Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    A ... board game cafe?
    I am unfamiliar with those.

Is it simply a cafe where you can play board games? Does sound fun
    Its like a game shop where they have board games and maybe sell trading card games. It probably has tables made for tabletop gaming and serves food. I assume thats what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    A ... board game cafe?
    I am unfamiliar with those.

Is it simply a cafe where you can play board games? Does sound fun
    There's a bunch in Toronto; Snakes and Lattes is probably the best-known. Full-service coffee shop, has board games available for play while you're there, as well as a pretty fantastic selection of new copies available for sale. Actually picked up a copy of my "white whale" boardgame the last time I was there (Cosmic Encounter, FWIW)

Did he say he had been to Santiago, Chile twice last year?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I would have laughed in his face and walked out the door.

I own a business, too, and I ALWAYS offer a meet up and some of my time for free. Then contracts are drawn up. Legally, you're in the clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Its like a game shop where they have board games and maybe sell trading card games. It probably has tables made for tabletop gaming and serves food. I assume thats what it is.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's a bunch in Toronto; Snakes and Lattes is probably the best-known. Full-service coffee shop, has board games available for play while you're there, as well as a pretty fantastic selection of new copies available for sale.
    They do terribly here in Portland, several have opened up and closed within 3-6 months. Some bars compromise and simply have board games available or gaming nights...gamers don't necessarily spend a lot of money on drinks while playing games.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're spending $100k, did he really expect you to go with the first guy you spoke to about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You're spending $100k, did he really expect you to go with the first guy you spoke to about it?
    $100k is a paltry budget. If anything he should have known that the OP's project is a pipe dream and declined to meet, or offered a half-assed email meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It also sounds like a terrible business model and the OP's budget for such a business is far too low, as he managed to figure out rather belatedly but would have been clear with some actual foresight and number-crunching.
    There was a gaming place I used to do the corporate and personal taxes for. They did really well but I don't think they sold food there. But yeah the OP's budget is really low for such a place. I would have assumed 100k at the low end.

He also paid our firm in magic card decks (One of the partners was really into collecting card games)

10+ Year Old Account
    They do terribly here in Portland, several have opened up and closed within 3-6 months. Some bars compromise and simply have board games available or gaming nights...gamers don't necessarily spend a lot of money on drinks while playing games.
    Are they just offering the board games for play in-house?

Snakes and Lattes does a HUGE amount of direct-sales business, of the actual board games. The Annex location (the College location is newish, haven't been there yet) is essentially split into the coffee shop area in the back, with the front being the board game store for buying new copies. The front was busier than the back, when I've been there. They're also one of the few locations that's able to sell Cards Against Humanity directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    There was a gaming place I used to do the corporate and personal taxes for. They did really well but I don't think they sold food there. But yeah the OP's budget is really low for such a place. I would have assumed 100k at the low end.

He also paid our firm in magic card decks (One of the partners was really into collecting card games)
    I would like gaming places to do better in Portland, we definitely have the market for it. Ground Kontrol is very popular, but it is arcade-style.

10+ Year Old Account
    $100k is a paltry budget. If anything he should have known that the OP's project is a pipe dream and declined to meet, or offered a half-assed email meeting.
    Doesn't really matter, they should know you're going to shop around so either be up front about the consultation, or do as most businesses do and offer it gratis.

Honestly, OP probably dodged a bullet.

He doesn't need to speak to a lawyer, lol. Or here, I'll give an answer.

Definition of a "contract", which would apply for fee-based consulting purposes: necessitates both an offer and acceptance. This can be done verbally or written down on a napkin, although if you take someone to court proving a verbal contract can be difficult...

The architect did not clearly make an offer and the OP did not clearly accept, there is no basis for anything here. In the future the architect should clearly state his fee up front and request payment.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ers-32651.html

You're welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

While you are not legally obligated to pay him, how do you have $100k for a building project but not $200 to pay an architect for his advice? Just pay him and stop being cheap.
    It's about the principle. If head had given me a price, I would have paid. I asked at least twice, prior to the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Are they just offering the board games for play in-house?
    Yes...direct sales of board games is not something I've seen here with gaming bars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    It's about the principle. If head had given me a price, I would have paid. I asked at least twice, prior to the meeting.
    Yeah understood. Well you are truly not legally obligated to pay so don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Did you sign anything? Did you verbally agree to pay any sum? If the answer is no to both he can't do shit. Though I would thank him for helping you realize you shouldn't waste money on a board game cafe. I mean really? Board games ? You might as well just take your money and burn it.
    Board game sales are up 20% over EACH of the last 5 years... and board game cafe's are opening everywhere. Some will succeed, some will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Honestly, OP probably dodged a bullet.
    Well the fact that he was being evasive regarding the consulting fee is certainly not a good sign.

It also sounds like a terrible business model and the OP's budget for such a business is far too low, as he managed to figure out rather belatedly but would have been clear with some actual foresight and number-crunching.

You're funny. Do you not realize that I was in the process of doing that number crunching?

10+ Year Old Account
    In the US you don't need to sign a contract for it to be valid, just a clear acceptance of terms.
    In this circumstance, what would justify a "clear acceptance of terms"?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    You're funny. Do you not realize that I was in the process of doing that number crunching?
    Is $100k your total budget or just what you were planning on renovations? Even if you were planning on working the shop yourself, licensure fees and related business costs add up very quickly.

A couple of attorneys I know opened up a restaurant in an inexpensive part of the Portland area and blew through a $1M budget within 12 months of the restaurant opening, and the restaurant was not unsuccessful.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    The local board game cafes are doing pretty well in my city. They do direct sales of board games as well as food and drink. Definitely not a bad way to spend an afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like an ass. You should -always- be respectful.

Also he should have properly brought up any fees beforehand. People don't like hidden fees and getting screwed.