Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well they did grab aggro once or twice but only for a 1-2 GCDs. I don't know whether it is even possible to maintain enough threat on 2 targets when a DPS goes all out on each one.

But even if you get hit once or twice it usually isn't a big deal. They took way more damage from the AoEs they refused to step out of.

Though I'd be curious: how do you recognize a good tank in this game?
    It is possible to maintain agro on all targets even if DPS target different ones and go all out, but it requires you to keep using AOE skills constantly. Which would drain TP really fast.

Personally, I don't care too much about DPS in different targets. I usually open with 2 Overpowers, sometimes even Infuriate/Steel Cyclone followed by Overpower, and change to the single target rotation. If I realize something is slipping, I simply change my target to it and continue rotation, usually its enough to get agro back. At 5 stacks, Steel Cyclone if more than one add is alive. If you feel confident about maintaing agro, you switch to Deliverance, and melt things down!

Oh, and quality of life tip... Don't bitch about people hitting different targets if everyone is quiet and silent. Just do your best to keep agro, if something slips you go after it, get agro back, if DPS dies its their fault for not respecting the unspoken rule of hitting tank target, everyone is happy. If you start bitching, and since there ARE many tanks that can hold agro pretty well, you will get flamed, specially if the DPS happen to be elitists... Which, if they are stealing your agro, is probably the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Doubt I will be able to take advantage of it. Only have 7M to my name. ;_; Quite sure the 1% will beat me to it.

/sigh

My wishlist at the moment is,
    • Carbies for my SMN
    • A house or even better a floating base like that sky pirate fella.

Just got to accept this game will always be flawed to me - there will always be some rough edge that will freak me out (yay OCD).
    I think the small ones start at 5-6m anyways, so you should be able to get one. And then mediums are 32-35m (cause I bought one at those prices) and large are 75-80m at starting prices. >.>

@unholytestament what the fuck is this new ava, this is strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Oh, and quality of life tip... Don't bitch about people hitting different targets if everyone is quiet and silent. Just do your best to keep agro, if something slips you go after it, get agro back, if DPS dies its their fault for not respecting the unspoken rule of hitting tank target, everyone is happy. If you start bitching, and since there ARE many tanks that can hold agro pretty well, you will get flamed, specially if the DPS happen to be elitists... Which, if they are stealing your agro, is probably the case.
    Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and let them show how stupid they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    @unholytestament what the fuck is this new ava, this is strange.
    Is it not customary around these parts to have pictures of cute anime grills for avatars?

So this is how the mention thing works...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    You should be able hold threat on 2 or 3 if you're cycling/splitting your main threat combo between them. Unless the dps are really good/geared and just messing with you.
    Pretty much what I did, according to the aggro indicator it was rather close.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga
    Oh, and quality of life tip... Don't bitch about people hitting different targets if everyone is quiet and silent.
    I didn't bitch, I merely asked because I was curious as to whether it was intentional (you know like a competition among friends or sth) or an oversight.
    It didn't really bother me, because I know how to taunt / switch targets.

The Feast is pretty fun. I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. I do it as a PLD and generally call out tactics in party chat and it seems to work well most of the time - telling people to fall back and play defensively if we have the majority of medals in the last minute helps immensely because a match can turn for the worse if someone with heavy medal stacks gets nuked by a limit break.

Though I'd be curious: how do you recognize a good tank in this game?
    @Granyala

Honestly there's a little bit of a gray area. You can obviously tell bad tanks, and you can tell really good tanks, but there's so much distance between really bad and really good that is considered "good enough" that it's really difficult to see who's good. The main way I can tell good vs OK or bad is after playing as one through a dungeon or scenario and understanding the difficulty in pulling groups, grouping them correctly, using CD's when they're supposed to (if they use them at all), timing of abilities....grouping of enemies and the general "feel" of the run. If it goes really smoothly on big pull runs, with no instances of mobs running off to tag the healer (or only for a second while tank establishes threat right after the pull) then it's a good tank. But as I said before, there's a LOT of room between being that good, and being so bad the run is just terrible.

This is why I honestly like playing as all three roles so I can play them all as efficiently and effectively as possible, regardless of the party situation. Knowing how difficult or easy it is as a tank/healer/DPS in some areas will affect how you play those different classes so maybe you wait an extra 2 seconds to begin AoE'ing because you know how difficult it is to hold threat when you tank and see DPS do that, or you know as a healer that when you play DPS you tend to pull aggro on X mob so you pre HoT/ shield when you see that coming, or you know that DPS don't pay attention to ranged vs melee mobs when killing so you ensure to taunt that ranged mob ASAP so it doesn't tag the healer. Etc...

For me, as long as I'm not getting pummeled as a DPS or healer after doing my normal stuff the tank is fine

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the small ones start at 5-6m anyways, so you should be able to get one. And then mediums are 32-35m (cause I bought one at those prices) and large are 75-80m at starting prices. >.>
    From what I heard it depends on your server and how rich it is in aggregate.

Really wished housing wasn't this scarce.

PS: I still want a sky pirate style floating island. :3

PPS: SE should loves teasing us.

Show us awesome sky pirate lair. 99% can't even get a house.

Use Carby in patch notes,

[2.0] The group pose function has been adjusted as follows:
    Pets will now be affected by use of the group pose function.
    * Pets may not appear should you reach the maximum number of participants for using group pose.

-http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c755d756aece79cc9707f5444ad0980ac2b5a39c
    No one can summon one for use in game content pass Lv 30 ...
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I heard it depends on your server and how rich it is in aggregate.

Really wished housing wasn't this scarce.
    Yeah, no idea about other servers. Most I've seen is about 5-6mil for a small and if it is on your server, you could always just stare at the screen and log in immediately after maintenance. >.>

On a hardware/software level I can see why housing is scarce. The method that they do is half instanced and half not. The instanced part is of course the different districts and stuff, the non instanced however is that each instance also holds information on every outside stuff and the information of the interior which does bloat up information as opposed to the usual pure instanced housing.

Now despite saying that, it still sucks, lol.
    PS: I still want a sky pirate style floating island. :3

PPS: SE should loves teasing us.

Show us awesome sky pirate lair. 99% can't even get a house.

Use Carby in patch notes,

No one can summon one for use in game content pass Lv 30 ...
    Yeah... I want a Carbuncle out instead of the weirdo bird thingy. Granted I don't really play SMN but details!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no idea about other servers. Most I've seen is about 5-6mil for a small and if it is on your server, you could always just stare at the screen and log in immediately after maintenance. >.>

On a hardware/software level I can see why housing is scarce. The method that they do is half instanced and half not. The instanced part is of course the different districts and stuff, the non instanced however is that each instance also holds information on every outside stuff and the information of the interior which does bloat up information as opposed to the usual pure instanced housing.

Now despite saying that, it still sucks, lol.

Yeah... I want a Carbuncle out instead of the weirdo bird thingy. Granted I don't really play SMN but details!
    Personally I'm willing to sacrifice "neighbourhoods" if it means housing for everyone. Just keep existing neighbourhoods solely for FC housing use - everyone who has already bought a house will of course have to be evicted; maybe give them cash shop credits as compensation (more than fair if you aske me).
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'm willing to sacrifice "neighbourhoods" if it means housing for everyone. Just keep existing neighbourhoods solely for FC housing use - everyone who has already bought a house will of course have to be evicted; maybe give them cash shop credits as compensation (more than fair if you aske me).
    I think the point of the apartments are for non neighborhood stuff. Should be the same idea of housing but you don't get an outside.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the point of the apartments are for non neighborhood stuff. Should be the same idea of housing but you don't get an outside.
    Actually they can (and should) provide an "outside", as long as it isn't "shared" and is part of the house's instance, it shouldn't be a problem.

Heck, there might actually be benefits! Imagine being able to look out your window and enter your house without a loading screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually they can (and should) provide an "outside", as long as it isn't "shared" and is part of the house's instance, it shouldn't be a problem.

Heck, there might actually be benefits! Imagine being able to look out your window and enter your house without a loading screen.
    Balcony! No really that'd be nice cause we get no balcony D:

15+ Year Old Account
    Public Service Announcement for amateur auctioneers:

You don't need to post stuff you get out of treasure chests, stuff from ventures, stuff you make randomly, stuff you gather, etc. for 20-40% off the lowest price on the MB. It's not going to cause it to sell any faster, and people are just going to undercut you anyway, meaning you're tanking the price of said item.

I've logged on in the morning and adjusted my prices on a piece of HQ leather for 25k. I come back later that evening and that same piece of leather HQ item will have been undercut and undercut and undercut by people who do it several thousand gil at a time and suddenly have it posted for 4k. This is nice if it's like two people just undercutting each other and I can just buy them out and repost, but for items where it's a ton of people, I can't move that much stock for a profit.

It's sad that people destroy item prices, probably unknowingly.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    For me, as long as I'm not getting pummeled as a DPS or healer after doing my normal stuff the tank is fine
    Well, I'm asking that because holding aggro as DRK is rather easy (esp on large AoE pulls) and I was wondering what there is beyond holding threat.
    CDs are self explanatory, you monitor your HP and when it tends to drop too harshly you use one. (Though DRK has so many, that you can have sth running almost all the time)

Then what? DPS done?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You don't need to post stuff you get out of treasure chests, stuff from ventures, stuff you make randomly, stuff you gather, etc. for 20-40% off the lowest price on the MB. It's not going to cause it to sell any faster, and people are just going to undercut you anyway, meaning you're tanking the price of said item.
    Print it on a club and beat it into peoples skulls.

Gaah I hate it if the value of an item drops to almost 0 because some retards do the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    I am looking to raid early in the morning, what server can I find raiding 7am-11am CST? And it needs to be an english speaking server.
    Anyone can comment on this?
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well, I'm asking that because holding aggro as DRK is rather easy (esp on large AoE pulls) and I was wondering what there is beyond holding threat.
    Smoothness of the pulls, speed of the run, positioning of the mobs, etc... It's a very, intangible, kind of esoteric thing. Unlike DPS (unless it's specifically a DPS race/check on a boss) where DPS can perform pretty badly, and still be able t complete a run, or they can blow stuff up really well and have incredible DPS numbers, tanking is mostly pass/fail. There are those that pass with flying colors, and those that just do enough to get a passing grade...result is the same, but you can tell the difference.

Healing is mostly pass/fail too, but there are moments that define bad, good and great healers like being able to save the party from a member failing at a mechanic, or not being able to cope with a bleed effect on a party member, forgetting to heal yourself, not cleansing that debuff ASAP, etc....

All that said, I'm fine as long as the run is done in normal time and is done smoothly. Everything above and beyond that is just icing on the cake.

i would check out gilgamesh. it is the most active raiding server.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    i would check out gilgamesh. it is the most active raiding server.
    I'm not so sure. I rarely see people advertising for raids or for their FC. There are. LOT of people, but it's all too quiet and desolate here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can check here (yeah it's a lot of worlds)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/666-Community