Poll: Will you pre-order the Oculus Rift?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shotterke View Post
    The PSVR will have more wasted pixels though and with the custom subpixel arrangement on the Rift/Vive the difference won't be that big. RGB also suffers from jailbarring which was a problem with the DK1 that used a RGB screen.
    PenTile is also better at drawing round shapes or diagonal lines, neither is perfect and for what VR headsets are intended I think they weighted PenTile's advantages heavier than its weaknesses.

I mean, it's something designed taking into consideration how our eyes perceive different colors. There's logic to it and even if it has 33% fewer subpixels the image won't feel 33% less sharp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    PenTile is also better at drawing round shapes or diagonal lines, neither is perfect and for what VR headsets are intended I think they weighted PenTile's advantages heavier than its weaknesses.

I mean, it's something designed taking into consideration how our eyes perceive different colors. There's logic to it and even if it has 33% fewer subpixels the image won't feel 33% less sharp.
    I actually get the feeling that they didn't even consider if it was Pentile instead of just the panel type, resolution, and refresh rate. Of course that's me being more cynical and hope they actually aren't that dumb.
    People have been noting how the PSVR's display looks better than Rift/Vive despite being lower specced.
    http://imgur.com/tyJT7tR
    Of course I'm personally not a fan of Pentile, but it just plain doesn't work for VR. The amount of artifacts presented and the density isn't there until higher dpi displays are put in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotterke View Post
    The PSVR will have more wasted pixels though and with the custom subpixel arrangement on the Rift/Vive the difference won't be that big. RGB also suffers from jailbarring which was a problem with the DK1 that used a RGB screen.
    What's a wasted pixel?
    More subpixel in the same place (provided they're not some stupid tiny subpixel) means less of the black spaces you can see. And it's not really custom, it's a cost saving method to produce a higher resolution. OLED's yield is extremely low right now which is why Pentile exists to begin with.

Deleted
    I know it's a slight bump but

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech...11364051981250

Oculus exclusive games are already on vive, didn't take very long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    I know it's a slight bump but

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech...11364051981250

Oculus exclusive games are already on vive, didn't take very long at all.
    Did not figure it would take long at all. In essence, all VR is is a fancy display and a fancy controller. Pretty easy to emulate a display and a controller.

More than anything, they are both devices with extremely large amounts of overlap in terms of function. So yeah, doesn't surprise me either. :P