Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I mean yeah, obviously you had utility like teleport bound and you needed meteor because of Hell difficult immunes (which was a horrific mechanic, man if people had to deal with that today...)
    Ahh yes, there's no way a game could survive today with some sort of thing that you couldn't solo, but required you to play in a group in order to deal with...

Of course, there were plenty of single element sorcs in D2, some only ran areas where immunes were rare, some only played in groups, some just let their merc handle immunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Ahh yes, there's no way a game could survive today with some sort of thing that you couldn't solo, but required you to play in a group in order to deal with...

Of course, there were plenty of single element sorcs in D2, some only ran areas where immunes were rare, some only played in groups, some just let their merc handle immunes.
    IIRC only Hammerdins and maybe a few other builds didn't have to worry about it because Magic damage counted as no particular school.

I remember mostly teleporting around every 4th monster pack! So horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Frozen orb has a short cd and if you didn't use teleport + static against hell monsters on multiplayer your killing power sucked. Obviously 1.10+ since you're talking sinergies, and not before when frozen orb didn't have a cd.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not talking to you personally now.

I've got so many 'maybes' and 'I think so' about the left mouse click. Turns out it's all clueless bullshit, you can't. You can't bind click to move to LMB. You can't bind corpse spiders to something else than the basic attack, which is LMB. I got close to what I want by removing corpse spiders from LMB and having only basic melee attack on it, but then this game doesn't have another skillslot where I can actually put corpse spiders on. Is this really 2016?
    Do you have elective mode enabled?

IIRC only Hammerdins and maybe a few other builds didn't have to worry about it because Magic damage counted as no particular school.

I remember mostly teleporting around every 4th monster pack! So horrid.
    There were magic immunes, too, but they were fairly uncommon. The thing was, for awhile, Blessed Hammer itself had a specific property that allowed it to ignore the immunities of demon and undead class monsters, which was every magic immune in game, except for act 3's Wailing Beasts. That later got changed but not enough to make a huge difference(Blessed Hammer was a synergy for Holy Bolt, which continues to ignore the immunities of undead, so they use that against undead, and just avoid or let their merc handle the wailing beasts).

I'm not talking to you personally now.

I've got so many 'maybes' and 'I think so' about the left mouse click. Turns out it's all clueless bullshit, you can't. You can't bind click to move to LMB. You can't bind corpse spiders to something else than the basic attack, which is LMB. I got close to what I want by removing corpse spiders from LMB and having only basic melee attack on it, but then this game doesn't have another skillslot where I can actually put corpse spiders on. Is this really 2016?
    Huh?

Look I'm not even the guy who told you this, but I just went into the game, loaded up my Witch Doctor, bound "Force Move" to K and yes, if I press K the character moves to the mouseclick. And doesn't cast spells on anything at that location.

And it sounds like you have elective mode disabled, which you shouldn't. Ever. I thought they made that on by default now.

P.S. You can also bind Sprint to the LMB, which sort of works, though I don't really recommend it :P

- - - Updated - - -

There were magic immunes, too, but they were fairly uncommon. The thing was, for awhile, Blessed Hammer itself had a specific property that allowed it to ignore the immunities of demon and undead class monsters, which was every magic immune in game, except for act 3's Wailing Beasts. That later got changed but not enough to make a huge difference(Blessed Hammer was a synergy for Holy Bolt, which continues to ignore the immunities of undead, so they use that against undead, and just avoid or let their merc handle the wailing beasts).
    Yeah I remember that! I also remember the Necro's spell that reduced resists used to break immunities, and you could even use wands that had that spell to break immunes. But I think they changed that. Or maybe they changed it back.

Yeah I remember that! I also remember the Necro's spell that reduced resists used to break immunities, and you could even use wands that had that spell to break immunes. But I think they changed that. Or maybe they changed it back.
    They still work, but due to how the mechanic works, they don't work on everything. Spells that lower enemy resists, which are the Necromancer's Lower Resist curse(also available on wands, and as a proc on 1 or 2 items), and the paladin Conviction aura(also available on the Infinity runeword), work at 20% effectiveness vs monsters that are completely immune to an element. So if you're using a Wand with lvl 1 Lower Resist(-31 enemy resistance, reduced to -6 vs a full immune) charges, you can break any monster with a Fire/Lightning/Cold/Poison resistance of 105 or less. If the monster has 110 Fire resist, it remains immune if cursed from the wand, but not if cursed by a necromancer with lvl 20 Lower Resist(-62 resists, reduced to -12 enemy resistance against a full immune).

Conviction doesn't affect poison damage, and neither Conviction nor Lower Resist affect Magic Immunity. Neither affect Physical Immunity either, but those immunities can be removed(using a different formula) by Decrepify or Amplify Damage.

Gear with the mod -X enemy resistance(likewise the sorceress' Cold Mastery) do not work against enemies fully immune to an element, but if you remove their immunity, those mods take full effect. Thus if you have a Lvl 1 Lower Resist wand, and -20 Enemy Fire Resist on your gear, any enemy that is not Fire Immune will take damage as if their fire resistance was 51 points less than it actually is. If they have a Fire resist of 106, they take no damage, cause the wand only lowers it to 100%, still full immune, meaning the -20 Fire Resist mod does not take effect. If the monster had 105 fire resist, the curse would bring it down to 99 fire resist, enabling the -20 Fire Res gear to kick in, dropping the monster to an effective resist of 79% against your fire attacks.

Most Cold and many Fire immune monsters have such high resists that they cannot be broken even by a paladin with lvl 25 Conviction(-150 res, reduced to -30 vs a full immune), while most Lightning Immune monsters have low enough resists to be broken by a lvl 12 Conviction(-85 res, reduced to -17 vs full immunes), hence explaining why Lightning Sorcs are so incredibly powerful in PvE. Non immunes melt to them already, and if you get an Infinity merc, there's nothing you can't kill outside of an occasional unique monster spawn(if you meet one of those, you'll have to Teleport past it or let your merc handle it ).

Ah yes, I remember they made it needlessly complicated! All to preserve a mechanic that sucked...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    d3 is in the best state its ever been, i'd highly recommend playing sesonal hero. Even if you dont give a shit about ranking in greater rifts (like me) you can still have alot of fun doing set dungeons for all classes.
    I totally agree. I haven't had this much fun playing Diablo 3 since it's launch.

Ah yes, I remember they made it needlessly complicated! All to preserve a mechanic that sucked...
    The mechanic didn't bother me, really. Okay, it sucked when I first discovered immunities, but afterwardsw, I considered countering that mechanic just another part of building my character, and accepting that if I was playing a single element toon, I'd have to rely on my merc a lot(or use an Infinity merc, in the case of single element lightning builds), or limit myself to certain areas or playing in parties.

It was like, playing a physical damage dealer like a Zealot or Werewolf druid, how do I counter Physical Immunes? Do I spend some points on Vengeance for the pally or Fire Claws/Rabies for druid? Do I get an act 3 caster merc(I never went this route, but it's theoretically an option)? Does my planned gear setup provide a lot of elemental damage/Open Wounds from its own mods, or if not, do I bring a high elemental damage setup on my weapon swap? What about getting something that has charges of(or a chance to cast) Amp Damage or Decrepify?

Why would I want to bind 'Force Move' to K? Why does it sound like I have elective mode disabled? Come on, just do in game what I want to do and tell me in 1-2-3-4 simple steps what to click.
    The K was obviously an example... I don't know exactly what you want, why don't you just experiment with it?

And yes, toggle elective mode on if it's off. That's what stops you assigning any spell to any slot.

Deleted
    D3 is now so much fun it's criminal. Seriously they fixed tons of things, balanced pretty much everything and are trying to create more viable endgame sets, you might get first 10 ranks with meta build but top 1000 is now surprisingly full of different builds (like 2-4 i think) so yeah, more viable specs! No more AH, smartass loot because it still drops useless crap for different class because it's not 100% But still nice.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I understand your frustration Helltrixz, a "classic" mode control scheme would have been welcome. However, I feel times have changed and many gamers have a mouse with several side buttons - these are great options for Force Move. I think it is superior in many ways but this is all opinion. I guess my point is that I think you should give it another shot if that's your only reason for not playing D3. I think D2 is superior in a lot of ways but D3 is still a great game and I think you should give it a fair chance
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    D3 is now so much fun it's criminal. Seriously they fixed tons of things, balanced pretty much everything and are trying to create more viable endgame sets, you might get first 10 ranks with meta build but top 1000 is now surprisingly full of different builds (like 2-4 i think) so yeah, more viable specs! No more AH, smartass loot because it still drops useless crap for different class because it's not 100% But still nice.
    Agreed. I bought D3 on launch, and was bored and done with the game within a couple of weeks, especially with the abomination of the real money auction house. Loot 2.0 was what brought me back, and it's been engaging ever since. I don't play all day every day, so I never get burned out too fast. Seasons keep it interesting - at least to get the portrait, gear, and pet. I don't care about "OMG TORMENT XXXXXXXIV PARAGON 9000" level play - it's good for those who chase the ladder, but I'm not one of them, and honestly, zero interest in group play. If I want to be a utility class, I'll go back to MMOs - I like seeing how far I can get solo.

Back when I was obsessed with Diablo II, I liked to just pick a level, and go see what drops. D3 is exactly that. The bounties are fun, and I can even get into rifts from time to time for the challenge. I love that I can play with talents, and don't have to use cookie cutter builds - I don't think I've ever looked up D3 builds, I don't need to. My wizard might have a weird mix of talents, but it works for me, and I don't die often, and if I want to improve dps or survivability or whatever, I can test new things with no penalty. I wanted runes back, but that's covered now between legendary gems and the cube. The whole "HAHAHAHAH I just killed the whole room!" feeling is back.

The only thing I wish they'd do more of is the funny drops, like the hamburger dagger, and the farty/smelly pants.

Deleted
    Diablo II has mods for it. Diablo III does not because hey, always-online DRM. Why everything has to be stored on the god damn servers nowadays.

Go play this if you liked Diablo II
    http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Or go for the Ultimative version, which was picked up by MarcoNecroX after BrotherLaz quit the development.

I played hundreds of hours in this mod. It's a total conversion, swapping all skills in the game. Bow druid, poison sorc, melee sorc, melee necro, crossbow necro and more.

D2 has more varied gameplay than D3.

D3 is about running bounties / rifts / grifts, plus some gambling of blood shards. I think its actually a pretty good system. But I don't think there is enough there to make a complete game.

D2 has a lot of variety:

1. Baal runs to 99 plus drops.
    2. collect keys and do uber tristram runs for torches.
    3. hell trav runs for runes.
    4. hell hellforge rushing for runes.
    5. hell lower kurast chest runs for runes.
    6. nm flayer jungle runs for skiller charms.
    7. gold runs to gamble.
    8. cube recipes

My favorite was always hell hellforge runs because it felt the least repetitive and forced you to actually play the game from lvl 1 up to hell (as long as you did not get a rush). I REALLY like that gameplay.

If I could make a change to d3, I add more game modes that rewarded playthroughs of the entire game from level 1. The worst thing about D3 currently is you can hit level 70 in like 30 minutes and skip all the regular game and just into bounty mode. That makes it way too shallow of a video game for me.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    D2 has more varied gameplay than D3.

D3 is about running bounties / rifts / grifts, plus some gambling of blood shards. I think its actually a pretty good system. But I don't think there is enough there to make a complete game.

D2 has a lot of variety:

1. Baal runs to 99 plus drops.
    2. collect keys and do uber tristram runs for torches.
    3. hell trav runs for runes.
    4. hell hellforge rushing for runes.
    5. hell lower kurast chest runs for runes.
    6. nm flayer jungle runs for skiller charms.
    7. gold runs to gamble.
    8. cube recipes

My favorite was always hell hellforge runs because it felt the least repetitive and forced you to actually play the game from lvl 1 up to hell (as long as you did not get a rush). I REALLY like that gameplay.

If I could make a change to d3, I add more game modes that rewarded playthroughs of the entire game from level 1. The worst thing about D3 currently is you can hit level 70 in like 30 minutes and skip all the regular game and just into bounty mode. That makes it way too shallow of a video game for me.
    Yeah right.

In reality most players spent 40% of their play time in Baal's room and 40% creating games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    ^ this.

In D3 you can only have 6 spells max at the same time. Also D3 multiplayer is limited to 4 players. The game has clearly been designed to be ported to consoles, which resulted in a dumbed down version of D2.

Oh and itemization is terrible.
    Please explain how itemization is terrible compared to D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Yeah right.

In reality most players spent 40% of their play time in Baal's room and 40% creating games.
    Baal runs are certainly what many people do, but if you don't believe people spent tons of time doing MF runs(and not just Baal), I seriously wonder what version of D2 you were playing...

15+ Year Old Account
    Baal runs are certainly what many people do, but if you don't believe people spent tons of time doing MF runs(and not just Baal), I seriously wonder what version of D2 you were playing...
    Alright then. Include 'teleporting around' in the game creating time and it's quite accurate.

Diablo 3 is fun and not a bad game at all, but it lacks "staying power", you get bored fast.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Diablo 3 is fun and not a bad game at all, but it lacks "staying power", you get bored fast.
    I think Blizzard is working proactively to make it this way. With seasons and people returning every once in a while but constantly returning, the game stays relevant.

I don't think they had many other solutions, D3 now covers the niche of the casual "hit'n'run" game.

EDIT: also, if that means we get steady updates and new content consistently, i'm okay with that.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2016-03-30 at 09:31 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.