Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    - Crafting, Crafting is part minigame, part combat. You can really enjoy it.
    I wish there was an MMO out there were it had a similar crafting system like FF14 but you could go on quests as that class. Basically you would have some offensive prowess to fight off mobs to get their skins and such for crafting. Not just gathering them from nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I wish there was an MMO out there were it had a similar crafting system like FF14 but you could go on quests as that class. Basically you would have some offensive prowess to fight off mobs to get their skins and such for crafting. Not just gathering them from nodes.
    Uhh.... You can just through on your combat set, change to a combat class/job.. kill mobs and get their pelts.. Done.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

I love and hate it at the same time.
    Jobs are fun, and I really enjoy BLM's circular style of transitioning between astral and umbral.

However. I zoomed to 50 when ARR released and quit playing shortly after capping to 50 on a few other classes.
    I returned recently, as my guild is on there while we try to avoid burning out too much on WoW.

I have 100ish MSQ's until I can begin Heavensward content(Pretty much ALL the lv 50 MSQ's for all the patches and then the Castrum/Praetoriam dungeons before I can begin that era of quests. The questing is nice, but I seriously feel a little overwhelmed and wish I could get through some of it faster so I can try out Machinist and Astrologian. That seriously has to be my only major complaint currently.

Deleted
    3 Points for me

1) Visuals. Spells look so amazing, especially limitbreak 3 or higher level spells like deathflare or blizzard III and IV and whatnot. I love how weapons are so deeply implemented in spell animations (and there are like 4 or 5 different cast animations within a specc). The gear and graphic overall looks so good to me (one that has been playing only wow and dota2 over the last 6 years).

2) Franchise. I played FFVIII , FFX and FFX-2 sooo much in my youth, that the franchise just caught me. The storytelling, music and sheer limitless fantasy (at times so extremely wierd that you can just call it "typical ff style) + reccuring characters like the beloved primals and for me even morbols make me really feel at home in a very detailed and large fantasy world.

3) No direct addon support. Generally, FFXIV is easier than wow, but since its so stupid to use addons it really creates a kind of gaming experience i like. I played wow without dbm for as long as I could, but for some things and tasks its basically required (I remember atramedes gong use before nerf). I also like the idea of no damage meter, but its a bit frustrating to not even see your own damage. Makes it hard to test, but since I play AST anyways its fine. Parsers are just waaay too painful to use imo

However, I fear that the few Bosses FFXIV has is not enough, no matter how hard they may be (in Alexandes Midas Savage as the current hardest content)

Uhh.... You can just through on your combat set, change to a combat class/job.. kill mobs and get their pelts.. Done.
    Which defeats the purpose of what I said entirely.

I wish there was an MMO were the two were separated. Of course again crafters would have the ability to fight lowly monsters out in the world instead of just picking away at some predefined node. The only way to get gear would be from said crafters instead of from bosses. Bosses would instead drop high tier mats and that's how combat classes would make money.

Of course this would never work as the majority cant stand playing something that isn't combat based. I'd love it tho personally as it would really feel like some virtual world instead of the way MMOs are now... endgame crap.

I miss being an Alchemist in RO.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-03-15 at 05:22 PM.

What I dont like
    - 2.5s global. The GCD has you waiting ages some times. But you never get hit by AoE abilities. So it has its ups and downs.
    - Instanced world (PS3/4 limitations ya know, but still I play on a pc)
    - No global default chat. I am almost level 20 and I still don't have a guild because no one replys to my yells.
    As you get higher in level you get more abilities off GCD, so you have more to do during that 2.5s. It does still feel long though.

I thought I read they were doing away with this when they dropped PS3 support but were not ready to do that yet. Will be nice if/when they do.

Don't yell for a guild? It's been a while since I have logged in, and I had a guild waiting for me anyway, but I thought you could browse guilds and send a message directly to the officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    As you get higher in level you get more abilities off GCD, so you have more to do during that 2.5s. It does still feel long though.

I thought I read they were doing away with this when they dropped PS3 support but were not ready to do that yet. Will be nice if/when they do.

Don't yell for a guild? It's been a while since I have logged in, and I had a guild waiting for me anyway, but I thought you could browse guilds and send a message directly to the officers.
    If you can, its not something the game has done in a tutorial. I am just used to going in /1 or /2 and typing looking for guild - what type of guild I want here- then whispering people who have the guilds.

If you can, its not something the game has done in a tutorial. I am just used to going in /1 or /2 and typing looking for guild - what type of guild I want here- then whispering people who have the guilds.
    The thing is, guilds work quite a bit differently in FFXIV. There are Free Companies and then Linkshells. Some people do not even actually raid with their FCy and instead have a LS that is dedicated for raiding, one dedicated to farming, one for social....so on and so forth. For LSs, I beleive they can set what type of LS it is, so instead of just spamming chat, you can browse the different LSs and FCs and sort by what type you are looking for then message them. In order to actually join one, it is not as easy as /invite <playername> either. They have to be in the same location as you, unless you message through the finder, at which point they can just invite you from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    As you get higher in level you get more abilities off GCD, so you have more to do during that 2.5s.
    Yeah it can get quite hectic depending on the class you're playing trying to fit in 3 skills in 2.5 seconds. If that's still not enough you have the monk and the ninja who's at 2 seconds without "haste" right?

Deleted
    its a very good game, but if you hate anime then you will hate this. I don't play it anymore because i couldn't get my friends to transfer over, may aswell play single player games :P

its only downside is a huge amount of grinding, mostly due to crafting being very complex and pricey, but leveling up is slow too.
    And i don't like the slow combat as much, The movements are not as fluid either, can't kite or anything really

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoBoom View Post
    its a very good game, but if you hate anime then you will hate this. I don't play it anymore because i couldn't get my friends to transfer over, may aswell play single player games :P

its only downside is a huge amount of grinding, mostly due to crafting being very complex and pricey, but leveling up is slow too.
    And i don't like the slow combat as much, The movements are not as fluid either, can't kite or anything really
    Because it has a cat race makes it automatically anime? And the art style is far from anime it's a realism approach. If you were referring to these 2 that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Because it has a cat race makes it automatically anime? And the art style is far from anime it's a realism approach.
    Cute cats and loli's = eastern styled theme. people who don't watch anime cant tell the difference between spiderman comic and manga, and this guy hates manga for some reason.

Cute cats and loli's = eastern styled theme. people who don't watch anime cant tell the difference between spiderman comic and manga, and this guy hates manga for some reason.
    Judging it off 2 races you don't have to play is completely moronic. The other 4 don't fit that theme. That's like me saying I don't want to play wow because Gnomes and Goblins or Neverwinter because it has Elves. Solution - I don't play those races. Also on the slow combat thing, go watch a video of 1.0 I guarantee you will chuckle
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-03-17 at 02:04 PM.

Deleted
    Judging it off 2 races you don't have to play is completely moronic. The other 4 don't fit that theme. That's like me saying I don't want to play wow because Gnomes and Goblins or Neverwinter because it has Elves. Solution - I don't play those races. Also on the slow combat thing, go watch a video of 1.0 I guarantee you will chuckle
    this is stupid, Squareenix is a Japanese RPG gaming company, all of their final fantasy series have been JRPG no matter which way you slice it,

this is stupid, Squareenix is a Japanese RPG gaming company, all of their final fantasy series have been JRPG no matter which way you slice it,
    I'm not debating that fact though. The game itself has 2 Japanese anime looking races that's about it being Lala and Miqo of course. It's graphics engine was built for a realism approach not an anime approach. All I'm saying is not playing a game because you don't like 2 races you don't have to play is very silly if the game happens to be good or decent. Also yes they are JRPGS but not all of the series has followed an anime style.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-03-17 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV is a nice game. It seems to have several million players, so they must be doing something right. Their websites are ridiculously obnoxious to navigate and the game isn't fully open world, and those things make me not want to play, personally. I probably would be playing if not for those two things, as the other aspects of the game are very well designed.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    FFXIV is a nice game. It seems to have several million players, so they must be doing something right. Their websites are ridiculously obnoxious to navigate and the game isn't fully open world, and those things make me not want to play, personally. I probably would be playing if not for those two things, as the other aspects of the game are very well designed.
    Oh god I agree there. Navigating the Lodestone and websites for the first time I was like "WHERE AM I GOING?" . The 5 million accounts thing is a gimmick though like GW2 did with it's 7 million. Doesn't necessarily mean 5 million active players.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-03-17 at 02:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god I agree there. Navigating the Lodestone and websites for the first time I was like "WHERE AM I GOING?" . The 5 million accounts thing is a gimmick though like GW2 did with it's 7 million. Doesn't necessarily mean 5 million active players.
    Yeah I understand about the 5 million accounts. I still wouldn't be surprised if worldwide there were several million active players. Several typically implies around three, not five. It's just my guesstimation, but with a wildly popular franchise like FF, it's completely possible.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-03-17 at 03:43 PM.

Small people races exist in western gaming too. The same goes for cat races.

The type of graphics FF14 uses is a stylized art style that is very common in eastern games. Japanese doesn't equal anime. Nor does a game being made in Japan equal it being made with Japanese tendencies. The world itself borrows a lot from classic western fantasy with some eastern influence. Its really a nice mix of the two. The same could be said for a lot of the gameplay systems.

This one is not a JRPG, no matter how you slice it. It is a tab target mmo with hotbar attacks with Final Fantasy flavor throughout.