Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Linus tech tips mentioned this board a while back, great alternative to buying a normal Skylake chip.
    Its reasonably priced too! Are there any other options to this board from asrock/msi/gigabyte etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Its reasonably priced too! Are there any other options to this board from asrock/msi/gigabyte etc?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...27%20601184500

my 2500k refuses to die lol.
    They're robust little beasts. Have mine running on a 24/7 4.5ghz OC on air, since, 2011, 2012? Havent changed the voltage from stock. Can't justify upgrading it hah.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Very cool. Lets be clear to the people paying attention in this thread, xeon's are cheaper because they dont have onboard video but you get the benefits of a hyperthreaded quad core.

Very glad i stumbled upon this thread as i had no idea a select number of 1151 motherboards supported skylake xeons, credit due to bigvizz

Edit: My only question would be does CPU cooler compatibility vary with this c232 variation of the 1151 socket?
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-18 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    Very cool. Lets be clear to the people paying attention in this thread, xeon's are cheaper because they dont have onboard video but you get the benefits of a hyperthreaded quad core.

Edit: My only question would be does CPU cooler compatibility vary with this c232 variation of the 1151 socket?
    You have to be carefull there. The cheaper 1151 xeons do not have HT! I think starting at the 1230 V5 they have HT.

C232 is just the chipset, the socket is the same. I would assume every cooler would fit. Seeing as coolers are listed by socket and not chipset

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You have to be carefull there. The cheaper 1151 xeons do not have HT! I think starting at the 1230 V5 they have HT.

C232 is just the chipset, the socket is the same. I would assume every cooler would fit. Seeing as coolers are listed by socket and not chipset
    Ya i definitely should have mentioned that, 1230 v5 is the first skylake xeon that supports HT. Although id suggest the 1240 v5 as its 400mhz faster for 15 bucks more, while being nearly 100 bucks cheaper than a 6700k.

As for heatsink question, ya most times a socket is universal but there are occasions where you can have a certain socket but different mounting brackets (2011 had some variations iirc).
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-18 at 05:22 PM.

I just wanted to briefly expand on something that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Video editing, etc., will ABSOLUTELY take advantage of multi-core/multi-threading, and will also benefit from an overclocked processor. If you don't plan on overclocking, the i7 equivalent xeon will do just fine. I did this for my production company's little mini itx rig we haul around with us for editing on the go. I also wanted to mention to anyone reading that has video editing in mind, you're going to want an nvidia card if you're editing with adobe. This allows you to use the leverage of the mercury playback engine (co developed by nvidia and adobe).

Another point I didn't see made is about your hard drive. Read/write speeds can be a bigger bottleneck than anything else for video editing particularly. Although a SSHD is faster than a conventional drive, the idea that it gives you the speed of a SSD with the capacity of a conventional drive is nonsense. It's faster, but nowhere near as fast as a SSD. I would pick up even a small SSD (ideally a bigger one so you can also edit off of it), and a 1-2TB HDD.

I do all sorts of freelance video production, and my day job is in post-production for one of the biggest sports networks in the country. If anyone has more questions on the topic feel free to ask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by essem91 View Post
    I just wanted to briefly expand on something that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Video editing, etc., will ABSOLUTELY take advantage of multi-core/multi-threading, and will also benefit from an overclocked processor. If you don't plan on overclocking, the i7 equivalent xeon will do just fine. I did this for my production company's little mini itx rig we haul around with us for editing on the go. I also wanted to mention to anyone reading that has video editing in mind, you're going to want an nvidia card if you're editing with adobe. This allows you to use the leverage of the mercury playback engine (co developed by nvidia and adobe).

Another point I didn't see made is about your hard drive. Read/write speeds can be a bigger bottleneck than anything else for video editing particularly. Although a SSHD is faster than a conventional drive, the idea that it gives you the speed of a SSD with the capacity of a conventional drive is nonsense. It's faster, but nowhere near as fast as a SSD. I would pick up even a small SSD (ideally a bigger one so you can also edit off of it), and a 1-2TB HDD.

I do all sorts of freelance video production, and my day job is in post-production for one of the biggest sports networks in the country. If anyone has more questions on the topic feel free to ask.
    So, am I right in thinking that your company's ITX rig is a little something like this, in terms of cost?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-92HA3 48.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ Directron)
    Motherboard: ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($466.39 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1381.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 17:39 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    So, am I right in thinking that your company's ITX rig is a little something like this, in terms of cost?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-92HA3 48.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ Directron)
    Motherboard: ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($466.39 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1381.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 17:39 EDT-0400
    Something like that. I can't remember if it was the ivy bridge or haswell Xeon. It was honestly a kind of slapped together rig that we can haul around. We spend a lot of time in firehouses and it rides around in an enclosed trailer in a pretty sturdy case. It just has a solid state drive in it and we store everything on portables while on the go. It just has the stock fan and a lower end nvidia card a couple generations old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are Adobe video software really this bad with AMD? I'm asking because Apple only ships computers with AMD GPUs and a big percentage of their consumers are artists or people working in this area.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Adobe is moving towards OpenCL now. Apple is going OpenCL also.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/s...partners/adobe
    http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2...miere-pro.html

By these 2 links I would say OpenCL (which is used for AMD encoding) is quite capable of it.
    Having only witnessed a single video conversion on both nVidia and AMD cards before I got bored (video editing not my thing..) as a comparison both came out fairly equally on I believe CS6 in Premiere Pro ... with the advantage going to the OpenCL card in speed for the exact same output video. (by like 30 seconds out of something like 12 minutes of rendering time)

They compared a R9 280X vs. a GTX 770 in this case using their respective accelerators (CUDA and OpenCL) so yeah... I don't think there's too much difference in them and picking specifically 1 brand for this is pretty useless as both brands are very well supported by Adobe.

Also it wasn't till recently (I believe... correct me if I'm wrong) that nVidia allowed non-Quadro cards to accelerate stuff like Adobe in response to AMD's universal OpenCL access ... so yeah I think you're fine either which way you pick but because of aforementioned reasons if you should pick ITX than the AMD R9 Nano is the undisputed king for your desires having a pretty big lead in OpenCL due to stream processors being a shitton higher in number (used in OpenCL acceleration) than the R9 390X even.

Also previous Chipsets allowed Xeon's to be ran on them even if they weren't officially supported they worked.
    It wasn't untill Skylake that Intel dictated that no more Xeons would be allowed to run on consumer chipsets.

Also Xeons deffo weren't server only in the past .. they were in fact built and designed for WorkStations originally due to ECC requirements and stability on a computer world which had a lot to be desired in not crashing a lot.
    They were later adapted to server positions due to obvious reasons (not heating up an office was one of them).
    I remember having an IBM (I cannot for the life of me remember the model) desktop which had a 400MHz Xeon CPU in it.

I'm not sure if there are any real benchmarks out there regarding premiere pro with an R9 Fury (X) or Nano vs. a GTX Titan X, GTX 980 Ti or GTX 980 but I'd be interested in seeing them if people know where to look.

From what i've seen, most people using apple are using it for adobe software. Final cut pro, etc. I haven't worked in a mac environment since using final cut pro 7 in high school. My company has moved to a windows environment entirely for post production and everything we do is now premiere. FCP is still used occasionally for a few small things (like people wanting shit exported in prores for no god damn reason). As Remilia mentioned, OpenCL is closing the gap and CUDA is slowly dropping off the map, but last I read into it nVidia still had the edge working in adobe. I could be wrong though. I honestly don't know the exact hardware in the system I use at work. I work off of a KVM switch connected via fiber to the actual machine. As saavy as I am the scale and the throughput of the stuff we work with is mindblowing and I get lost pretty quick. Our new SAN is something like 4 petabytes just for what footage we keep 'online' let alone everything that's archived. The actors that facilitate transfers between our SAN and archive have dual 28 cores alone I believe (might be the step or two down). The sad part is 99% of our content is still broadcast at 720p....
    Last edited by essem91; 2016-03-21 at 07:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just asked because it's stupid to support CUDA when you can do the same with OpenCL which is, like its name says, open and doesn't lock you into one hardware manufacturer. And Adobe knows it, even if using CUDA might make one of their partners happy.

Apple did the right thing by ditching Nvidia, even if not because they have a better mentality... They could very well have adopted Vulkan instead of porting Metal to OSX. But well whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I just asked because it's stupid to support CUDA when you can do the same with OpenCL which is, like its name says, open and doesn't lock you into one hardware manufacturer. And Adobe knows it, even if using CUDA might make one of their partners happy.

Apple did the right thing by ditching Nvidia, even if not because they have a better mentality... They could very well have adopted Vulkan instead of porting Metal to OSX. But well whatever.
    I agree 100%. I've been an nvidia fan for years but purely because they have the best software support, but more competition and open source is always the better option. I'd love to have a bigger selection of cards to choose from. My first card was an ATI and even going back to gaming it's a shame nvidia has so many developers locked into their technology.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm... small update as if Linus heard us in this matter.

AMD vs Nvidia for Video Rendering - Adobe Premiere and Media Encoder

Though it's a VERY general "benchmark" it does show basics as long as you can get past the nVidia ass-kissing Linus does.