Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrick View Post
    I am one of those that Love the entire WORLD of Warcraft, so Travling (Walking, Running, Riding, Flying) and getting to see the world feels so great.
    Then don't use the portals. It's that simple.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Hallo World of Warcraft Brothers.

I wish that you hear me out befour you answer or Enrage...

This is my Question - What do you think about Removing all of the static portals around in the world?
    (to place static portals around destroys Immerson and is just Poor gameplay design)

Solution: we Could have at least Less Static portals "maybe just those in the Portal room underneth Dalaran.

First Idea ----->But in the case abow I would not use Static portals, I would have 2 or 3 NPC mages around, that we as players can go and talk to and ask them if they can make 1 of those 5 portals that takes us around azeroth, the Mage would then move over to the Portal Crystal "something to help the mage charge with enegy for the Portal to open, and then he would cast the spell and keep canneling for 3 minuts "during this time other players would be able to take that portal" but after this the portal would close and the mage would go back to its studies.

Second Idea ---> we could use Flight paths or Zeppelin or even Ships (Please let the Zeppeling and Ship travel a little bit more in the world, and not just Teleport after a short distance) to travel in the world, yes this takes time but Its and Adventure game, and Traveling is a part of the adventure, these hubs would give players reason to inteact with each other and the world.

Third Idea ----> We also have the Player MAGE, which people could ask for portals, this would be ok, since it give players reason to talk and interact

I am one of those that Love the entire WORLD of Warcraft, so Travling (Walking, Running, Riding, Flying) and getting to see the world feels so great.

Thanks for your time!
    NOT paying for a game where half of the play time is travelling between destinations. Sorry, aint happenin'. Next?

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    To OP: NO. /10char

Get rid of them and let Mages be portal jockeys again! Maybe players will actually talk to each other haha..

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    Do you even read, bro?
    So you're lamenting the fact that the world doesn't have players in it, not the mode of travel. You're trying to blame portals and teleporting for something that's caused by lack of content. There's no reason to be out in the world, otherwise players would be there regardless of HOW they got there.

Immersion...the newest word used by gamers to try and get their way with developers.

The portals we have currently are enough, no need for more, no need for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Son, back in my day we had to walk to the dungeon, uphill both ways in a lag infested PVP zone. There was nothing fun about it then, and there is nothing fun about it now.

Hell I hearth across my garrison because fuck walking/flying. The more portals the better.
    I'm an Engineer on like 8 characters because of the Wormhole Generators, I also have the guild cloak that ports you to SW, Dalaran Ring, Brawler's Ring, etc etc etc. On my Shaman I use that Minor glyph that sends you to the Earthshrine when you use Astral Recall, I glyph One with Nature on my Druid, use Death Gate on my DKs and make ready use of that training grounds port on my Monk. Cutting time off travel is a great thing.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

i'm hearing this is a buff mages thread? never buff mages, /thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    We need more portals not less
    This, I'd love to have a portal from places like Stormwind throne room to the trade district, from the trade district to the dwarven district etc etc. While we are at it, auto flight paths for our mounts we own. for places that are too close for portals, like from the auction house to the bank.

Wasting time is not content and not immersive.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    What's immersion exactly ? Basically every game can be immersive, just turn off the lights the night and play ...

Portals are not a problem at the moment though they could have been dealt with way better than now.
    The worse thing is the instant lfg/lfr instant teleport literally what the hell happened in patch 3.2.
    This patch created lazy slugs addicted to time saving.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-03-15 at 08:13 PM.

One day world of warcraft will became just an ordinary arcade for smartphone with only left and right buttons! So no matter what is happening now, haha

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    We need more portals not less
    Why is that? and if so, Role a mage, or find a friend who is a mage :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ace1231337 View Post
    Honestly can this horse be beaten any further than it already is? I swear this horse is already probably been beaten so much the individual atoms that made it up are all broken apart.

OT: No. Static portals make the game less tedious at max level than it would be without them.
    I can see your point but with the World scaling system it would give use a huge point in traveling around the world... feeling part of a world not just a City from where you take a 1000 portals

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Son, back in my day we had to walk to the dungeon, uphill both ways in a lag infested PVP zone. There was nothing fun about it then, and there is nothing fun about it now.

Hell I hearth across my garrison because fuck walking/flying. The more portals the better.
    hey mate, that is the point with and MMO, to feel the world and maybe get ambushed while running to a dungeon.

You just sound lazy and you want to get in Easy mode each time you move

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Remove static portals, reserve flying mounts for old content, remove some quests but make each quest longer and more involved, remove LFR/LFD, etc etc
    YES YES YES YES YES!!!! QUETZL von president! I am with you on each of those points

Shouldn't crz increase the chance of meeting other players?
    Well yes. Random person that you never see again and doesn't matter if you say hey or helped them. You go zipping along and a minute later....they just aren't there anymore. Guess I could go be the creeper and make a character on their server with the creepy.. hey I was just playing with you in zone XYZ.. can i make you a friend/real friend ID you?

CRZ killed server community IMHO.

Hallo World of Warcraft Brothers.

I wish that you hear me out befour you answer or Enrage...

This is my Question - What do you think about Removing all of the static portals around in the world?
    (to place static portals around destroys Immerson and is just Poor gameplay design)

Solution: we Could have at least Less Static portals "maybe just those in the Portal room underneth Dalaran.

First Idea ----->But in the case abow I would not use Static portals, I would have 2 or 3 NPC mages around, that we as players can go and talk to and ask them if they can make 1 of those 5 portals that takes us around azeroth, the Mage would then move over to the Portal Crystal "something to help the mage charge with enegy for the Portal to open, and then he would cast the spell and keep canneling for 3 minuts "during this time other players would be able to take that portal" but after this the portal would close and the mage would go back to its studies.

Second Idea ---> we could use Flight paths or Zeppelin or even Ships (Please let the Zeppeling and Ship travel a little bit more in the world, and not just Teleport after a short distance) to travel in the world, yes this takes time but Its and Adventure game, and Traveling is a part of the adventure, these hubs would give players reason to inteact with each other and the world.

Third Idea ----> We also have the Player MAGE, which people could ask for portals, this would be ok, since it give players reason to talk and interact

Thanks for your time!
    You are trolling us, right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daren View Post
    I actually like these suggestions. #1 lets all the portals still be there, but in a more immersive way, #2 should be a thing already, and #3 is already a thing so. Yeah, good ideas.
    its good to see more people think this, since Immersion is so important in World of warcraft, and since I have this game su much at heart, I want it to be Super immersive for the best of every player.

PS: I had a mate that was a "Game master" on a private server, they had some GM Island with 100 static portas... so its kinda strange that we have static portals in game, they should just be for "ALPHA or Game masters" then make something more immersive in LIVE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    If you're playing WoW for its immersion factor, you're doing it wrong.
    If you are playing wow for not its Immersion factors, you are doing it wrong!

"World" of Warcraft is an Immersive WORLD of the game "WARcraft" what you are saying is hillaious, since it mean you dont know what you are talking about...

Quite sad... but hey, its just your point of view

PS: WORLD OF WARCRAFT is pure Immersion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Olrox View Post
    Agreed. Whole-heartedly agreed with you here. I remember doing exactly this stuff in Vanilla, and indeed, it wasn't fun then, and it surely would be even farther away from fun now ('cuz I'm old now).

I think there are surely things to do to make the game "immersive" (I still despise that term in this context) and I think it should be done through flavor things, not silly things that make doing activities tedious.

I could see these "immersion" complaints if you didn't even have to kill a mob to skin it anymore, or if you could pick herbs from a menu and didn't have to go somewhere (same with all gathering) or that sort of thing. But portals are a very real thing in a magical world - if our world could have convenience travel like that, it would.
    Its is true that its a Magical world, but in most of the books and Texts ingame they are speaking of how hard it is to open a portal and to keep it open, so having like 6 Portals for each faction in dalaran and 5 portals in the basment of the city, which give us like 17 portals in the city would need a huge amont of magic (Energy) to keep open all the time, so The most thing I am asking for is just to give us some mages that can open these portals for us momentarly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    ^ Exactly this. ^

People need to stop trying to create scapegoats for core problems with the game at a fundamental level. Immersion will happen if the content of the game is actually good. For whatever reason, Blizzard can't seem to nail that feeling, and keep pushing repetitive boring chores instead of enjoyable gameplay loops.

Taking away portals isn't going to make the core gameplay any more enjoyable.
    Taking away flight isn't going to make the core gameplay any more enjoyable.
    Making people walk to dungeon entrances isn't going to make the core gameplay any more enjoyable.

If Blizzard wants the game to be more fun, they need to add and enhance the game, not take away from it.
    I Respect your point of you.

You are talking about "Enhance the game" and not take away,

Flying = takes alway all of the Ground Experiance and Envirements and takes away most of the content

Making people walk to dungeons = "Enhances" the world Feeling and to be a part of a great and huge world, now days No one know where Dungeons are.

Removing some of the portals = "Enhanecs" communication and Demand to talk to mages "players" and gives a boost to the Social envirement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    I don't see the point in this one. It still has the portals existing in a situation in which only 2-3 of like 6-7 destinations will be open at a time and if you want one of the others you have to wait a few minutes and then hope to outcompete other players who may want different portals, potentially resulting in you sitting there and waiting for more time. That's not giving players emersion with the world it making them wait to actually enter the world as they sit in the portal hub.

Additionally, I don't see how making everything a flight path would increase emersion either. Granted, it may be a personal thing but if I get on a long flight path i'm either going to be watching TV or making a meal (just from experience of that being what I've done on long flight paths since I started playing 11 years ago).

Removing portals entirely would also do more to discourage visiting old locations than encourage it, as less players would be likely to bother with that content. The majority of people still doing stuff in Cata content are farming heroic 25 mans for gold or for mounts. If you increase the time it takes to get to the Cata raid (DS would be a pain to get to for alliance without the malarian portal) then you make it less profitable than other activities in current content with the same time spent and decrease the reason for going there. A full round of Cata raids takes me about 1.5 hours, if that is now going to take 3+ hours then it's only worth it for the mounts, which are one time things.

While I do like doing the completionist stuff at least on one character as I play through the game, I doubt that all players are like that and I know that I'm only inclined to do that in a game as long as WoW once or twice.

For your first point, it is Exactly what I am pointing out, since having player gather would open up for people to speak and interact, or they would just trun aournd and get a flight path or a Friendly mate to make them a portal.

think of it like this "waiting for the buss" people stand there togeather
    (In game "live" when I take a zeppeling or ship, I always try to start to communicate with people, since that is what an MMO is, comminicate and have fun with other people)

IF you as me, I think that some of the people are kinda Lazy and want everything right "NOW" and cant wait or have some extra minuts spent to wait for something.

Btw: sitting on a flight path, can also give you time to talk in guild chat or even hook up with old friend in your Friend list, "if you choose to go and make food or watch TV" that is not our problem.

but the point is that the Destination is important but also the Journey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    And then watch the entirety of the casual playerbase quit and wow drop to 1-2m subs quickly, lol.

YAY LETS DO STUFF THAT'LL PISS OFF ALL OF OUR CASUAL PLAYERBASE AKA ABOUT 90% OF IT!!!!!!!! SMART BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Vynestra.

I would be sad if some one would leave, but all these number you are saing are just random and has no facts in them, where do you get these statistics? so from your point of view, there is just 1-2 million fanatic world of warcraft games?

Trust me, the Casuals would stay, since as of now may of my friend are casuals, and they would all stay if the Portals got reduced.

IN Wod flying got removed "so many got Pissed of" (not) and the game got a huge Immerion factor and all the people I know loved blizzard decicion.

I think we should stop to make a game for Casuals and just focusing on making a Good and Enjoyable game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Garrison hearth is the only real way out of the garrison mine if I decide to go in there. I'm sure not walking back out, speed buffs or no.
    This is just pure Lazyness or you are "burned out" because you have done it way to many times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    WoW has bigger issues with immersion than portals.

Like the entire fucking story.
    What do you mean by that? has something happen to the story that you did not like?

BTW: for the story, having all those Portals open at once "static even" is way out of the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    Even EQ had the spires for teleportation. It wasn't constant access to another location, but more like an invisible boat (go to "docks" aka the spires, wait for transport time, arrive at destination). I guess this would be more like the Zepp/airship thing.

But we're talking about WoW, and it's an old game, with literally millions of players who were raised to play WoW with the portals we've got now (with minor changes as additional expansions came out). This would not be a welcome change, and in fact I've played my alts a great deal more in the last few weeks because of the availability of the portals we have now. While my main has items that will allow me to teleport somewhere within nearly every expansion without the use of a Mage, my alts do not. Much slowed travel would simply cause me not to bother playing the alts, which leads to me spending less time in the game.

If you don't like them, then don't use them. If you're playing with people who don't want to wait for you to arrive at your final destination while you admire the scenery and experience the distance traveled without the use of pure magic, and you're hoping that doing this leaves them with no choice but to travel the way you prefer to, then you're the problem, not the portals.
    I see your point.

These Ideas are not because I want everyone to do as I do, but the meaning of this is that it ruins the immersion of the game, since to the Lore, its hard to keep open a portal for a long time.

Trust me, I am a man of my word, so I always travel around with other stuff then portals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    So... walking and wasting time is very good for imersion? How did forcing us into ground mounts work for your immersion in WoD? Cause i only felt a big waste of time with no purpose.

To create imersion you simply need to create immersive things out in the world. You don't add by subtracting.
    "To create imersion you simply need to create immersive things out in the world." This is very true.

since you mean that walking is wasting time, then we have nothing more to talk about since we think way to far from each others.

To your question: I LOVED to only use GROUND MOUNTS in WOD!!! I think it was one of the best things that happen in WOD and to the game, I felt so much immersion, more then i have felt for a long time ^^

PS: to me walking aournd is not wasting time, it give us the possability to meet people and see things we didn`t notice befour.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I support it. Too many quality of life changes are bad for the game overall.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

I think it would be fine if the world was a bit more accessible. The problem blizz sorta fell back on portals later on, and I think the game suffered for it. If we axed them, I would want a proper boat path to Pandaria instead of a portal in the main city.
    Slightly off topic but there is absolutely no reason for the portal to draenor(which is in a seperate time period) to connect to our outlands portal. Those things shouldn't talk to each other. And now we have portals to outlands in our cities.

They should have left the dark portal alone, and given us a portal of sorts in the caverns of time for draenor. So its all a little messed up. I really hope we can travel without a portal to the broken isles. The world does feel a bit smaller when we can cross the planet or galaxies and time in moments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FertsBlert View Post
    NPC portal mages would be a good idea in all capitals, on my server during Vanilla\TBC there was a Warlock who had setup a group of Alt Warlocks at many of the most consistently needed places and he + a couple helpers would summon you to those locations for a reasonable fee.
    Wrinkle was his name and the guild was the Proudmoore Summon Team dunno if an NPC version of this would be possible but that would be a lovely thing.....actually thinking about it maybe I should see about setting that up on my current server, might be fun.
    I just love this!!! that Exactly what I am talking about, giving the players the possability to interact and find cool and new ways to trave around.
    I also rememer in vanilla there was way more Business behind mages "porta selling" now amost no one asks for it.

I really enjoy reading this, and I love these kind of imersion.

- - - Updated - - -

I think immersion and the feeling of being part of a world, is very subjective.

I'm not going to pretend to know a solution to our current predicament but I can tell you how I experienced the changes:

In WoW, I love the fact that I had to travel to a point of interest, whether this was a dungeon or a town, mattered not. The travel time wasn't negligible and there was a lot to see and experience during the journey, world PvP and the thrill of being attacked was one of my favourites.

Flying mounts ruined it for me, personally; everything became too easily accessible without the slightest risk. Chances of meeting other players (friend or foe) were also reduced to being slim at best. The world stopped living and so did my immersion.

FFXIV suffered from the same thing but worse because the world isn't a dangerous place to begin with and you can literally teleport everywhere. Most players camp, semi-afk in a town (which might as well be a textureless lobby) until their party finder message pops up. There is no need, whatsoever, to interact with the world. Invisible walls and poor animations had their toll as well.

I understand that traveling might be tedious without flying mounts or portals in a world as big as WoW's. But I'd rather deal with this slight tedium if it meant playing in a living, 'effervescent' world.
    Amazing, you just wrote my ideas better then me! I agree with you 100%, this is Exactly what I mean, the world need to feel alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Do what they do in GW2 where you can port anywhere from anywhere so long as you have unlocked the portal waypoint.. In other words a select able destination hearthstone..

OMG.... noooooooooooooooo :O

less teleporting and more "walking running, and interacting with the world" if this happen to World of Warcraft... it would destry the entire game.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just increase ground mounted traveling speed so long you're on roads and/or out of combat.
    Interesting tought!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    I wouldn't mind the first idea if it was implemented for new portals. For instance let's say that the Keeper's of Time would have a new NPC in all home cities that would open up a temporary portal to the Caverns of Time (into the main chamber) after performing a questline. Cenarion Expedition would have something similar for Coilfang Reservoir. Avengers of Hyjal would have a portal quest to get to Firelands.

It would be very similar to the necklace that lets you teleport to the Black Temple after finishing the attunement quests. But without being an inventory item and without the annoying 30 second cooldown before you can even use it.

I wouldn't like anything that would make travel more time consuming just for the sake of immersion.
    I understand your point an in some parts I agree.

"Just for the sake of Immersion", Immersion is everything, since we are playing and Adventure based game with a magical world. In BC and Vanilla I used 100 of Hours just in the world.

In WOD, everyone just portal around.... In warspear.... we even have a new portal to the Base in TAaaanaan.... Jesus crist... its just lazy game desing for LAZY GAMERS....

No. This game would be unbearable without them. The world is fucking huge. Having to spend an hour to do a 5-10 minute task will kill desire to do anything in this game.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.