Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    I hope that the US switches from being a voluntary military service to being conscripted, much like Israel. I think ALL US citizens should be required to serve for at least 2 years. I don't care if you are gay or a 130pd asthmatic, you should be required to serve your country.

But then again, maybe it is better that it is all volunteer. At least the people that enlist want to be there and actually give a fuck about their country (the majority do.) At least they have some testicular fortitude, unlike those that scorn the military yet reap the benefits of their protection. Kinda like the assholes that protest the cops yet go running to them as soon as someone assaults them.
    I think it should be mandatory, not for any sort of patriotism or need to defend the country, but because Boot Camp alone can really help people, especially just out of high school. It teaches you how to work as a team, self respect, and if they serve 2 years like you mention, then they will potentially have the time to experience the rest of the world, instead of just the town they grew up in. Worldly experience goes a long way in fighting off stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Disqualified for having taken ritlan for ADD from 8-13. It was interesting, I went in, was told to lie, I am thre standing in my skivvies, in front of a guy sitting below a sign that says "lying to these questions can result in 5 years and 25k". I was asked point blank "have you taken ritlan for add" while staring into my file. I did what my gut said and was honest. What I remember most was how disappointed all the recruiters were. Like How dare you have honor and honesty. My recruiter didnt speak to me all the way home. It left a bad taste in my mouth, figuring all they cared about was getting bodies signed up, not honor or pride.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Way too weak and not at all interested in it.

Which part of dying in Iraq is dying for your family?
    It's not.

When it came to my service in Iraq, it was more about keeping the guy to my left and right alive. I was a NCO so my direct responsibility was for their lives first, mine second and equipment third.

Soldiers don't get a say in where they go, how they go, or what the missions will be. Even if you don;t agree with the mission, you still feel a responsibility to keep your brothers in arms safe and bring them back home to their families.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Let me clarify....your community.
    I might consider it. I mean, my unwillingness to die really comes down to my unwillingness to die for a lot of people I have nothing to do with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in addition ot my parents probably kidnapping me to another country if I had even tried, Im pretty sure my limited peripheral vision and my anxiety / depression would have kept me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Blowing up poor people doest serve any country.
    Saddam and his goons certainly weren't poor.

Depends on the severity.
    Well, I have to do like a 3 mile run at ~ 6 minute pace before it starts showing up so I guess it's probably minor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually went to the physical exam. by myself, but they didn't want me for medical reasons anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I might consider it. I mean, my unwillingness to die really comes down to my unwillingness to die for a lot of people I have nothing to do with.
    Keep in mind, im not criticizing you, just curious on your position.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Disqualified for having taken ritlan for ADD from 8-13. It was interesting, I went in, was told to lie, I am thre standing in my skivvies, in front of a guy sitting below a sign that says "lying to these questions can result in 5 years and 25k". I was asked point blank "have you taken ritlan for add" while staring into my file. I did what my gut said and was honest. What I remember most was how disappointed all the recruiters were. Like How dare you have honor and honesty. My recruiter didnt speak to me all the way home. It left a bad taste in my mouth, figuring all they cared about was getting bodies signed up, not honor or pride.
    That's rather disappointing. Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't upset about it, or at least talked to you in the car. Sorry to hear.

It's not.

When it came to my service in Iraq, it was more about keeping the guy to my left and right alive. I was a NCO so my direct responsibility was for their lives first, mine second and equipment third.

Soldiers don't get a say in where they go, how they go, or what the missions will be. Even if you don;t agree with the mission, you still feel a responsibility to keep your brothers in arms safe and bring them back home to their families.
    That I can understand It's just sad that your country is so willing to throw away soldiers lives on such silly crusades to middle of nowhere :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Well, I have to do like a 3 mile run at ~ 6 minute pace before it starts showing up so I guess it's probably minor.
    LOL, I think anyone would have a hard time breathing if your running 3 miles at a 6 minute mile pace.

Why should I? There is no real credible threat to America. Why should I enlist and go halfway around the world and kill brown people that for all intents and purposes don't exist to me.

Deleted
    Because there isn't world war 3 going on now like Americans seem to believe?

To be perfectly honest, it just didn't really seem important enough to me at the time. Yeah we were at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, but honestly those wars just seemed so distant and disconnected from every day life and from the beginning it almost seemed like a foregone conclusion that we could waltz in there half-cocked and still wipe the floor with them, so I didn't really think the military needed a chubby, nerdy kid to sign up all that badly. Looking back now, there is a degree of regret there, I think the reason those wars dragged on for so long without a decisive outcome was precisely because so many people, especially of military age, were so disconnected from what was happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    That's rather disappointing. Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't upset about it, or at least talked to you in the car. Sorry to hear.
    Yeh it was bizarre. Like clearly the recruiter was upset that I didnt lie. I just remember being quite confused by it.

Under the bridge at this point, that was some 20 years ago, and I have to thank god, because who knows how my life would have gone. Would I have met my wife? Would we still be married with our kids? Things I would not trade.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That I can understand It's just sad that your country is so willing to throw away soldiers lives on such silly crusades to middle of nowhere :/
    Well, don't get me wrong, im glad we overthrew Saddam.

Little personal story. While stationed at Taji, I had a chance to explore Chemical Ali's "compound". You know the place where they were developing chemical weapons.

I got to see some of the torture chambers that they used to test chemical weapons. sloping floors that lead to drainage tubes for blood. Meat hooks for hanging people from the walls...etc etc.

There were still blood stains on the floor.

So I don't regret removing him from power, the sad thing about the middle east though, is that there are always more evil men to take over where someone else left off.

Deleted
    funny, whiile I was in Indonesia helping with Tsunami relief, or Pakistan doing Earthquake relief I didn't shot anyone.
    Didn't shoot anyone in my 2nd or 3rd deployments either.
    Shooting or not, it seems like you have to travel between places quite a bit. Another reason why such a job would never interested me.
    Also, the very rigid, hierarchical structure. I'd get annoyed super quickly by that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    Why should I? There is no real credible threat to America. Why should I enlist and go halfway around the world and kill brown people that for all intents and purposes don't exist to me.
    Most Iraqis could pass for Italians, if you shave the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Wait, that's a thing? I must not have made it even that far, I used to take ritalin as well, so I would have been rejected regardless of my nonexistent asthma