Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
    nearly every wrestler IS a serious athlete. Or are you the type of person who thinks they somehow develop those muscles and learned how to safely perfect those moves overnight?

this is coming from someone who is not a fan of wrestling btw. They put in a serious amount of hard work to do what they do.
    Agreed just because its not a real sport does not make what they do not insanely atheletic and requiring a great deal of skill and ability. It would be far easier to accidentally kill/maim their opponents with some of what they do than to actually pull the blows and the other crazy stunts they do. If you read any of the backstory almost all the pro wrestlers suffer numerous bad injuries during their carriers equal to that of any pro athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Athor View Post
    Well it's a new type of case for the new age. So its actually good that finally courts have realised crybullying is a thing, and are punishing it.
    Wait you think this case had something to do with "SJWs"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The internet told me cyberbullying was fake and I should just exit my browser because only SJWs cry about it. Now I'm being told it's real and awful and SJWs are to blame. I'm so confused.
    Listen Nixx they're only words and you should get over them and they're literally shutting down speech by using them, those fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's almost as if... "SJW" has been reduced to meaninglessness, a hollow word meant to give raw emotion the appearance of substance and specificity, hiding the fact that the one who wields it is merely angrily shouting at nothing.
    reduced to?

So everyone keeps saying this will kill Gawker, but can they really not afford $115m? I'd be glad if them and all their sister sites went under but that doesn't seem like a large enough sum to accomplish that?

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    So everyone keeps saying this will kill Gawker, but can they really not afford $115m? I'd be glad if them and all their sister sites went under but that doesn't seem like a large enough sum to accomplish that?
    Given the popularity of a lot of their sites I'd be surprised if a lot of them actually went away if the company itself went down. Kotaku, Io9, among others, would probably get bought by other outlets.

That said they've apparently been raising money just in case, especially since they expected to lose in court and Florida has insane laws about having to point bonds in instances like these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I think they even said so themselves a few months back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's put up one thing. Hulk Hogan winning this case is not a win for free speech. I don't know who the hell said that and I'm not gonna read through the first seven pages to find it. They're a moron. It's the opposite. It's Hulk Hogan's right to Privacy vs. Gawker's freedom of the press. Is a video of Hulk Hogan having sex with Bubba the Love Sponge's wife newsworthy?

FUCK NO IT IS NOT. He did not know he was being filmed. And it was highly likely that one of Bubba's employees leaked the tape. It's open and shut. Gawker is going to appeal with what exactly? That Hogan banging his friend's wife is worthy of being on a news site? I don't think the judge is going to be convinced Denton sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Let's put up one thing. Hulk Hogan winning this case is not a win for free speech. I don't know who the hell said that and I'm not gonna read through the first seven pages to find it. They're a moron. It's the opposite. It's Hulk Hogan's right to Privacy vs. Gawker's freedom of the press. Is a video of Hulk Hogan having sex with Bubba the Love Sponge's wife newsworthy?

FUCK NO IT IS NOT. He did not know he was being filmed. And it was highly likely that one of Bubba's employees leaked the tape. It's open and shut. Gawker is going to appeal with what exactly? That Hogan banging his friend's wife is worthy of being on a news site? I don't think the judge is going to be convinced Denton sorry.
    Their argument is that relevant evidence wasn't allowed. Namely that there is evidence Hogan knew he was being taped and that he said a lot of racist stuff on the tape. The first would damage his claims of a reasonable expectation of privacy and the second would bolster Gawker's claim that the tape is newsworthy as a public figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Their argument is that relevant evidence wasn't allowed. Namely that there is evidence Hogan knew he was being taped and that he said a lot of racist stuff on the tape. The first would damage his claims of a reasonable expectation of privacy and the second would bolster Gawker's claim that the tape is newsworthy as a public figure.
    The tape was put up because he was having sex with Bubba's wife through and through. It was meant to be a clickbait article. And it is a BIG clickbait article. Gawker does not run ads on NSFW articles. They're just meant to get you onto the site. They only put up more of the tape that lead to the allegations of racism because of the threat of him suing them.

The tape was put up because he was having sex with Bubba's wife through and through. It was meant to be a clickbait article. And it is a BIG clickbait article. Gawker does not run ads on NSFW articles. They're just meant to get you onto the site. They only put up more of the tape that lead to the allegations of racism because of the threat of him suing them.
    You asked the question and you got the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You asked the question and you got the answer.
    I know what they're going to try to do already. Denton is already grasping at straws which is why he lost the initial case. They were court ordered before to take down the tape too but they didn't.

I know what they're going to try to do already. Denton is already grasping at straws which is why he lost the initial case. They were court ordered before to take down the tape too but they didn't.
    "Relevant evidence wasn't allowed" is hardly grasping at straws.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Relevant evidence wasn't allowed" is hardly grasping at straws.
    I'd love to see what this evidence is. But I doubt it's anything more than a bunch of bullshit. Unless they grab an interview somewhere where Hogan says he knew he was being filmed or something like that I can't see this happening. The racism stuff is negligent. They should have put that as the headline when the article came out.

I'd love to see what this evidence is. But I doubt it's anything more than a bunch of bullshit. Unless they grab an interview somewhere where Hogan says he knew he was being filmed or something like that I can't see this happening. The racism stuff is negligent. They should have put that as the headline when the article came out.
    I just told you what it was.....You might not think much of it but that doesn't mean that its exclusion isn't grounds for appeal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    [url]Gawker BTFO, everybody dance and celebrate.

I'm having an erection right now.

Why do you need to publish a sex tape to report on it?

You can run the story just fine without hosting the video.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Why do you need to publish a sex tape to report on it?

You can run the story just fine without hosting the video.
    I'm not sure courts care or should care about that question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    This is straw-manning my post into something that I didn't say, and straw-manning me into something I am not. If you are to criticize someone, make sure you get their position right.

Since my last post clearly was too long, I'll give you the TLDR:
    - Shutting down a press agency is bad for the principle of a free press.
    - The court ruling is effectively shutting down a press agency.
    - Gawker is in the wrong in this case, both morally and legally, and should have shown better judgement.
    - By not showing better judgement, they directly weakened the position of the free press.
    - I do not think they worry one bit about the precedent they just invited, as their entire agency is bullying under the guise of journalism.
    - Thus I wish them to crash and burn, and their successor to do better.

A free press is supposed to be fourth estate. We want journalists to go above and beyond what is politically uncontroversial, in order to dig up the truth. When that truth is inconvenient for the powers that be, the principles of the free press is supposed to protect the journalists. Journalists must be allowed this power. But that also means journalists must be responsible with this power. Serious press agencies have journalistic ethics standards, to avoid court cases just like this one to ever happen.
    Journalism is dead, or this would have never happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAct...mers_are_dead/

I'm not sure courts care or should care about that question.
    They should care about it for both privacy reasons and freedom of speech reasons.

"Namely that there is evidence Hogan knew he was being taped and that he said a lot of racist stuff on the tape."
    This is worth reporting. People generally like to know if someone that some might consider a role model is actually a racist.

Publishing sex tapes without the permission of the participants is a huge problem, and is not necessary for the first point to be proven.

Even if you're just after celebrity gossip you don't need to publish the video, just state that it exists.