Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Just give RET a chance in RBGs

Im a RET paladin at ~1600cr in RBGs, my best is 1792 since end of MoP and beginning of WoD. I used to have a weekly RBG team of about 8 ppl that ran regularly but they have all either quit for now or drastically lowered their WoW playing time. Now i cant seem to get anyone to take me as a RET...even when they're only asking for a 1500xp/cr and i link them my 1800 achievement in RBGs.

Now ive seen some team run RETS and when we get accepted into a team we can top damage meters over dks/warriors/enhance as long as we are in all team fights (ive done it before at 1600 rating)...ive even seen some RET being used to cap bases since we can 1v1 any base bitch.

all i want is for the general mindset of RETs to change in pvp and give all the awesome RETs out there a chance...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellmist View Post
    Now i cant seem to get anyone to take me as a RET...even when they're only asking for a 1500xp/cr and i link them my 1800 achievement in RBGs.
    I get declined when I apply to 1700 groups as a feral when I have multiple 2.4+s and 1x hero all in MoP.

It's how it is. Feral is certainly more "viable" than ret too. But you have to see it from the group leaders point of view, they're going to run the fotm. I don't really complain when I don't get invited, but I still try looking for groups. There is barely any difference between 1500 and 1800, especially in RBGs, so don't be too surprised at that. If you're expecting people to invite you, reroll. It's normally the low MMR groups too that are unwilling to take odd specs.

Sure, our specs can work, but why take them when you can take something a lot better instead?

"Hate the game, not the player"
    Last edited by Krusza; 2016-03-14 at 10:49 PM.

Deleted
    Open your own group, invite all the 1500 odd specs and see where that leads. You'll be back in an hour asking for the moonkin stats prio.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    Open your own group, invite all the 1500 odd specs and see where that leads. You'll be back in an hour asking for the moonkin stats prio.
    I played moonkin a fair bit during mop in RBGs too, I do like the spec, just find it really boring to play a caster in RBGs. I could easily get groups as boomkin, but what's the point in playing a spec I don't like? I don't care about rating anymore. The few groups I've been invited to went well, if not carried (don't wanna sound like a douche, but that's what happened)

I don't have the patience to lead, attempted it before. But I'm not the one complaining here, I'm just sharing my situation with the OP who is complaining about it.

Deleted
    Holinka best pvp dev ever. Among his many great successes, you can count Trashran, ret paladins and ww monks unwanted for rbgs for an entire fucking expansion, and mass rerolls of Horde to Alliance for racials.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Best of luck mate, I know the pain as somebody who prefers Holy over Disc (though I do accept why other healers are better then Holy Priest.)

A lot of people in lower brackets seem to put to much emphasis on "meta" specs rather then good players, when lower end rbgs generally don't have the coordination to focus kill targets effeciently with rot comps.

Anyways mate, best advice I could give you is run your own. I came back to WoW at the end of Feb, joined a casual rppvp guild on my realm and was doing 3's with a lock and dk. We decided to test the waters for some rbgs with the guild, and built around Unholy/Aff/HolyPriest, lost some matches due to bad players but found multiple good players along the way who had avoided rbgs due to the stigma around them and/or bad pug experiences. Find people who just want to play and slowly sort out the good from the bad, without becoming elitist in it because once you do your team will eventually boot you for being ret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Pretty much this,

I have 710, nearly fully mythic geared (from mythic dungeons) / full upgraded HFC LFR (one or two pieces) / Heroic HFC pieces from the themed weeks (the iron fleet caches thing), Nearly all of it is my top stat priority

And I can't get into a fucking normal HFC group which has 0 loot I need because I haven't got an achi, regardless my past exp in raiding dates back to TBC at a decent level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave up on PVP due to the Ret stigma. Give it up, and wait until Legion. Maybe the 4th expansion with RBGs we'll see if Blizzard gets it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Pretty much this,

I have 710, nearly fully mythic geared (from mythic dungeons) / full upgraded HFC LFR (one or two pieces) / Heroic HFC pieces from the themed weeks (the iron fleet caches thing), Nearly all of it is my top stat priority

And I can't get into a fucking normal HFC group which has 0 loot I need because I haven't got an achi, regardless my past exp in raiding dates back to TBC at a decent level.
    This is because Blizzard introduced AOTC achievement which the community uses to weed out all the inexperienced players. Which is just wrong to the point where I end up telling people off when they ask me to link AOTC. I did get it, but as Holy not as Ret. Once I have it, people started to invite.

Retired my ret mid Season 2. Just too much of a handicap on the team when you're taking up 1 slot in 7 for DPS. Ret has no role and just basic damage, average damage at best.

Cant FC, rogues, tanks, druids, DK can while rets are squishy and slow
    Cant hold nodes, pet classes can
    Cant run carts, no real speed boost to move it quick
    Cant ninja nodes, no stealth
    Cant pressure healers, no MS effect and just 1 stun that's dispellable
    Their utility - mainly hand of prot. Whoopdedoo. Hpal got that covered already and if no Hpal I'd rather run without this minor utility than take a ret

Every RBG we see with a ret is like playing with half a man down. Pops wings then you CC him, otherwise just ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Pretty much this,

A. This is about PvP. Not your place for "QQ I cant get into raiding"
    B. PvE ret is fine so it's probably you
    C. Claiming to be Mythic geared doesn't mean Mythic dungeons + LFR peices
    Last edited by Astynax; 2016-03-15 at 04:11 PM.

With Retri being more melee focused you'd think the build would have either more mitigation or much more burst .. Has any of that materialized?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    Holinka best pvp dev ever. Among his many great successes, you can count Trashran, ret paladins and ww monks unwanted for rbgs for an entire fucking expansion, and mass rerolls of Horde to Alliance for racials.
    It's not like Holinka did all that himself. WW and Rets were never wanted in MoP either, along with loads of other specs. It's the same as arena, how many people would play with an arcane mage? You can get high rating with it, but it's a lot harder than it would be playing fotm.

While Holinka has failed, there really isn't a way to get over the hurdle of the fundamental problem melee has in large scale combat, they either need a key/unique ability like grip/smokebomb or be god level op.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    It's not like Holinka did all that himself. WW and Rets were never wanted in MoP either, along with loads of other specs. It's the same as arena, how many people would play with an arcane mage? You can get high rating with it, but it's a lot harder than it would be playing fotm.
    Ret and ww are the only dps specs of a whole class, mages have fire and frost to go to when arcane sucks. Not all specs of a class should be equally viable for both pvp and pve, but when a class has a damage-only spec or healing-only spec and that one spec also sucks for rbgs, well we have a huge fucking problem.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ret and ww are the only dps specs of a whole class, mages have fire and frost to go to when arcane sucks. Not all specs of a class should be equally viable for both pvp and pve, but when a class has a damage-only spec or healing-only spec and that one spec also sucks for rbgs, well we have a huge fucking problem.
    But the specs play completely differently. I know a lot of mages that hate frost and only play fire. They won't respec the same way OP and me won't reroll. It's pretty much the same as rerolling a new char. I stopped playing my rogue when combat became the thing, because I only liked sub. Saying "not all specs should be equally viable as long as each class has a viable spec" is basically saying you don't really want balance. What if I don't like the viable spec? Doesn't matter because I at least have 1 viable spec?

This goes for all non-rogue melee though. The need for rogues is obvious, but even DK's are there purely for Deathgrip. Another mage or boomkin would certainly be an upgrade from a damage/CC perspective. You do see some warriors but that is purely for execute kills and even then I am sure those teams would again rather have another Harry Potter.

There are just so many inherent issues with melee that unless they do obscene amounts of damage or have one uniquely necessary ability (grip/mass grip) a caster is almost always going to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    But the specs play completely differently. I know a lot of mages that hate frost and only play fire. They won't respec the same way OP and me won't reroll. It's pretty much the same as rerolling a new char. I stopped playing my rogue when combat became the thing, because I only liked sub. Saying "not all specs should be equally viable as long as each class has a viable spec" is basically saying you don't really want balance. What if I don't like the viable spec? Doesn't matter because I at least have 1 viable spec?
    Id respect that if paladins had another dps spec, but we dont, its either tank/dps/heal. i tried to heal but im not that good and i would have to farm an entirely alternate set of conquest gear. Prots a no-go for obvious reasons, and so that just leaves me with the spec ive been playing since WotLK....RET which i am effin awesome at but just looking for a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried that, may never get a group running...soon as ppl start showing up...."ugh a ret, no thx"...then leaves

10+ Year Old Account

as far as i remember holy pallys always had a spot in arenas and rbgs,that still the case? if so ret not being used is no big deal since your other spec is in demand,cant be bis across the board.

- - - Updated - - -

Id respect that if paladins had another dps spec, but we dont, its either tank/dps/heal. i tried to heal but im not that good and i would have to farm an entirely alternate set of conquest gear. Prots a no-go for obvious reasons, and so that just leaves me with the spec ive been playing since WotLK....RET which i am effin awesome at but just looking for a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried that, may never get a group running...soon as ppl start showing up...."ugh a ret, no thx"...then leaves
    ive been playing since WotLK....RET

no wonder

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.

- - - Updated - - -

Join casual PvP guild. Do Arenas with people, make friends who know you can play. Play with multiple people so you can find a solid 5 or 6 man core. Then start bringing in others who mesh with you guys. Otherwise this is par the course for pugs. Also if you don't know how learn to target call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    as far as i remember holy pallys always had a spot in arenas and rbgs,that still the case? if so ret not being used is no big deal since your other spec is in demand,cant be bis across the board.

- - - Updated - - -

ive been playing since WotLK....RET

no wonder
    what does that mean? not asking to be FotM...just viable. Like i said before, i tried healing and im not that good + ill have to farm an entirely new set of gear with may take up till legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    Join casual PvP guild. Do Arenas with people, make friends who know you can play. Play with multiple people so you can find a solid 5 or 6 man core. Then start bringing in others who mesh with you guys. Otherwise this is par the course for pugs. Also if you don't know how learn to target call.
    im in a casual pvp guild and i have tons of friends that know i can play but its because i have a geared dk/hunter/mage that they just say...bring those (because they are more viable)

10+ Year Old Account
    what does that mean? not asking to be FotM...just viable. Like i said before, i tried healing and im not that good + ill have to farm an entirely new set of gear with may take up till legion.

- - - Updated - - -

im in a casual pvp guild and i have tons of friends that know i can play but its because i have a geared dk/hunter/mage that they just say...bring those (because they are more viable)
    "what does that mean?"

you never said if holy pallys are still in demand,im guessing they are correct? so that means you have one high end spec for pvp play that spec and who can at some point have dps and healing gear.

this every spec viable crap is one of the reason why wows pvp shit the bed years ago. like frost mage = pvp spec but now they want fire "viable" so they give it tools over the years while still doing top end damage in pve = unblanced.thats just one example but there are many.

look at arms warriors its always more or less been play arms in pvp or re roll.sure fury was "viable" during s5 because arms sucked so bad and once every 4 years prot is good for a month but outside of that the devs still try to give each class 1 good pvp spec.speaking of S5 rets were face-roll correct?and holy was bad ass as well,not really all that "fair" to a class like warrior when their pvp spec "arms" sucked so bad everyone went fury.

this game had much better pvp way back in BC,each class and spec felt different and had different tools/talents.now everyone wants an MS,the same hit points,cc,stuns ect.

hell i was lucky i got to dps a little as arms in rbgs way back in cata 90% of the time i had to go prot to get a spot,it was more or less range fest and rogues smoke bombings after dks pulled.

my personal best in rbgs was 2199 would have been higher if my guild/rbg team did not fall apart.found another pvp guild joined their alt team for rbgs "they were 2300+" and their mains where 2500+.so trust me i know what its like being sat because of your main spec,so get good at healing and you will always have a spot.then from time to time you can dps if you get an extra healer.
    Last edited by meathead; 2016-03-16 at 12:30 AM.