Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    I don't care if people are gay lol, it doesn't bother me but it just seems random to throw it in THIS GAME. like why does overwatch need to worry about anything so stupid be it straight, gay, tran, pan, demi, etc.

If it was a game that added a level of depth to the story like WoW or any other game WHY THE FUCK NOT, it just seems so weird in this game to care about something so irrelevant that adds no depth.
    As long as it doesn't get in the way, there's no real question about 'is it necessary' because none of the flavouring is necessary anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuse View Post
    Do people really care about a character's sexual orientation in a first person shooter?
    Aren't you the one caring?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whyohwhy View Post
    K so you never read the books fair enough
    I've read some of the books, not all of them, if I'm being honest. Aren't we talking about in the video games though?

Alright, hypothetically if they did have sexual orientations for their characters what outlets would they use? its not like they have quests, this isen't a single player game or an mmo or something its just an fps.

books, I am guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    I've read some of the books, not all of them, if I'm being honest. Aren't we talking about in the video games though?
    Well if we're talking about lore we're talking about both

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, hypothetically if they did have sexual orientations for their characters what outlets would they use? its not like they have quests, this isen't a single player game or an mmo or something its just an fps.

books, I am guessing?
    Character interactions. taunts, in game commands like counter strikes "go forward" etc,

Quote Originally Posted by whyohwhy View Post
    Well if we're talking about lore we're talking about both

- - - Updated - - -

Character interactions
    In game character interactions?!? how real are you, I'll use the blizzard answer this takes away from development from other stuff sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard was truly trying to push for equality there would be no need for a secret lgbt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    WoW was the first MMO.

And invented the fantasy genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Not many people know that Tolkien was born just outside Goldshire, and EverQuest was originally a bugged quest line from Mankirk's wife that required you to go in endless loops up and down the Barrens.

ya cause i give a fuck about what some fictitious character would hypothetically have sex with you are a fucking idiot

Oh well why am i trying to talk about how fiction works with a bunch of nerds. Good night.

- - - Updated - - -

Ithis takes away from development from other stuff sorry.
    boob physics

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Aren't you the one caring?
    I'm not the one who started a thread to 'sperg out over video game sexuality.

For what it's worth, as I mentioned in my other post, Solider 76 sucks dick and is still a cool character. Knowing he's gay doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a FPS and could have zero back story without losing anything.

Junkrat and Roadhog being gay would be a nice spin on the "criminal duo" angle.

In a general sense, it's a possibility for anyone who isn't a monkey or a robot. The only other ones I think that it's particularly unlikely for are Reaper, Widowmaker and Torbjorn. The first two because their characters don't seem to mesh especially well with a romance plot in their current state, and Torbjorn because they've already stacked him pretty heavily with the dwarf angle.

- - - Updated - - -

books, I am guessing?
    They'd use the multimedia outlets that they discussed as soon as Overwatch was announced. Comics, story videos, etc. Their idea from the start was that it'd be story light in-game, but they'd do a lot of worldbuilding outside of it. The main advantage of this strategy is that they're not beholden to the pitfalls of typical video game storytelling (see: the messy-at-best mix of content that is WoW's combination of in-game and out-of-game storytelling) and they can tell stories in a much more conventional way.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2016-03-19 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    Why must sexual preference come into games like this in the first place?
    Yeah exactly. Like I literally couldn't care if every Overwatch character was a pedophile child rapist that murdered pregnant women to eat their fetuses daily.

Its so fucking irrelevant. How can people give a shit about this utter irrelevant crap? Whats next? Are we gonna start discussing what Hanzos favourite colour is? How about what Pharahs favourite breakfast drink is?

Deleted
    I'm going to say something that may be controversial, but I hope people will appreciate my deep insight:

Fuck this planet. I'm too old for this shit.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    Its so fucking irrelevant. How can people give a shit about this utter irrelevant crap? Whats next? Are we gonna start discussing what Hanzos favourite colour is? How about what Pharahs favourite breakfast drink is?
    It depends on the story arcs. I mean, there's 21 characters right now. Assuming that they don't have 21 rehashes of the same story, they're going to have a smattering of motivations and conflicts to work through. A handful of those might involve family or romance as a major plot point, and one or two among those might involve being gay as a fact of the situation or an active plot point.

To bring it back to your example, the relevance of Pharah's favorite drink depends largely on whether Pharah's favorite drink is involved in the story which, in some contexts, it may be. Or maybe it's just a footnote at the bottom of her bio, where it's unimportant but also unemphasized. Sexuality could similarly go in either direction, forming a big part of the plot or just being simple trivia. That's up to the writer.

Preferably none of them.
    There is no reason to care about the sexual preferences of characters that have no significant story.
    I understand in games that support serious narrative and character development, but in Overwatch the characters are only a function of their gameplay.
    Don't worry bout stuff like this.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I'm going to say something that may be controversial, but I hope people will appreciate my deep insight:

Fuck this planet. I'm too old for this shit.

Thank you.
    You're never too old for gay stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You're never too old for gay stuff
    Slippery slope. Period. This whole LGTB movement hijacked homosexual's community problems and is spinning out of control - read about how LGBT is actually moving on to legalizing PEDOPHILIA. I'm not joking, google it.

LGTB actually created a love-parade-dildo_wielding-faggot-image, instead of promoting what's the most important about homosexual couples - they are human beings deserving same rights.

So yeah, when I see this "lgtb" crap seep in to every medium including games it just makes me feel sick...

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    So you'd only care if a character was gay? In a non-romance story.

What?
    What i meant was: I don't play Overwatch and don't care about the game, but a gay character could maybe change that, it's good to feel represented in games (although it's not mandatory for me).

Tracer and Winston have a thing. OP didn't include bestially in the title. Shameless bigot.

i think they meant a portion of the playerbase.

Old man OTP, Roadhog X Rehinhardt.