Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What car part is this called?

This part on the front of my car got damaged but have no idea what to search for to get a replacement. It is a ford fiesta 2009 if that helps. Also do I really need to replace it, or can I just tear it off and be care free?

Bumper?

I don't know anything about cars but want to see if I get it right. =>

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like its just a trim strip (cosmetic) judging by the clips and the shape off the front bumper.

Most likely there to act as maybe a scuff guard for the underside of the bumper.

Hmm, you're probably fine without it...

Flux Capacitor....jk

Looks like a trim strip of a rear bumper

Bumper skirt I believe.

Air dam is what I've always heard them called.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Flux Capacitor....jk

Looks like a trim strip of a rear bumper
    This sorta, for aerodynamics and to keep you from running shit over that you shouldn't run over, makes a noise, letting you know if you continue your oil pan is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Bumper?

I don't know anything about cars but want to see if I get it right. =>
    You are correct.

Deleted
    Defo not the bumper, that's as far as my car knowledge goes ^^, the bumper is at the front and back of the car to dampen small collisions, this is literally underneath the front of the car. Very weird part though... A scuff guard sounds to make the most sense to me.

I think it's the part where you realize you should have bought a real car instead of a domestic "car" held together by imagination and hours of inexperienced engineering.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    I think it's the part where you realize you should have bought a real car instead of a domestic "car" held together by imagination and hours of inexperienced engineering.
    This had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Technically it's a lower air dam. Could also be called a front bumper lip. About $100 part. I cant really tell from the photos but it looks like your clips are intact, you may be able to just reattach it.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its an Air Damn or some places will call it Front Lower Lip

It's designed to deflect air underneath your car. To reduce undercarriage drag. You don't have to have it. Most 4x4 truck owners remove theirs to get better clearance. The only negative effect it may have on your car would be reduce your fuel economy some.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    This had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Doesn't make my statement any less factual.

bumper lip or skirt

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    It looks like its just a trim strip (cosmetic) judging by the clips and the shape off the front bumper.

Most likely there to act as maybe a scuff guard for the underside of the bumper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    This sorta, for aerodynamics and to keep you from running shit over that you shouldn't run over, makes a noise, letting you know if you continue your oil pan is next.
    Combination of both. Just looking at how vulnerable the underside of that vehicle makes me shiver at how much potential damage parking the front of the vehicle too close to the curb might occur.
    If you're careful, you can live without it.
    If you're a bit paranoid (like myself) you'll want to get that fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Car parts can have a number of names. That could also be called a "splash guard". If you really want to find the name of the part, just go to a parts website and look at a diagram. For GM cars I can go to gmpartsdirect.com and look through drawings of parts until I find it. I would also find the part number as well. The drawings aren't well done sometimes, but this should show up.