Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lemur View Post
    Hey guys just curious if you'll indulge me; do you/will you pick the new games based on the titles or the box legendaries? Or do you just always buy both?

AND! Do you pick starters based on appearance, type, or a mix?

Just asking because with just the info we have now, which is basically just the titles of Sun and Moon, between me and my fiance I am getting Sun and he is getting Moon just off the titles because we have to get the opposites to trade with each other =p

I am also going to just be going for whatever water starter we get to pick because they've been good to me, unless when we see them and the grass is too cute to resist =p
    I pick my games based on the box title and what Pokemon that version has available with my first playthrough in mind. So far I have chosen Blue>Silver>Crystal>Sapphire>Emerald>Platinum>White>White2>Both X&Y>Alpha Sapphire. Will be picking up Moon just based on the name I think.

For stater I always pick the Grass type, no exceptions.
    Last edited by mmoc4d2020beea; 2016-03-19 at 01:39 PM.

Hey guys just curious if you'll indulge me; do you/will you pick the new games based on the titles or the box legendaries? Or do you just always buy both?

Just asking because with just the info we have now, which is basically just the titles of Sun and Moon, between me and my fiance I am getting Sun and he is getting Moon just off the titles because we have to get the opposites to trade with each other =p

I am also going to just be going for whatever water starter we get to pick because they've been good to me, unless when we see them and the grass is too cute to resist =p
    I pick my version based on the "blue" version, ie: Blue, Silver, Sapphire, X, ect. And unless Mega Volcarona is a thing and only Sun Exclusive, I don't see that trend stopping

As for starters, I always go wit the grass starter!

Deleted

I try to look for the pokemon available in each version before I decide. In the end though I generally buy both versions anyway, just the second one a bit later.

Regarding the starters it's not easy for me to decide. For Pokemon Y I had the following train of thought:
    I hate Greninjas design, so thats out from the beginning. Chesnaught is my prefferred "Type" in that it's a sort of slow and bulky hardhitter but I didn't take it at the beginning because I could (and did) get it after finishing the game if I chose the Firestarter. Additionally there was the distribution of Torchick and I knew that I could also get a Gen.1-starter where I would choose Charmander. So I got Fennekin to have Charmander Megaevolve with Drought, the Blaziken with it's hidden ability and said Firestarter together as my baseteam. I found it kinda interesting to go with so many Pokemons of one Type early on. Also Fennekin was the cutest and I liked the way the evolutions looked.
    For Saphire I chose the Waterstarter because I already had Blaziken from Pokemon Y and Sceptile doesn't learn that many special moves on his own so that was kinda meh for a normal playthrough. I also planned to use Kyogre with it's ability for Swamperts Swiftswim. Here I got disappointed later because the stronger version of rain disappears completlely after a switch. I thought it would just become normal rain. I also got exited for that posibility because only Politoed has drizzle and I hate Politoed so anything new was welcome. Swampert was also excellent in regards to HMs.

I also hope at some point they'll change how some HMs work. I'm mainly bothered by weak shit like Cut and Rocksmash, although the abundance of watertype Hms is also annoying. I don't like Hmslaves since it feels wasteful. It wasn't bad in Saphire because I could go with Cascade, Dive and Strength on Swampert, Surf on something else (I think Exploud) and Rocksmash as well as Cut fit relatively well on Breloom which I used to catch Pokemon since it also learns Spore.
    I hope there won't be as much to learn in S/M. It's just annoying to swap 1-2 members of your team jsut because somehere there are rocks to break or a waterfall to climb. The only HM I really love is Fly. It's the second strongest physical flyingmove and the first turn doesn't matter against NPCs.
    With that being said I also feel they kinda fucked up with Earthquake in that other strong earthmoves are still weaker or at best equal so you kinda default back to it. Zygarde Specialmove is strictly weaker(despite looking better) and Marrowaks Bonemerang is less accurate. Groudons is a tradeoff and something I would have love to have seen earlier. Sadly it's exclusive to it and even then not simply better.

PS: Give Mega-Galvantula with Drizzle please.
    PS2: Give also Megamarrowak with an Ability that improves his "Boneattacks".
    Last edited by mmocdfca36c20d; 2016-03-19 at 03:07 PM.

Deleted
    iirc, XY already made it so that you don't need cut. (i found the HM on accident)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    iirc, XY already made it so that you don't need cut. (i found the HM on accident)
    The only HMs you need to complete XY are Strength and Surf. Everything else is completely optional. Gen also had very few hms you actually needed.

Deleted
    For playthrough purposes, I think the goal should be to make Surf the only required HM. All the rest would be for optional/end-game stuff/exploration (Fly remains for convenience obviously).

i always buy both but i pick the one i want to play as my main game based off exclusives. and i pick all of my pokemon purely based off looks
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    I pick my version based on the "blue" version, ie: Blue, Silver, Sapphire, X, ect. And unless Mega Volcarona is a thing and only Sun Exclusive, I don't see that trend stopping

As for starters, I always go wit the grass starter!
    Omg, I just realised that this is totally possible!

SO MUCH HYPE!

- - - Updated - - -

About HMs, I think that it's really simple. Simply remove the move deleter, and make HMs glorified TMs (in the sense that they are still named HMs), but removable when your pokemon needs to learn something else.

The reason why they are keeping it, is because of incompatibility with other gens, which I think is obsolete by now. The only thing that makes absolutely no sense is HMs being not removable during normal gameplay and needing a specific NPC for it.

If they make them removable by simply overwriting like all TMs and keep the necessities to a minimum, it will be fine, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Omg, I just realised that this is totally possible!

SO MUCH HYPE!
    Volcarona is literally The Sun Pokemon. It actually replaced the sun after a volcano erupted and the ash blocked out all the sunlight

So, another subject which I thought about while I was completing my pokedex these days!

Imagine that you're actually a trainer in the pokemon world and being as accomplished as you want to imagine. What party of six would be your favourite? The one you would get out with into a new region recently discovered full of new pokemon to find? In other words, what party of six would be your trusted partners in the adventure (which takes decades, mind you)? What pokemon do you believe would form a team of 6 that would reflect your personality so much, you would simply love and actually fight with them? It's not that you would never swap them, but you would have built memories with them and bonds through the years.

Sigh... *imagines a pokemon anime where Ash is 30 years old and his pokemon are 20-25 years old"

Le Sigh, again...

I will post my list after some responses, to not affect any of them!

- - - Updated - - -

Volcarona is literally The Sun Pokemon. It actually replaced the sun after a volcano erupted and the ash blocked out all the sunlight
    YES YES!! I had not made the connection when Sun was announced. It makes COMPLETE sense. It's so much hype!

If mega Volcarona does not get a Mega Evo in Sun/Moon that has Drought, I will be quite ruffled.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine that you're actually a trainer in the pokemon world and being as accomplished as you want to imagine. What party of six would be your favourite? The one you would get out with into a new region recently discovered full of new pokemon to find? In other words, what party of six would be your trusted partners in the adventure (which takes decades, mind you)? What pokemon do you believe would form a team of 6 that would reflect your personality so much, you would simply love and actually fight with them? It's not that you would never swap them, but you would have built memories with them and bonds through the years.
    My mono-grass team from ORAS:

Your favourite team and pokemon would only be Grass types, Khaz? No Volcarona? I call betrayal!

Your favourite team and pokemon would only be Grass types, Khaz? No Volcarona? I call betrayal!
    Volcarona is my 2nd fav pokemon of all time, but my favorite team as a trainer would be a hoenn grass team. Those were my favorite non-locke playthroughs I have ever done

Volcarona is my 2nd fav pokemon of all time, but my favorite team as a trainer would be a hoenn grass team. Those were my favorite non-locke playthroughs I have ever done
    I see, but what about YOU being in the world and not hoeen specifically? There are so many different pokemon. Would you be ok or feel safe even in the world with those 6? I am talking of actually being with those 6 for your entire life pretty much. You will need to consider a lot of things, I'd say.

Imagine that you started from Kanto, then some years after you went to Johto etc. Currently, at the end of exploring Kalos, who do you think would stick with you?

Essentially I am talking more about a Trainer's history and story up until now. What party of 6 would you pick up to go explore the next region?

everyones favorite region? (based purely on geography not pokemon contained in it)

for me it be johto, everything is so pretty there
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I see, but what about YOU being in the world and not hoeen specifically? There are so many different pokemon. Would you be ok or feel safe even in the world with those 6? I am talking of actually being with those 6 for your entire life pretty much. You will need to consider a lot of things, I'd say.

Imagine that you started from Kanto, then some years after you went to Johto etc. Currently, at the end of exploring Kalos, who do you think would stick with you?

Essentially I am talking more about a Trainer's history and story up until now. What party of 6 would you pick up to go explore the next region?
    Well, if I had to pick a balanced team among the different regional dexes

Sceptile
    Volcarona
    Crobat
    Gyarados
    Florges
    Luxray
    Last edited by 4KhazModan; 2016-03-19 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    everyones favorite region? (based purely on geography not pokemon contained in it)

for me it be johto, everything is so pretty there
    Tie between Johto and Hoenn for me.

Johto, all in all, is one beautiful complete area, with very little variety in biomes.

Hoenn, on the other hand is a patchwork of many different areas: forested area around Rustborogh, Petalburg, Oldale, Slateport, and Littleroot; tropical Dewford island, beautiful, bright Slateport City; meadows of Verdanturf and Mauville (less so Mauville in remakes, RIP in peace old Mauville); ashy forest and mountainous Falarbor and Lavaridge; dense, rainy forest and hills around Fortree; wet opening plains, to the overgrown cliffs and the Safari Zone, leading to the amazing Lilycove (words cannot express how beautiful that town is. Getting there in the original games to finally be able to take part in the Super contests, coupled with is scenery and nice looking buildings..); the mangrovy Mossdeep; the unique Pacifidlog; the white jewel of the sea, Sootopolis; and finally the plateaued (is that a word?) Ever Grande City set in a flowery meadow.

Hoenn kinda means a lot to me. I started in Kanto with Blue, and it was just sort of a kixture of "POKERMANZ!" and my age not allowing me to take in the scenery. Johto, i was a bit older, but i was still focused on the game, but was able to focus on the regions looks more. But Hoenn, i was old enough (and the graphics and colours really opened the doors to possibilties!) To take it all in.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking of starting up another Platlocke. Choose Piplup as my starter, cuz i love me some Empoleon. Plus Sinnoh has some real powerhouse wild pokemon scattered around the joint (Houndour, Hippopotas, Shinx, Starly, Burmy (Mothim is my favourite "regional butterfly/moth"), Buneary, Scorupi, Shellos; yes, I realize they are all the base forms. My point was the stages that you find them at).

So over Roserade, though. Kinda feels like Sinnoh lacked an early Grass variety as well as Fire.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, going over the Sinnoh Platinum dex, the only pre-SafariZone/GreatMarsh grass types you get are Turtwig (self explanatory), Budew (yawn), Wormadam, and Cherubi (both Honey trees ...). And thats all before the second gym. Next Grass type is before/after the 5th Gym.

Grass? Hue, I think I'll pass.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2016-03-19 at 07:12 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

As for region based on geography? Hoenn 100%.

Deleted

Of course I would have many more but if I had to specifically pick 6 that move around with me all the time... starting from Kanto and by the end of Kalos my team would probably be Vileplume/Jumpluff/Whimsicott/Cacturne/Ferrothorn/Trevenant. The first three would be there with 100% certainty but the others I'm as sure about.

Well, if I had to pick a balanced team among the different regional dexes

Sceptile
    Volcarona
    Crobat
    Gyarados
    Florges
    Luxray
    I realise this isn't competitive battling, but you've got quite the weakness to Rock, there.

I think my team would be:

Absol,
    Steelix,
    Gardevoir,
    Noivern,
    Swampert,
    and I'm not sure about number six... Half of my team is comprised of generation 3 pokémon already (whoops), but I was thinking about Mawile. Maybe Mismagius.

Just some favourite pokémon of mine that also have purpose around multiple terrain.