Thread: Tyranny Game

10+ Year Old Account

Tyranny Game

Obsidian Entertainment's next RPG was just announced at GDC a few hours ago, seems to be an isometric game in style similar to Pillars Of Eternity.

The concept is basically that it takes place in a fantasy world, where the war between Good and Evil has already been won by Evil. The player character is going to be a henchman of the evil overlord, assigned to the newly conquered territories to mete out the justice of the regime however they see fit.

Definitely very intrigued by the concept of an rpg where you play as a character that isn't the good guy, at least not from the outset, especially from a developer like Obsidian.

Announcement trailer and some screenshots:
    http://www.tyrannygame.com/

I see they're sticking with the prerendered background isometric RPG's . Can't say I'm saddened about that since the screenshots do look pretty, even better than Pillars.

Deleted
    I hope it's not backed just by kickstarter. Kickstarter-only stuff is always crap.

Thanks for posting Zealo. I am very intrigued by this as well. Any idea of a timeline yet? As the screenshots at least look past the concept only stage and actually seem to show some game play in different areas though the trailer did not apart from a few flashes at the end (hopefully they will do something better along the line). It also looks like Paradox are in on the action as well again like they were for Pillars Of Eternity.

Oh just found this article which says it's meant to be a 2016 release date but I do not know how accurate the information actually is.

You didn't like Pillars Window? One of the best games I have played in the last few years. I really enjoyed Divinity too.
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2016-03-16 at 11:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    I hope it's not backed just by kickstarter. Kickstarter-only stuff is always crap.
    Its being funded through a partnership with Paradox Interactive, so no kickstarter this time.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ounced.913905/

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't seem much to go on yet. I'm not sure being initially evil is such an interesting twist really. You either have no development or become good, which seems quite cliché. Maybe they'll have had an interesting idea though.

That's a sweeping generalization that's completely false btw.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    That's a sweeping generalization that's completely false btw.
    Give one example.

Give one example.
    Grim Dawn, FTL, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Convoy, Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect, Dreamworld Chapters, to name a few.

As for this, it looks great, and I'm glad they stuck with the isometric and 2D backdrops.

Deleted
    Paradox provide one of the best value for money propositions in every game they ever produce and Obsidian are superb RPG makers.

I'm hyped. Really looking forward to this one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Grim Dawn, FTL, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Convoy, Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect, Dreamworld Chapters, to name a few.

As for this, it looks great, and I'm glad they stuck with the isometric and 2D backdrops.
    All crap. All. I can't say anything about Grim Dawn as I never played it, and I'm pretty sure Larian can afford to use their own funds in addition to kickstarter, that's why Original Sin is rather good even if terribly boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    All crap. All. I can't say anything about Grim Dawn as I never played it, and I'm pretty sure Larian can afford to use their own funds in addition to kickstarter, that's why Original Sin is rather good even if terribly boring.
    The success of Pillars of Eternity is undeniable. It's not my type of RPG but it's very successfull. Same with Divinity ORiginal Sin. So stop being stubborn.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

We get it, you just don't like KS and won't touch anything that uses it. That's OK. I'm sure you probably haven't played most of the games I listed, and here are a few others that you probably haven't played: Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong, Wasteland 2, Banner Saga. As for Larian, they went to KS because their publisher wouldn't let them do a game with turn-based combat. Then they end up releasing a game with some of the best turn-based combat ever.

I'm hoping this game has a really robust morality system, and allows for some meaningful evil character development. Well crafted evil player characters are far and few between in RPGs.

Your personal opinion is irrelevant. All of the games mentioned above were at least mildly successful both critically and financially, with some being extremely successful . I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't mean he/she should spout it like an absolute truth everywhere they go. It never leads to anything other than wasting people's time. Also : Shadowrun returns series, Banner Saga,Shovel Knight, Xenonauts, Wasteland 2, Hand of Fate, Darkest Dungeon and probably others. I personally don't like a few of them ,but that doesn't mean they are crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how hard I try, every time I see the title my mind screams Tranny.

The gameplay is here:

enjoy looks really great

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    The gameplay is here:

enjoy looks really great
    Age of Empires 3?

Ew. Don't like the gameplay. Please more combat systems like Shadowrun series - so much better for combat. I understand that the combat isn't as seamless switching from real-time movement to turn-based combat but it's a concession that vastly improves the depth of the gameplay in my opinion and makes playing on higher difficulties more enjoyable rather than tedious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, and waiting for Tides of Numenera now. This looks very interesting, especially the promised ability to play an actually evil character, not just a guy that likes to punch people for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.