Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Sylv_;39394112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post

Quality, quantity or lack there of, and then blizzard.
    I see we have a fanboy who just enjoys to bend over and do what daddy says because daddy is god.
    gg m8.
    Hahah I love it. When you fail to make an argument you resort to calling me a fanboy. As if I even were one. I don't think claiming Blizzard is the same as other companies makes one a fanboy. If so then I guess I've lost track of the term.

Its too bad you lack substance for us to debate on. Instead you resort to pathetic slander while crying gg. So yes, good game indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Removed was a bad choice of words from my side. I meant changed into a more old fashioned way, like older movies.
    So you wanted them to give this movie the LotR treatment. Armor and weapons real and crafted by actual blacksmiths. Full to scale sets and miniatures if necessary.
    So then you need suits for orcs.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that's one way to look at it, sure. I have no idea what they gain by doing so. It doesn't look wowish, it looks shitty, plain and simple.
    The problem is that Warcraft's version of Orcs is very stylized. You have to stay true to that design (to a certain extent) so that when people see it, they recognize it immediately as WoW.

That being said, as the person you are responding to mentioned. WoW itself and Warcraft has remained very "cartoony" a design choice that is often criticized. So when you bring that to the silverscreen there are going to be elements that are cartoony. Elements that according to physics don't make sense. Oversized weapons, oversized shoulders... the teeth/tusks of orcs.

Ultimately though you have to look at what the movie is trying to accomplish and the vision of directors/producers. Are they shooting for fantastic artistry and showmanship? Like Peter Jackson and LotR? Or are they simply trying to make a fun movie capitalizing on WoW's notoriety?

Also you have to look at source material. LotR had never really been attempted. We got a goofy cartoon for the hobbit...

Bottom line, you could criticize his design if you really wanted to. I am not a film maker, but perhaps there were even scenes that could have used a little more cgi and looked better or the same and been more cost effective?

Bottom line is a design choice/preference isn't really going to make or break the movie. The story will...

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    So you wanted them to give this movie the LotR treatment. Armor and weapons real and crafted by actual blacksmiths. Full to scale sets and miniatures if necessary.
    So then you need suits for orcs.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that Warcraft's version of Orcs is very stylized. You have to stay true to that design (to a certain extent) so that when people see it, they recognize it immediately as WoW.

That being said, as the person you are responding to mentioned. WoW itself and Warcraft has remained very "cartoony" a design choice that is often criticized. So when you bring that to the silverscreen there are going to be elements that are cartoony. Elements that according to physics don't make sense. Oversized weapons, oversized shoulders... the teeth/tusks of orcs.

Ultimately though you have to look at what the movie is trying to accomplish and the vision of directors/producers. Are they shooting for fantastic artistry and showmanship? Like Peter Jackson and LotR? Or are they simply trying to make a fun movie capitalizing on WoW's notoriety?

Also you have to look at source material. LotR had never really been attempted. We got a goofy cartoon for the hobbit...

Bottom line, you could criticize his design if you really wanted to. I am not a film maker, but perhaps there were even scenes that could have used a little more cgi and looked better or the same and been more cost effective?

Bottom line is a design choice/preference isn't really going to make or break the movie. The story will...
    Be real for a moment here. No way are they going to cater to the wow community when making a big production like this. It will be made to draw in as much people as possible and not to alienate those not familiar with the source content. See, i was a wow player (sub running out) and even i didn't know this. I guess i'll just wait and see it in motion properly. Since i'm familiar the basic story they want to show, the design choices might just make or break it for me, as you say.
    Last edited by Stormwolf64; 2016-03-22 at 07:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be real for a moment here. No way are they going to cater to the wow community when making a big production like this. It will be made to draw in as much people as possible and not to alienate those not familiar with the source content. See, i was a wow player (sub running out) and even i didn't know this. I guess i'll just wait and see it in motion properly. Since i'm familiar the basic story they want to show, the design choices might just make or break it for me, as you say.
    I hate to break it to you, but you sound pretty bitter already.

So you think this entire movie is a marketing ploy to get people interested in their mmo? I think that's a huge stretch. I think the marketing campaign for the movie in general is pretty poor. Which leads me to believe that they are relying heavily on fans (past and present) to carry the movie in the box office.

(1) The trailers and marketing doesn't explain very well what is "warcraft" so for someone who has not yet been exposed its not a very compelling story.

(2) For people familiar with the franchise most are being REALLY critical... but good or bad we are still going to see it, so its money in their pocket.

As for the game and whether or not it will get you fired up to keep playing... Legion is the other half of the expansion we SHOULD have got in WoD... so my bet is on you playing it powering through it and hating it more than you do now.

Really though my post that you quoted wasn't advocating a "realistic" depiction or production process but was merely pointing out that the movie just wasn't created for that. Warcraft (which has always had a bit of goofiness to its art) lends itself more to a stylized version (and more appealing to a wider audience) then say a super serious, super realistic, and ultimately darker version.

So if you (as in everyone) still aren't getting it, Warcraft deals with some pretty dark themes, dark in terms of what view the subject matter culturally... its not JUST a fantasy story. There are things like zombies, demons and demon possession, death (blood and gore), sacrifice, soul stealing/rending, the occult, murder, genocide, rape, racism... one way to keep those (very heavy) topics light, is to keep it a little unrealistic (stylized) visually, it makes seeing these topics in action a little less impactful/easier to stomach.

Perhaps this is the kind of realism you were hoping for:

You know when something dies and its immediately a pile of blood and bones.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-03-22 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    You know when something dies and its immediately a pile of blood and bones.
    Heh. I am genuinely curious as to if the movie will have some intended goofiness to it. One of my first toons was an orc, and in the starting area is a quest to go smack the crap out of some lazy peons with a stick and get them back working. The Kobold poster prop eludes to a bit of in-game fun stuff, so I hope it isn't all "RAWR!!" serious.