for both mornings and evenings. Personally i'd rather have the sun raise at 8:30 in the winter because it's dark when i wake up anyway but have some light when i get back home and feel there's a bit of day left to do something.

Oh and again, for everybody, DST is NOT a natural phenomenon!!!

But in todays world this means your AC will be running one extra hour.
    Last edited by mmoc126994aa46; 2016-03-15 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I consider DST to be the normal time, with winter time being -1 hour to squeeze more daylight when awake out of the short winter days. It makes more sense that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Because we haven't convinced people that it confuses the cows like Queensland, Australia did.
    Did you know that it does actually cause a reduction in milk production. No - not because it confuses the cows, they still know what the correct time is.
    It's because the humans are confused and turn up to milk an hour earlier.

Anyway - here in Queensland we don't have it as it is dangerous during school weeks.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    No winter is the normal hours. So without DST, you would turn your lights on in winter at around 5 when it starts getting dark, up until 10 when you sleep. So 5 hours for 1 half of the year. Without DST, in summer, you would turn your lights on at 7, until 10, so 3 hours for half the year. With DST though, you only use 2 hours in summer, so you save an hour. You could argue that we should use DST all year round to save an additional hour in winter half of the year, but then we run into the problem of the sun not coming up until 830 and that has its own problems so saving an hour of sunlight isn't worth it.
    Oh, right, since i´m up at 4:45 am i don´t really see (literally) the difference.

I hate the "spring forward" one. The part that really sucks is that I was finally starting to fix my sleeping habits a little bit, then BAM. Lose an hour on a fucking Saturday night. It's really had me screwed up for the last couple of days.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does it save electricity?

It doesn't affect the amount of time the sun is up...
    Here during winter the sun goes up around 7:30 (normal time) and in summer at around 5:00 (advanced time) So during winter having normal time means the sun goes up sooner (instead of 8:00 am with advanced time) so people pass less time at home with the lights up before going to work.
    During summer it's the opposite, during winter sun goes down at 17:00 (normal time) during summer it's around 20:00 (advanced time). So the sun stay up later meaning people at home lights up the house 1 hour later.

Don't know how much it saves electricity now with current light bulbs but we follow US saving time for business purposes so unless they remove it we won't.
    Last edited by Kagdar; 2016-03-15 at 01:45 PM.

Then it's just in the mirrors.

I'd rather drive in the dark than drive with blinding sunlight. I like actually being able to see while driving. I'm weird, I know.
    Unless you are driving at a perfect angle that the sun is just fucking you up, its much easier to drive in the light than the dark. Also, sun glasses are a thing if youre that sensitive.