Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Doesn't seem to always work though, look at NK for example. leave a dictator alone long enough, and not only do they make their own people suffer, they threaten the security of everyone around them.
    Look at the flipside of that though, suppose we did take out the North Korean regime, what exactly would we do with all the people? They are going to be flooding across the border looking for work and it's not like the South Koreans are all that keen on absorbing them. There would be all sorts of fallout that we'd be expected to help handle even though nobody is really equipped to do so.

They didn't want me, when I was to be drafted in Germany, because of ASD, Severe Depression and Nephrotic Syndrom in the past.

I don't believe in killing people that aren't made of pixels

Also, respawn times in real life take too long to risk

When asked if i wanted to serve i said id rather go home and play wow xD

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    No, pretty much not. My mind is set, just expressing it here.

I don't think Saddam ever got close to causing 200 thousand violent deaths and hundreds of thousands more due to famine, diseases and terrible living standards in post-war Iraq, which was all caused by USA. You know what Hitler did? That's right, invading countries without provocation, using forged evidence as cassus belli. Where did Saddam hide his nukes, again?

We have a word for a person that doesn't mind going to war he doesn't agree with or care for. It's mercenary.

I'm from Poland. Poland has been involved in pretty much every NATO mission since it joined it in 90s. Some of them were, unfortunately, aiding USA in destabilizing countries, but we did take part in plenty of humanitarian missions as well. We're doing what we can for a poor country and we certainly do a lot more good than we ever did harm. I won't even mention harboring hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians in recent years.
    1. Good to know, I won't waste to much time or effort trying to convince you otherwise.

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_...ssein%27s_Iraq estimates as to the number of Iraqis killed by Saddam's regime vary from roughly a quarter to half a million, including 50,000 to 182,000 Kurds and 25,000 to 280,000 killed during the repression of the 1991 rebellion. Estimates for the number of dead in the Iran-Iraq war range upwards from 300,000.

Wrong.

3. mer·ce·nar·y (mûr′sə-nĕr′ē)
    adj.
    1. Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain.
    2. Hired for service in a foreign army.
    n. pl. mer·ce·nar·ies
    1. One who serves or works merely for monetary gain; a hireling.
    2. A professional soldier hired for service in a foreign army.

The money was shit, didn't do it for that. I served in the armed forces of my own nation....so....yep, doesn't qualify for the definition.

Wrong again.

4. Poland is practically begging the U.S. to stage military bases to defend the country and train its armed forces. We have already begun to do both.

Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    He also didn't get to choose who we went to war with. Do you know when he joined the military cause I sure don't. He has also made it clear, whether you agree with him or not, he joined to help his country and other people. He has helped woth relief efforts and seems to genuinely care about making a difference.

You should probably be more upset at our government, instead of at supertony.
    No government would be able to destroy other countries if it didn't have people joining the military "to serve the country". I'm not upset at him specifically, he just represents the kind of people that took part in, again, destroying other countries. Willingly or not, in good faith or just for money, none of it matters, it's the effects that matter. And again, I don't know how it works in USA, but in my country you CHOOSE to go to war. Why would you, if you don't agree with the war? I'm guessing we all have our own values and view things differently, that's just my own opinion on wars and it won't change. If they can look in the mirror, I guess it's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Look at the flipside of that though, suppose we did take out the North Korean regime, what exactly would we do with all the people? They are going to be flooding across the border looking for work and it's not like the South Koreans are all that keen on absorbing them. There would be all sorts of fallout that we'd be expected to help handle even though nobody is really equipped to do so.
    Well, I guess we could have went all the way in the orginal conflict, but who knows how that would have turned out.

just making the point that letting a problem sit doesn't necessarily make it any better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Let's be honest here. If altruism was the reason these dictators were ousted we would be all over NK right now, we would have stopped the many genocides that went on in the last 40 years. The moral highground is never the reason military might is projected. There is always an other reason usually economic.
    Won't disagree here. At the end of the day it comes down to politics or money. Been like that for all of Human history.

Deleted
    maybe if you joined a few years ago when iraq was settling down you could have made it through without being deployed to a combat zone.

But now tensions are rising again so it's only a matter of time before boots on the ground situation happens again, and if it lasts a while again, you get into the situation again where they just rotate reserves and whoever they got into there.

And while i'm sure it's true that most soldiers don't personally kill someone, i also find it hard to believe that you won't see some bad shit go down if deployed to a combat zone.

F the military
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

When did 1976 become millenials? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    NK is also supported by China though. Going to war with NK for all the right reasons could arguably make things much worse for everyone. I think that is honestly a big reason why we haven't stepped in as far as NK goes.

He also didn't get to choose who we went to war with. Do you know when he joined the military cause I sure don't. He has also made it clear, whether you agree with him or not, he joined to help his country and other people. He has helped woth relief efforts and seems to genuinely care about making a difference.

You should probably be more upset at our government, instead of at supertony.
    It's a standard reaction, not suprising and at this point, not really worth being offended over.

BTW, im from MD originally, where abouts are ya?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zetharl View Post
    F the military
    No thanks, we have standards

I did. Not that I had much choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    When did 1976 become millenials? O_o
    It didn't, thats still GenX

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I was busy going to college to prepare myself for the rest of my life. There are plenty of people already in the military, and no existential threat to the US. In short, I didn't serve because I didn't need to, and I had plenty of other shit I could be doing that didn't involve me getting shot at (though my career has exposed me to plenty of other life-threatening danger).
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I would have liked to but I think i'd prefer the being in the military for the support and relief aspects like search and rescue/disaster relief rather than the battling aspect. I don't think i'd pass the physical though now i've smoked for way too long.

If it were required for home defence i'd totally sign up for that but things aren't exactly that desperate atm. then again at that point were talking drafts and I don't think you have a choice anyway.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-21 at 06:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I did.

10char

Didn't want to shave my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    I life in a country where everybody (male) is drafted at the age of 18. I didn't serve because there is the option to work as a civil worker, which i did. It was 12 months compared to 8 months military service, and the payment was about half the people in the military get, but i still think it was worth it.

Granted i was chief of the diaper-storage in a home for elderly/sick people, but as my country isn't that engaged in warfare, for my classmates it was mostly drinking alcohol after 4 weeks of training....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I life in a country where everybody (male) is drafted at the age of 18. I didn't serve because there is the option to work as a civil worker, which i did.
    That's still serving.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Low Muscle tone low endurance kinda prevents me and I refuse to kill anyone. I'd rather not serve, thank you.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi