Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    We will be using "Windows 10." Not just "Windows." There will also not be a subscription.
    None of that is for certain. Microsoft has made it VERY clear that... they haven't given any info out, or possibly even decided, yet.

They might just start doing "Windows" at v10, and then v11 with some updates and v12, etc etc. Or it might just be Windows 10 forever with updates. Or they might change the name to Windows 365, who knows! We don't, because MS hasn't told us yet.

The subscription is probably unlikely, but not impossible. Again, they haven't detailed the roadmap. And even if they had, a lot changes in 8-10 years for software.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    None of that is for certain. Microsoft has made it VERY clear that... they haven't given any info out, or possibly even decided, yet.

They might just start doing "Windows" at v10, and then v11 with some updates and v12, etc etc. Or it might just be Windows 10 forever with updates. Or they might change the name to Windows 365, who knows! We don't, because MS hasn't told us yet.

The subscription is probably unlikely, but not impossible. Again, they haven't detailed the roadmap. And even if they had, a lot changes in 8-10 years for software.
    What do you mean they have not said? They have clearly stated that what they released is called Windows 10, not just Windows, and that it will be the last Windows they make. It already has a name, if you walk in to a store and ask for Windows, they will ask you which one. If you walk in and ask for Windows 10, they know what you mean because that's what it's called and it's the last Windows they will make. So yeah, we do know, because you know, they released it as Windows 10.

Look, it;s all right here:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ws-windows-10/

They call it Windows 10, not Windows. So yeah, it has a name and they told us what it was when they released it.

As for annual fees, yeah, they've said that as well:
    https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/606722491978022912

Right there. They said it, no annual fees.

How can you sit there and say they have not said when they clearly have?

There are also multiple articles where Microsoft has given their plans to continue making money with Windows, but not by charging a subscription for it:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-w...money-instead/
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/82...ft-makes-money

It's all pretty clear. It's called Windows 10 and it's the last version of Windows. It will not require a subscription. It will last for the life of the hardware it's installed on and new hardware will require new OS.

AS I asked originally, please provide a source for this information you are giving out. You state that have made it VERY clear that they have not given any info out, yet it's pretty clear they have. I mean, it's on the box, Windows 10, that's what it's called. It doesn't get much clearer than that. They have said on Twitter, it will not require a sub, it doesn't get much clearer than that. So where is this VERY clear information that is the opposite of what they have clearly said?

The blog confirms that the current name is Windows 10, but doesn't really come down on either side for the future.

If you're pushing a major new build to the public with big new features you're probably going to want something better than "Coming soon! Windows 10 OS Buld 110213.175"

Even if it's Windows 10: Service Pack x, or Windows 10: 8, The Ocho, or Windows 10: Super Final Ultimate Directors Cut Edition.

I really can't see it remaining as just Windows 10 without either version number increases or a colon.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are getting so hung up on where my sources are. I was just speculating. And I don't expect there to be no cost in Windows forever. There will be some kind of catch, eventually. But again, thats 10 years down the road. We don't know.

And yes, blah blah Windows 10, I wasn't even talking about Windows 10. I was talking about whatever iteration of windows we have in ~2025. Which will PROBABLY be called just Windows. I doubt it will stay just windows 10 forever. Rick and Morty and Windows 10 for years and years.

Regardless, the entire point of this was to point out the difference between a Product and a Service.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    The blog confirms that the current name is Windows 10, but doesn't really come down on either side for the future.

If you're pushing a major new build to the public with big new features you're probably going to want something better than "Coming soon! Windows 10 OS Buld 110213.175"

Even if it's Windows 10: Service Pack x, or Windows 10: 8, The Ocho, or Windows 10: Super Final Ultimate Directors Cut Edition.

I really can't see it remaining as just Windows 10 without either version number increases or a colon.
    When was the last time Apple changed the name of MacOS? When was the last time Google changed the name of Chrome? That is what Microsoft is going for here. Same name, forever. They can not really call it just "Windows" because that already has a definition which encompasses all previous versions of Windows. 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME...... Therefore, it is "Windows 10" and will likely remain so, as MacOS and Chrome remain the same.

When was the last time Google changed the name of Chrome?
    Don't know about Apple stuff, never owned any of their products.

Chrome isn't an OS, it's a browser.

Android is the OS. It gets named after a new sweet/desert on each major release. And people know about it.

People are getting so hung up on where my sources are. I was just speculating.
    It's just a case of misunderstanding what's going on.

1) Support doesn't end 2020. MAINSTREAM support ends 2020, meaning they won't change the functionality of the OS anymore. It will just be patches and security updates
    2) Extended support doesn't end until 2025, and even then...
    3) Microsoft is moving from a Product to a Service system. Windows 10 is the last Windows Product. After that it will be something like Windows 365 or something that you pay piecemeal, or subscription, for updates/etc.
    None of that sounds like speculation. It sounds like you are listing facts. The first 2 are even true. Then comes the contradiction and stating as fact that it will be called something else and you'll have to pay for stuff.

And I don't expect there to be no cost in Windows forever. There will be some kind of catch, eventually. But again, thats 10 years down the road. We don't know.
    Well, we already know there will not be no cost forever. We already know that it is only free to owners of 7 and 8.1 for the first year, after that, you have to pay for it. We also know that they gave their mysterious saying of it will be supported until the end of life of the hardware it is on. So they get to pick and choose what hardware to support. When you need new hardware, you'll need new OS. Basically, pretty much the same as it is right now. New PC, new license. Since those of us that are custom builders and upgrade our own machines are actually such a small small portion of the people who buy Windows, every new PC purchased will still have to have a paid Windows License, just like it is now. If/when they prevent you moving a Windows License from one motherboard to another, then we also must purchase Windows with each upgrade of the motherboard or possibly even the CPU. As it works currently, normally around the time you are doing that, there is a better version of Windows you want to buy. So really no change from how it is currently. It's never was free before and it will remain not free and they'll remain making the same amount of money.

In addition, they will be making money from the App store and getting a cut of in app purchases and digital video and music, like iTunes. They are trying to make themselves more like Apple. Apple does not charge subscriptions for MacOS, it just comes with your PC and works. That's what Windows will do now too.

And yes, blah blah Windows 10, I wasn't even talking about Windows 10. I was talking about whatever iteration of windows we have in ~2025. Which will PROBABLY be called just Windows. I doubt it will stay just windows 10 forever. Rick and Morty and Windows 10 for years and years.
    It will likely be called Windows 10 still, just like MacOS is still called MacOS and Chrome is still called Chrome. People will probably refer to it as just Windows, because people will forget about previous versions, but until the EoL of W8.1, people will likely still be saying "Windows 10" simply to differentiate the different versions of Windows still in use.

Regardless, the entire point of this was to point out the difference between a Product and a Service.
    It was, until you stated something as fact that was rather confusing and from all that I can tell outright wrong and I asked for clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about Apple stuff, never owned any of their products.

Chrome isn't an OS, it's a browser.

Android is the OS. It gets named after a new sweet/desert on each major release. And people know about it.
    Chromebooks run Android? Funny, I thought they ran Chrome OS. Oh, wait, they do.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

We're not talking about smart phones here.....

Chromebooks run Android? Funny, I thought they ran Chrome OS. Oh, wait, they do.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS
    Chrome OS =/= Chrome, which is what you said in your original post.

As for Chrome OS itself it does have version numbers, as seen in this article about the new version: http://9to5google.com/2016/03/15/chrome-os-49-features/

Having checked Apple's efforts they attach a post colon version name to their releases. Like El Capitan, released last September.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-03-18 at 04:03 AM.

Chrome OS =/= Chrome, which is what you said in your original post.

As for Chrome OS itself it does have version numbers, as seen in this article about the new version: http://9to5google.com/2016/03/15/chrome-os-49-features/
    Well seeing as this was talk of PC OSs and not Smart Phones, I thought it was pretty obvious I meant Chrome OS.

I'm not saying that Windows 10 will not have version numbers. It will Still be Windows 10 though. Just like MacOS and still MacOS and Chrome OS is still Chrome OS.

Well seeing as this was talk of PC OSs and not Smart Phones, I thought it was pretty obvious I meant Chrome OS.

I'm not saying that Windows 10 will not have version numbers. It will Still be Windows 10 though. Just like MacOS and still MacOS and Chrome OS is still Chrome OS.
    Which is why in my original post I said this:

Note that all of the made up ridiculous examples start with "Windows 10:"

And Windows 10 is not exclusively a PC OS. That was one of their big things about it. Trying to unify Microsoft devices.

I hate these articles and post regarding the future of Windows by itself.

First a few years ago Microsoft (some high level person) talked about possible futures in how the OS could evolve, and a sub based model was part of it ofc. Annoying part is some people are now convinced that after W10 we won't have any new OS or that we will pay a monthly sub,

This is what we know.....Nothing

We know that Microsoft has been trying to spread around their source of income (like any company should) because computers don't need to be upgraded as often as it used to be.

We know that they are trying to look into different models in how they should develop Windows, they believe that having a upgrade cycle of 6 or so years is just to long. The argument for this is that when you develop new features you can get it out faster when, this is the same argument used by google and Mozilla for their respective browsers

10+ Year Old Account
    And Windows 10 is not exclusively a PC OS. That was one of their big things about it. Trying to unify Microsoft devices.
    That's only marketing, the Windows 10 that runs at computers is different than the "Windows 10" that runs on smartphones, or the Xbox1, or any other strange device minus tablets. Intel can make decent low-power x86 cpus now so tablets are indeed running the real Windows 10.

And ChromeOS has a deadline. Google is merging it with Android to make things simpler, and should be done by 2017.

Which is why in my original post I said this:

Note that all of the made up ridiculous examples start with "Windows 10:"

Then what is your problem with what I am saying. Why do you keep quoting me and arguing with what I say? I was asking someone else for clarification on their statement and explaining that it will still be called Windows 10, not Windows 365, not just Windows, it will be called Windows 10, the same way Chrome OS is still called Chrome OS and the same way MacOS is stiall called MacOS. I never said anything about versions or build numbers or anything. Obviously version numbers have to exist. But if you play WoW, it's not like when you talk about playing WoW with your friends you say, "Yeah, last night when I was playing world od Warcraft: Legion, patch 3.65 I.......". You simply say WoW. Of course there are patch numbers, and yeah they are discussed some, that doesn't change the name of the game to <name> <patch#>. The name is still the name.

Deleted
    Maybe microsoft - being a "tech giant" - are more focused on the internet-part of things. cloud storage and so on. a LOT of stuff can run on html5 these days.. stuff that you'd consider that you needed a beefy PC for 20 years ago. in 10 years.. who knows?

My bet is cloud services, of various kinds, will be their go-to money maker in the future. it's hard to justify 100 dollar OS prices when there's barely any noticable changes for the average user.

but who knows... they might just be making a new OS.. called.. Door (haha, get it?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    but who knows... they might just be making a new OS.. called.. Door (haha, get it?)
    So now we'll have doors at our desktops?

Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    Maybe microsoft - being a "tech giant" - are more focused on the internet-part of things. cloud storage and so on. a LOT of stuff can run on html5 these days.. stuff that you'd consider that you needed a beefy PC for 20 years ago. in 10 years.. who knows?

My bet is cloud services, of various kinds, will be their go-to money maker in the future. it's hard to justify 100 dollar OS prices when there's barely any noticable changes for the average user.

This is pretty much what has been said in multiple articles. They are looking to gain money from Cloud Storage, the App store, In-App purchases and digital media moving forward, just like Apple and Google do, who they are modeling themselves after now. They will also continue to charge for OSes on all new hardware. In reality, nothing is really changing except they will make more money from the micro-transactions and subs for cloud storage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was asking someone else for clarification on their statement and explaining that it will still be called Windows 10, not Windows 365, not just Windows, it will be called Windows 10, the same way Chrome OS is still called Chrome OS and the same way MacOS is stiall called MacOS.
    I get why you responded to someone who seemed to be stating a fact rather than speculation. At this point all we have is speculation how it will go in the future. It makes sense to use the Windows 10 name while there are still previous versions floating around in use. But if they do transition to a different model with Windows 10 just doing updates over time and not introducing new OS’ then I’d expect the “10” to get dropped just for Windows sooner or later. 10+ years from now when support has ended for all the older versions and people aren’t using them any more I don’t think the name “Windows 10” will make much sense. It will just be “Windows”. Of course they say now that “Windows 10” will be the last Windows because they are announcing their change in strategy and design, but I don’t think it will make sense to keep the “10” in the name once that strategy has been implemented and progressed through a few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I know is that Nadella actually has a slightly different view of things in comparison to Ballmer or Gates and is trying to take away a part of the Android and iOS ecosystems.
    They've also open-sourced Chakra which is arguably the best JS engine you can use right now, the new MS is doing things differently.

But at the same time they're becoming Apple with products like the Surface and Surface book, or the Lumia phones. So who knows what will happen rly...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    I get why you responded to someone who seemed to be stating a fact rather than speculation. At this point all we have is speculation how it will go in the future. It makes sense to use the Windows 10 name while there are still previous versions floating around in use. But if they do transition to a different model with Windows 10 just doing updates over time and not introducing new OS’ then I’d expect the “10” to get dropped just for Windows sooner or later. 10+ years from now when support has ended for all the older versions and people aren’t using them any more I don’t think the name “Windows 10” will make much sense. It will just be “Windows”. Of course they say now that “Windows 10” will be the last Windows because they are announcing their change in strategy and design, but I don’t think it will make sense to keep the “10” in the name once that strategy has been implemented and progressed through a few years.
    and I doubt they will change the name of it. The boxes will likely still say Windows 10. I do agree, that 10-20 years down the road, people will not say the 10 out loud anymore, but it will likely forever be the name of it. Just like FFXIV:ARR is still officially titled FFXIV:ARR, but everyone just refers to it as FFXIV. If you go to buy FFXIV though, you are buying FFXIV:ARR+ExPack.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could very well be right, but so could I. Or 10+ years down the line Microsoft is pursuing an entirely different approach that they haven't even thought of yet. Lots of things change, particularly for tech companies, over that kind of time.