Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Remember these posts for the rest of your life when a child you know and love

is raped.
    And remember, if priests have to report it, they will not be told it, so nothing would change as far as the criminal case is concerned. You will have placed a great burden on religious freedom for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Roman Catholic, that's all that needs to be said.

Regardless of ones' views on religion there are many branches of Christianity that are noble and serve their people appropriately. Roman Catholicism isn't one of them, and arguably never has been. The guy above from Louisiana who said they're in it for the money is spot on. That and power is all the Catholic Church cares about.
    This. Too many thing religion = evil, bad, control. Which there are a number of people that do use it for that. Many that blindly follow it. Many use it in ways that it shouldn't be.

This is one of the times that it was used badly and wrong.

Privacy of confession definitely should not be violated.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree, you should be morally and legally obligated to report it even if its in confession.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Lets compare 4 people that did bad vs a whole damn church that rapes little boys on a daily basis.

Good job
    LOL. Lets not mention the millions who killed on the orders of those 4 people.

Good Job

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    This. Too many thing religion = evil, bad, control. Which there are a number of people that do use it for that. Many that blindly follow it. Many use it in ways that it shouldn't be.

This is one of the times that it was used badly and wrong.
    Exactly. Catholocism is little more than Christian-flavored paganism.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo Foo Cuddlypoops View Post
    What's your opinion on it? I think they should be required to report it.
    And then so should lawyers, doctors, therapists etc
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Hmmm, it might be better if they leave it open ended like this as people might avoid confessional if the church is required to report any abuse they hear through confessional. You would need to establish it as in their best interest to disclose that information though.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    And herein is where you missed my point... everything I listed is protected communication, yes?
    If a pedophile, hebophile, or ephebophile were to mention their attraction towards their psychologist, then the psychologist is under federal law to report it to the authorities. Again, you missed your own point because you listed protected communications with one that isn't. The only clear difference between what I listed and what the OP listed is that their case is actually where child molestation happened and they try to claim protection, while someone can simply try to solve their issue without ever having committed a crime and still be in trouble. See the issue there?
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

As irreligious as I am I think this ruling is correct for 2 reasons. First, forcing reports would violate both freedom of religion and freedom of privacy. Second, forcing reports would just make people not confess, thereby nullifying the intent of the law in the first place.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    https://richarddawkins.net/2016/03/l...-confession-2/

Louisiana Judge Rules That Priests Don’t Have to Report Abuse if They Hear It During Confession

Thoughts on this?
    they are given the same protection as attorney client privilege

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I don't agree, you should be morally and legally obligated to report it even if its in confession.
    should then lawyers be required the same if a client confesses to a crime to them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    If a pedophile, hebophile, or ephebophile were to mention their attraction towards their psychologist, then the psychologist is under federal law to report it to the authorities. Again, you missed your own point because you listed protected communications with one that isn't. The only clear difference between what I listed and what the OP listed is that their case is actually where child molestation happened and they try to claim protection, while someone can simply try to solve their issue without ever having committed a crime and still be in trouble. See the issue there?
    Show me this federal law.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I love how it's all "church and state must remain separate!!!" Yet the church has no problems with telling people what they can and can't do outside of it.
    No one if forcing them to, that's the difference. The United States is not Saudi Arabia. You don't get whipped in public by the government if you say god isn't real, or for refusing to eat fish on fridays during lent if you're catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    The United States is not Saudi Arabia. You don't get whipped in public by the government if you say god isn't real, or for refusing to eat fish on fridays during lent if you're catholic.
    Not contesting that point.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Not contesting that point.
    Sorry, what point are you trying to make then?

If someone is confessing to a priest, it usually means they know they did wrong and want to make up for it or better their lives or change etc... AkA they are more looking for advice on how to change or what they should do. (which there are cases the priest saying they should turn them self's in, and the said person did)
    *sending the priest prison will do no good, specially if they are try to help people make up for their sins*

i don;t know anyone religious who goes to a priest thinking all is forgiven without any effort.......(but i am sure there is a case somewhere)
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-03-19 at 02:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get ready for "Confession Time!" kiddies.

Do all you pro-religious folks really not see how the priest/pastor/whatever can just say "it's confession time" and be given a blank check to abuse?

There's a reason that we require therapists and other "people of trust" (such as employers, teachers, etc..) to report crimes...because they're CRIMES.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

Do all you pro-religious folks really not see how the priest/pastor/whatever can just say "it's confession time" and be given a blank check to abuse?

There's a reason that we require therapists and other "people of trust" (such as employers, teachers, etc..) to report crimes...because they're CRIMES.
    That's not how it works. Confession, or the Sacrament of Penance, happens in strict conditions. The penitent has to ask for it. The priest is in a kind of booth called the confessional. The penitent goes to an adjacent booth and usualy talks through a grid. The priest wont even look the penitent. He will confess his sins and ask for advices, and then the priest, as Christ's representative, will give him a penance and absolve him. As Christ forgive our sins and forget them, the priest must do the same. So he wont speak about it.

However, if someone talks to a priest outside of the confessional, there is no secret of confession and the priest must denounce a crime just like any other citizen.

As for the case exposed by the OP, the main problem does not reside in the secret of confession, but in the fact that he gave a very bad advice.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbrez View Post
    This. She could have reported it to law enforcement.
    Fear, and children can be very impressonable and just be so traumitized to not say anything. Law is fucked up.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

As others have pointed out, that isn't how Confession works.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    As others have pointed out, that isn't how Confession works.
    I don't really care. Louisiana has given a free pass to protect criminals because they believe in the same magical sky wizard.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.