Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warcraft Movie : Dwarves

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. In the recent teaser trailer we got our first real good look at Dwarves in the Warcraft Movie.

[Cant post link due to newbie restrictions, just Youtube it if you need it]

Now it came out awhile ago we might see some High Elves and Dwarves in the background so I was personally a little surprised when this shot rolled around with a Dwarf so close to the camera. Unlike the Orcs though, I can't say I'm personally impressed. From my point of view, the film so far is doing a good adaptation of the orcs by making them look like they could possibly live alongside a live action human cast. The Dwarf however looks like it's right out of a WoW cinematic. Which some might really enjoy but I was hoping they'd adapt a more realistic look. Obviously if this turns into a movie franchise we're going to see a lot more Dwarves in the future, I was hoping they would appear closer to something along the lines of Gimli in Lord of the Rings. The Dwarf in this shot looks like something lifted straight out of the games, rather than adapted for a live action - CGI hybrid movie (ala Avatar).

This by no means turns me off the film, but I can't say based on this one shot I'm a fan of the Dwarf look in the movies so far. This is obviously knit picky though and I wouldn't make a full judgement until I go and see it.

But what are your first impressions of how Dwarves look in this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    This is wow not lord of the rings they are made to look like wow cinematics
    I like the look of the dwarves in the trailer but thats a horrible excuse. "It's supposed to look worse because its based on the game"

7+ Year Old Account
    it doesn't look bad at all.
    this is just exactly how a warcraft dwarf is supposed to look like.
    this isn't lotr

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    That Dwarf is what you call a warcraft universe dwarf. I personally love how he's made, as well, not made to look like the other more famous ones.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The orcs look less like Warcraft orcs, the dwarf seems at least okish to me. Maybe when put next to a live actor it looks a bit off. But almost any CGI would look off in that case. (Not saying the CGI is amazing in my eyes though)

Quote Originally Posted by Grofatso View Post
    The orcs look less like Warcraft orcs, the dwarf seems at least okish to me. Maybe when put next to a live actor it looks a bit off. But almost any CGI would look off in that case. (Not saying the CGI is amazing in my eyes though)
    Garona looks way too much like a human wearing green paint and fangs. I understand she is a half breed, but she looks like someone a basic cosplayer could pull off.

LotR had a man in a dwarf costume that looks like a good cosplay:

The Warcraft movie has a fantasy dwarf that looks like another species that is NOT a human in a costume.

To me that looks much more like fantasy than the cosplay spectacle LotR was. The only problem I see is, that the humans don't look like Warcraft humans (long arms, big hand, big feet, small head, bodybuilder) but well like real humans. That's makes the human actors stick out too much. They should have used CGI to make the humans look similar to this one:
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-03-19 at 06:28 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. In the recent teaser trailer we got our first real good look at Dwarves in the Warcraft Movie.

Now it came out awhile ago we might see some High Elves and Dwarves in the background so I was personally a little surprised when this shot rolled around with a Dwarf so close to the camera. Unlike the Orcs though, I can't say I'm personally impressed. From my point of view, the film so far is doing a good adaptation of the orcs by making them look like they could possibly live alongside a live action human cast. The Dwarf however looks like it's right out of a WoW cinematic. Which some might really enjoy but I was hoping they'd adapt a more realistic look. Obviously if this turns into a movie franchise we're going to see a lot more Dwarves in the future, I was hoping they would appear closer to something along the lines of Gimli in Lord of the Rings. The Dwarf in this shot looks like something lifted straight out of the games, rather than adapted for a live action - CGI hybrid movie (ala Avatar).

This by no means turns me off the film, but I can't say based on this one shot I'm a fan of the Dwarf look in the movies so far. This is obviously knit picky though and I wouldn't make a full judgement until I go and see it.

Agreed. The problem isn't how they look. It just feels there is quite a bit of contrast compared to live people. Never seen LOTR myself, so I wouldn't be able to make a comparison.

Yeah, after seeing the orcs and now the dwarf, I feel like this whole movie should have been animated or complete CGI. The problem with all movies so far is no matter how good the CGI is and how far technology has come, when put side by side with something real it's just so obviously fake. Even with "young Jeff Bridges" in Tron or award winning Avatar, it still has that quality that it's not really there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post

The Warcraft movie has a fantasy dwarf that looks like another species that is NOT a human in a costume.

To me that looks much more like fantasy than the cosplay spectacle LotR was. The only problem I see is, that the humans don't look like Warcraft humans (long arms, big hand, big feet, small head, bodybuilder) but well like real humans. That's makes the human actors stick out too much. They should have used CGI to make the humans look similar to this one:
    Yup, agree with you.

And a +1 for using the last screenshot, it is my favorite scene of that cinematic. Hehe.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    The orcs look like Warcraft orcs so why are you surprised that the dwarfs look loke Warcraft dwarfs?
    It's like Kyros already said, the exotic races look perfectly fine, it's the humans that stick out.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not that the style is bad, it just seems like the textures just aren't up to par. I mean, look at the orc's skin. It looks very well done and close to real skin. The dwarf's skin looks waxy or plastic and overall just not as high quality as the orcs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post

All I can say Is, when I saw the dwarf I went "I'm yer shooter!" and hoped he'd say that In the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still think this utube is funnier then the intro of WoD one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jon4GV1u3uM

The CG in the Hobbit movies is pretty bad too, the problem is that CGI is not yet far along developed enough to replace live action without looking out of place and the more it's used the more it sticks out, it's used a hell of a lot in both The Hobbit films and Warcraft. It sticks out a lot less in the Lord of the Rings because it's used more sparingly, even though the CG at the time was terrible.

As for the Dwarf, he looks like a Warcraft dwarf in CGI... No worse looking than a plastic looking CG Billy Connolly.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

The Dwarves look fake and cartoony imo
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Perhaps I should clarify. Yes, the Dwarf in this shot, DOES look like a Warcraft Dwarf. The problem I'm seeing is, it looks like one straight out of the game. The Humans are obviously different because they're played by live action actors, and the Orcs have been changed as well. The movie has it's own spin on the Warcraft style, my problem with the Dwarf is that it still looks like it was ripped straight from the video games.

When I made the comparison to Lord of the Rings, I didn't mean I expected them all the look like Gimli, but I was expecting somewhere in the middle between that and WoW. Considering Dwarves are going to be seen alongside live action Humans a lot, it stands out when they look so plastic and pretend. Personally, I would have thought they'd do heavy prosthetics in future movies, ala some of the main Dwarves in the Hobbit. I wasn't actually expecting to see one up close in this one.

Travis Fimmel next to a CGI Dwarf almost ripped straight from the game is the issue here. It looks jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post

totally agree that it is the humans that look out of place in every shot

Deleted
    The only thing that is wrong with the movie is real live human cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    The only thing that is wrong with the movie is real live human cast.

Exactly my thoughts, entire movie should be CGI.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria