Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    100m registered accounts

some questions
    1) does it include the9/netease? are accounts that were carried over counted once or twice?
    2) how are banned accounts counted, both goldseller cutouts and farmbots (extreme exploitation and automation/hack bans)? how many of these have there been?
    3) what is average # of accounts per bnet account, and per payment method (for folks with multiple bnet accounts)?
    4) how many are trial accounts?

with this data the 100m might begin to shape up into something that makes sense.
    It's simpler.

120 million registered accounts in 10 years (let's say it's 10) = 12 million registered accounts per year on average just isn't big. It just isn't.

LoL has 50+ mil unique players *active per month*. 12 mil *registered per year* is just nothing compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    LOOK AT WHAT THE ARE DOING IN LEGION.

It is literally a as big an undertaking as the Cata overhaul was Except this includes concepts and many features and an unfathomable amount of class trees and tuning.

Yeah its a fucking ton and it's pretty goddamn transparent what they are working on.

Oh and there is the other clear argument where expecting ONE YEAR EXPANSION is bullshit from the start because of a how expansions play out in content cycles.

Expansion launches with a known 1 Month Delay on Highmaul
    Highmaul Launches and it's current for 1 month
    Blackrock Foundry Launches and is current for5-6 months.

At this point you are at 7-8 months. If you think the Final raid patch is going to be 4 months from launch to 7.0 prepatch well. Welcome to you very first WoW expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Avoided?

ICC was a year. Ulduar got skullfucked by ToC which was an abortion in 4 months. The standard raid tier time for the past decade is at the least 6 months.

Proper devlopment going into the FIRST tier. Keep in mind Ulduar was being worked on during Beta. AND pushing back Ulduar development and a 3 Tier expansion would of been favorable VS Shitty one room raid that could of just stayed as the 5 man which used all the assets and launched ulduar and gave it a full 6-8 months. Forgot to say also fix the fucking copy and Paste Raid of naxx and actually make a goddamn new fucking Raid starring KT and not directly rehash shit.

Firelands sure would of been fun if it would of been a copy/pasted MC AYE?
    No, by avoided I mean all of this right now was avoided. As in, threads like this hardly appeared during that drought because there was stuff to do, it was hardly a drought at all. Non raiders and raiders all had stuff to do. Wanted good gear as a non raider? Farm dungeons for badges/valor. Weekly quest made everyone go to old raids for a bunch of valor. Raiders wanted good gear? Finish the previous tier (took a while) then start the new one.

There was plenty for people to do during the wrath "drought". SOO and WoD are the two where nobody has anything to really do. I had plenty to due during cata because I was a hunter and molten front was so fucking fun, but that's subjective so it doesn't really count towards anything factual about Cata's drought.

It is really easy but seemingly quite hard for some people to understand in this thread....

I used to be a player with all the time in the world right? I played every waking hour I had apart from work and commuting.
    I could keep up this playstyle from Vanilla until the end of WOTLK and a tad in Cata until Firelands.
    Look at what I just wrote.... I could play every waking hour I had.... I could do this for about 7/8 years. After that I could not. I could not entertain myself anymore with the content Blizzard provided for me. WoD was the absolute worst. I mean in MoP you had the isle's atleast and you could farm materials if you wanted (for good reason).

Let me tell you what I like doing and always did:
    1. dungeoneering (for mats, gear, helping other guildies/players out, attunements, profession recipees) - meanwhile dungeons were mostly atleast FUN or pretty "hard" - not the snoozefests they became after the Catanerf to dungeons... which only got worse in MoP and even more worse in WoD.

2. professions - making gear is great - not anymore. Major daily/weekly cooldowns suck - if I had the time to put into a piece of gear, allow me to spend my time on it, not gate me

3. gathering I love - but now gathering is pointless, everything is handed to you on a silver platter

4. raiding is great! - LFR not so much but I don't need to do LFR, so it is good - I still enjoy this

5. getting valor is something I like doing. I like to go to dungeons (that are atleast fun but pref difficult) and get atleast something out of it, while making friends in that dungeon. Friends? Now? Who the hell speaks? Getting valor was removed from the game and made a return. But to buy what? Too little too late. Sure "upgrade" your gear. Right... and then I have to go into those pathetic dungeons of which there are a minimum amount of.

6. collecting transmog I like - I have completed this

Now I'll tell you what I don't care for:
    1. pet battles/collecting pets
    2. Brawlers guild
    3. PvP
    4. leveling alts (I am a one character guy basically)
    5. collecting mounts - I have the mounts I want to collect apart from Invincible. I am not about to uphold a sub because I want 1 mount that doesn't drop. Besides maybe I won't use it, because I always use the same fucking mount(s).
    6. fishing - never want to do it
    7. archeology - never want to do it
    8. treasure hunting (wtf why would I want to do that? for a meager amount of gold or a toy I will never use?)
    9. apexis stuff... seriously? Who would do this?

So world of warcraft could sustain me before with my 6 points of content that I require. Even though slowly they inserted more. Now I have no content to sustain me. The only thing that I am able to do with my time is raid. The rest is made absolete or unfun.

I haven't gotten (this expansion) Mythic kills under my belt. I don't see the point anymore to get those done as I did before. I just don't care. Because for me it is all connected. If there isn't any content outside of raids to do aswell...... I don't care to do "just the raids". I just don't care.

meanwhile: the community is no longer the community that I loved. All my friends left WoW - all my former guild buddies have quit. I made new buddies but yeah they could keep me subbed for only so long... WoW doesn't deserve my sub anymore. So yeah I quit around september... I'll be back for Legion but that will be the last WoW will see me if it fails.

I just don't get how Blizzard turned around and went from: YEAH we can keep you entertained for every waking hour of your life!! - to - YEAH if you don't have anything to do, just unsub until there is new content - that is fine!

I don't get this attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It's simpler.

120 million registered accounts in 10 years (let's say it's 10) = 12 million registered accounts per year on average just isn't big. It just isn't.

LoL has 50+ mil unique players *active per month*. 12 mil *registered per year* is just nothing compared to that.
    actually china/no china is a key question. were accounts from the9 counted again when used at netease?

banned accounts helps show any number of details
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You are the "glass is half empty" kinda guy, right? They didn't lose millions of subs. They made a game expecting to be successful after the beta feedback but "... figured that... if any game would ever pass the 10 million subscriber mark, it would be in ... many generations of MMOs, many different evolutions of the genre.

http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/...ards-Rob-Pardo

So really everything was a bonus and unexpected. Which has just been reinforced because no...other...MMO...has ever come REMOTELY close to the success of WoW. I mean, if it is so easy to make a MMO, based on the feedback that guys on forums give..why are we not seeing them. After all.....companies just need to listen to all the generous free advice on MMO champion, right? And you have your WoW killer....
    Not to mention all the big name DEVS with the franchises they used Bombed hard as fuck in the face of WoW.

Like how do you fuck up a star wars MMO. or an Elder Scrolls MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Now I'll tell you what I don't care for:
    1. pet battles/collecting pets
    2. Brawlers guild
    3. PvP
    4. leveling alts (I am a one character guy basically)
    5. collecting mounts - I have the mounts I want to collect apart from Invincible. I am not about to uphold a sub because I want 1 mount that doesn't drop. Besides maybe I won't use it, because I always use the same fucking mount(s).
    6. fishing - never want to do it
    7. archeology - never want to do it
    8. treasure hunting (wtf why would I want to do that? for a meager amount of gold or a toy I will never use?)
    9. apexis stuff... seriously? Who would do this?

I see you didn't list Selfie Cam as something you don't like. I bet you forgot to put it on the Like list?

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention all the big name DEVS with the franchises they used Bombed hard as fuck in the face of WoW.

Like how do you fuck up a star wars MMO. or an Elder Scrolls MMO.
    pretty easy. tune it for 'accessible.'
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

actually china/no china is a key question. were accounts from the9 counted again when used at netease?

banned accounts helps show any number of details
    Well, yes, that - and the mere fact that the word is "registered" - reduces the number by another factor of 2-3, but it is small even without that. It was big 8 years ago, became pretty tame soon after, and now it just isn't impressive. They lost 90% of the edge they used to have.

It's simpler.

Lets comparing the Leading MMO to the Leading Moba Esports game that can be played at your leaisure.

Why did you just compare the 2. Fuck Lets Compare Grand Theft auto to Parappa the Rapper

That's not true at all.

Lets comparing the Leading MMO to a Moba Esports game that can be played at your leaisure.

Why did you just compare the 2. Fuck Lets Compare Grand Theft auto to FIFA. kgo
    How the hell do you think MOBAs occurred? It is just another genre. Blizzard could have made WoW more popular than MOBAs are now. They had a huge head start, they managed to lose it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    ROFLMAO

That's Jaylock level.

We heard this BS about WoD. Just saying.

On topic: year-long draughts are, in my opinion, one of two-three things that killed the game. Whoever worked on WoW should feel ashamed of these draughts to the end of his professional life. No exaggeration.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not. A fraction of the subs are like that (come and go), most don't, they just drop out.

Saying "it's cyclical" is like pointing to a redhead girl and say that all girls are redheads.
    I have to disagree. the content in WoD was high quality stuff whether you liked it or not. There were many issues with WoD but content Quality was not one of them.

Well, yes, that - and the mere fact that the word is "registered" - reduces the number by another factor of 2-3, but it is small even without that. It was big 8 years ago, became pretty tame soon after, and now it just isn't impressive. They lost 90% of the edge they used to have.
    If WoW isn't impressive now I would hate to hear what you say about other MMOs that are "doing it better" with 1/5 WoWs current playerbase on their best day.

- - - Updated - - -

How the hell do you think MOBAs occurred? It is just another genre. Blizzard could have made WoW more popular than MOBAs are now. They had a huge head start, they managed to lose it all.
    THE TWO GENRES ARENT EVEN FUCKING RELATED

Whats next compare WoW to Hearthstone a Card game? You probably would. Fuck game Genres

If WoW isn't impressive now I would hate to hear what you say about other MMOs that are "doing it better" with 1/5 WoWs current playerbase on their best day.
    Your problem, again, is that you are comparing WoW to other games which you think are similar enough (have a sub, etc). Compare it to other multiplayer games in general instead. Like MOBAs.

- - - Updated - - -

THE TWO GENRES ARENT EVEN FUCKING RELATED

Whats next compare WoW to Hearthstone a Card game? You probably would. Fuck game Genres
    They are related, although you don't understand the point, and stop shouting.

Deleted
    I am playing WoW like a RPG nowadays. So i dont really mind if there is a content drought. I buy an expac, plus one or two months of playtime, and thats it.

Would i be happier if i had a continued incentive to play the game?

I am not sure. What kind of incentive should it be? A extrinsic reward like a legendary ring? Farming for crafting mats for months?

I think tedious activities with months of playtime wont make the game better. It just would burn out the last who are still there even more.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2016-03-16 at 05:29 PM.

I see you didn't list Selfie Cam as something you don't like. I bet you forgot to put it on the Like list?

- - - Updated - - -

pretty easy. tune it for 'accessible.'
    Omg my lord the tone of both your posts made me laugh so hard i almost peed.

THANK YOU

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I am playing WoW like a RPG nowadays. So i dont really mind if there is a content drought. I buy an expac, plus one or two months of playtime, and thats it.

Would i be happier if i had a continued incentive to play the game?

I am not sure. What kind of incentive should it be? A extrinsic reward like a legendary ring? Farming for crafting mats for months?

I dont think tedious activities with months of playtime wont make the game better. It just would burn out the last who are still there even more.
    HEEEEEY Rym said something i can get behind. This is rare.

Shhh baby don't say anything else. don't ruin the moment for us.

- - - Updated - - -

Your problem, again, is that you are comparing WoW to other games which you think are similar enough (have a sub, etc). Compare it to other multiplayer games in general instead. Like MOBAs.

- - - Updated - - -

They are related, although you don't understand the point, and stop shouting.
    Uh NO I'm comparing WoW to former P2P Themepark MMOS that were deemed WoW killers and now sit on a F2P Model or in FF14s case bombed 1.0 so hard they had to remake their entire game.

Games that directly copied WoW in SwtoR and Rifts Case.

You are comparing it to League. A Moba that spawned from DoTA a Warcraft 3 Custom Map.

You compare League to Dota/ Smite / HoN

You don't compare it to WoW. If you do its out of the most cringe worthy levels of ignorance a person could have.

What you compare LEAGUE to when talking about Blizzard is Heroes of the Storm.

The genres and the way they are played and approached are no related in the slightest.

You can keep telling me Apples are just like Bacon. but my dog would like to have a word with you

Peanut butter sack
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-03-16 at 05:37 PM.

Deleted
    I find i never really suffer from content drought as theres always something for me to do, whether i'm grinding a particularly mount or leveling another alt.

Deleted
    Dont get me wrong here, i would welcome if blizzard would add new content regularily to give people more to do.

But they probably wont make that, they just would raise longevity by new rewards. As they did in WoD.

I believe they think that the extrinsic reward schedule is appropriate to keep enough players.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2016-03-16 at 05:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    There is no judgement either way. The point I am making is people saying that there is always something to do content wise for everyone are just lying to themselves.

This post specifically is about content drought being acceptable in WoW. WoW fanboys come here and say that there is always stuff to do for everyone. That statement is a huge fallacy. While there is plenty to do for some people who strive to complete everything, that is a minority of players. Most players aren't in the market to complete every achievement and collect every mount/pet/xmog in game, thus there is a large lack of content for those players.
    No, this is specificly about "how dare you like something I don't like".

Personally, I don't have any strong feelings about the content drought. In fact as a raider with less free time last few years I welcome it. I like long break between raid content cause it gives me plenty time to finish it. I also welcome the months with no new content at the end of expantion because it gives me time to finish stuff from the expantion (or some previous ones) that I didn't have time to do before. Also, the feeling that I can just not log at all for a few days without being an issue for my raid team is welcomed cause those little breaks from WoW sparkle the new interest for it.

I am not lying to anyone. I just enjoy those breaks. I understand someone else might not enjoy it and I respect that. But when you say that we are fanboys or that we lie to ourselves because we don't oppose content dought, you are being judgemental about it.

And saying that there is always something to do is a perfectly logical fact. Only because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact it is a logical falasy to claim there is no content universaly. Saying there is no content you personally enjoy is perfectly valid. Saying there is no content when there are still people who find things to do for themselves is denying the reality.

I don't expect you understand why some of us still have fun in WoW even without new stuff but at least try to respect this fact. I would assume people who feel the lack of content in WoW blame those of us who don't feel that way that it's somehow out fault that we don't join the crowd that is trying to force Blizzard into releasing the content more often. But that's so wrong. The best thing a bored gamer can do to make the developer realize they are dissatisfied with a sub based game is to cancel the sub (at state to the dev directly why you are doing so). But it's childish to lash out on those who just don't share your point of view.

I like what I'm getting from Blizzard and I that's why I'm giving them my money (well, to be more exact I'm giving gold to someone who is giving them money). If I stop liking it I stop giving them money, tell them why I'm stopping and move on with my life; eventually come back when I feel the game will satisfy my needs again.

Also for a shorter TLDR history lesson

Mobas came from WC3 Hero Unit development which spawned DoTA which spawned the Moba Genre Which spawned League.

There go tell your Science teach you learned something about the history of evolution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    I find i never really suffer from content drought as theres always something for me to do, whether i'm grinding a particularly mount or leveling another alt.
    How dare you enjoy old content!!!