Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

never watched Anime, how to start?

I'm at that point when there seems to be nothing good going on... Walking Dead, Suits, TBBT releasing 1 episode at a time is sooo slow for me, Game of thrones even worse, 1 at a time and only 10 episodes.
    Which leads me thinking maybe I should broaden my watch list, Anime seems like a wild untamed animal to me, I'm kinda curious, want to start, yet at the same time I do not want to wake up on the wrong foot (this saying sounds weird in English, do you even have something like that?)
    I'd like to start watching the best, which one do I start with?

Deleted
    Retreat to the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Retreat to the basement.
    You little shit, I actually googled it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    You little shit, I actually googled it!
    you made me blow water out of my nose, hilarious!

You might want to give us more details.

Anime is a hugely broad gategory with lots of sub genres and stuff.

Slice of Life, space western, medieval fantasy, fighting, magic girl, mech (giant robots), zombies, vampires, high school, ninjas, samurai, transhumanism, cyberpunk, steampunk, time travel.

or some mix of the above.

How much violence, blood and gore are you willing to sit through? do you mind nudity? Is a 19 year old girl walking down a hallway naked ripping peoples head off with her invisible arms something you like or don't like.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

7+ Year Old Account
    The first Anime series I watched was Rurouni Kenshin. It's a good series to start with - it moves at a good pace, is very entertaining and not overly complicated with super powers and special abilities.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post

Slice of Life, space western, medieval fantasy, fighting, magic girl, mech (giant robots), zombies, vampires, high school, ninjas, samurai, transhumanism, cyberpunk, steampunk, time travel.

How much violence, blood and gore are you willing to sit through? do you mind nudity? Is a 19 year old girl walking down a hallway naked ripping peoples head off with her invisible arms something you like or don't like.
    Where do I find this!? hahaha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Start with smaller series that don't have too many episodes.
    Hmm, I say, try Death Parade
    Death Parade is a terrible place to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only watch top rated anime. Avoid anything school if posible (exeption to that is assasination classroom).

Some of the must watch type of them:
    Jojo bizzare adventure (3 parts in total-- 4th is coming in april)
    Steins gate
    Parasyte
    One punch man
    Kill La kill
    Dead note
    ...etc

I listed mostly those that are more storytelling and not so much fan service (like Fairly tail for example).

But if you wana watch something that is gona last you for long time.... detective connan...only ....to much episodes.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post

well medieval and time travel sounds awesome! nudity - doesn't matter, not sure for the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It has 64 episodes but it's the absolute creme de la creme of anime. So if you're into binge watching expect to finish this quick. It's a really good story! Coincidentally I found a list on 9Gag today which gives some decent recommendations. http://9gag.com/gag/aX94jP9?ref=fbp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Hmm Kill la Kill would be nice, it's short and outrageous (And Satsuki is so fucking badass)
    I guess Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood would be a solid idea too
    I also love Fate/Zero
    I can also vouch for kill la kill. The drawing and animation is quite crappy most of the time, but the humor, action and story make up more than enough for it. Quite good ^^

well you can watch daredevil on netflix and jessica jones, but for anime try fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, attack on titans, parasite the maxim, seven deadly sins, naruto and naruto shipoden, those should keep you busy for a bit, oh and sword art online was good, didnt care too much for sword art online 2 much. highschool of the dead for some fan service.
    Last edited by mizeri; 2016-03-15 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Nobody said Inuyasha, I'm disappointed in you all...
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    well medieval and time travel sounds awesome! nudity - doesn't matter, not sure for the rest.
    Actually you could just check the list that Shuji V2 linked, it's a really nice listing for beginners.

For time travel you could check out Steins;Gate and for medieval Fate/Zero + Fate/Unlimited Blade Works. In general for beginners I would probably recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, One Punch Man or Death Note.

Watching something like Kill la Kill right off the bat would probably give you some strange ideas... It really is kind of unique.
    Last edited by mmoc4d2020beea; 2016-03-15 at 08:57 PM.

you gotta start with a good one before you can watch all the crap.

try full metal alchemist, i hate most anime but this one is worth anyones time.

you should watch la blue girl

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm at that point when there seems to be nothing good going on... Walking Dead, Suits, TBBT releasing 1 episode at a time is sooo slow for me, Game of thrones even worse, 1 at a time and only 10 episodes.
    Which leads me thinking maybe I should broaden my watch list, Anime seems like a wild untamed animal to me, I'm kinda curious, want to start, yet at the same time I do not want to wake up on the wrong foot (this saying sounds weird in English, do you even have something like that?)
    I'd like to start watching the best, which one do I start with?
    I think the first step is figuring out what kind of show you think would be interesting. What are you interested in for genres? Sci Fi/Fantasy/Comedy/Horror/etc. People could recommend a hundred different shows, but without knowing what you like, that would be like asking what would be a good song to listen to.

IDK what a good place to start would be...

Well, assuming that you like MMOs since you are on MMO-Champion, maybe Log Horizon. It is an Anime about people who basically get stuck in an MMO world as their character, and have to try to figure out how to go on living in that world. It has a lot of easy to understand MMO dialogue, some combat/action but not constant, and some politics as they have to try to basically form their own government.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica is nice if you're in the mood for something light hearted

...But in all seriousness, listen to the people who recommend FMA:Brotherhood and One Punch Man (Because they're both very good 'Starting point' anime), and i'd personally add Tengan Tappa Gurren Lagann to the list because it's a ride and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It has 64 episodes but it's the absolute creme de la creme of anime. So if you're into binge watching expect to finish this quick. It's a really good story! Coincidentally I found a list on 9Gag today which gives some decent recommendations. http://9gag.com/gag/aX94jP9?ref=fbp
    That anime is a bit weird. Its incredibly fast paced at the start and feels like its missing things. Its one of those things that's awesome, but its really recommended that you watch some of the first one so you know whats going on.

My list to maybe try:
    YuYu Hakusho - Supernatural / action. Lots of fighting.
    Rurouni kenshin - Time of the samurai. Its about a samurai who fought in a war swearing off killing. Thought its not easy to hold onto that promise.

If you move into watching anything subbed
    Tonari no Seki-kun - Comedy. Kid does lots of weird things while he is in class, getting his neighbor in trouble for them at times. Short 7minute long episodes.
    shingeki no bahamut - Action. Very nice anime. Only 13 real episodes in it, so its short and not to full of fluff.

American style:
    By american style, i mean its artwork and tone is very similar to what you would find in an anime, which is stuff from japan.
    Avatar the last air bender: This show is awesome. Pretty much indistinguishable to anime imo. Unless you knew ahead of time that it was from America and not Japan, probably couldn't tell the difference.

Now, there is one thing all of these share in common, and all anime in general. Avoid any live action movies at all costs!!! They usually suck, Hard, and do not do the anime justice. A few do work well. If you want to consider watching the live action movies, look up reviews heavily.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2016-03-15 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?