Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well.... It is already pretty much free for a lot of players. The game token is WoWs form of F2P. I think blizzard are pretty happy with how that turned out.

You must be new here. Welcome.

The answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Arialla View Post
    You guys aren't getting the question, they're asking when the expansion will be free, like the previous ones
    You realize that isn't what was asked? He specifically asks when WoD will be free to play, not free to 'buy' and he doesn't specify 'like the previous ones' at all. It's nice you read something else, and you are probably right, but it's not us 'not getting the question', it's him 'not asking it'.

OT: FTP = never. Free with the basic game = at Legion release or a little while after.

It won't ... next question
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

Deleted
    They put in gold for game time, why would they go free?

It might have... but another option became more popular... Free to NOT play. Too many addicts are willing to line up and pay for the drug... but even they are realizing it's becoming cut with too much inert material for them to get their fix.

Blizzard knows dinner is over and is just licking the plate for crumbs at this point. Sad way to watch the game die out.

Too bad they didn't hire Walter White... he knew how to keep his brand on track, the potency of his product high, and make everyone want more and more.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2016-03-22 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It might have... but another option became more popular... Free to NOT play. Too many addicts are willing to line up and pay for the drug... but even they are realizing it's becoming cut with too much inert material for them to get their fix.

Blizzard knows dinner is over and is just licking the plate for crumbs at this point. Sad way to watch the game die out.

Too bad they didn't hire Walter White... he knew how to keep his brand on track, the potency of his product high, and make everyone want more and more.
    Sad to think games worse off seem to be doing fine, yet a game with still over 1 million subscribers is dying out. Not only are they making subscription money, but money from game-shop and tokens.

Popular doesn't make anything good, in most cases, it gets worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aastarius View Post
    It won't ... next question
    Take it from the Dungeon Master.

Deleted
    WoD, not WoW!
    Well, i mean free as a part of Battle chest or a part of base game or how is it called, where all previous expacs are included. I'm not talking about the whole game goes ftp :P So you wont need to buy battle chest + WOD + Legion any more in the future but only base game + Legion.
    As i remember MOP went free several weeks before WoD was released ... That's why i expect same scenario with Legion.
    sory for bad english ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Sad to think games worse off seem to be doing fine, yet a game with still over 1 million subscribers is dying out. Not only are they making subscription money, but money from game-shop and tokens.
    Your house with 12 rooms catches fire and 11 are burned away... "House is still good!"

Deleted
    Even with 1M players it wouldn't go totally F2P.

...extending the trial scheme couldn't hurt though...

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    They could however just ask all the experts on this forums who totally have a clue how MMOs should be done. Strange...not even games like Rift, Wildstar or Aion asked you guys...I mean, those games desperately would have loved to suck up the lost WoW subs. but..wait..maybe they did listen to forums and that is why it went so well for them?
    They couldn't do any worse then what Blizzard has now, a bunch of complacent leads lacking any sort of passion for their craft.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is technically "Free to Play" for those who pay for the tokens. Of course, that's mainly because those who sell said item pays for their playtime, but that's because they have some pocket money and want to earn some gold through legal in-game item trade.

WoW will never, well, maybe on the deathbed, go completely free to play. It's still the most popular MMO in the West and I can't imagine Blizz shutting down the servers after still managing to cash in a few (well, tens of) millions a month.

Edit: Wait.. I might've misunderstood the question. Is it about WoW or the expansion? For instance the merge to the starter accounts, etc? If it is so, then completely ignore what I have written above, but if it's about WoW going F2P, then my comment above stays valid.

Most likely it'll get added once Legion goes live, if not a small delay. Have sincerely no idea about that part, but seeing as MoP is technically "free" now, then yes, it will, eventually.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2016-03-23 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Your house with 12 rooms catches fire and 11 are burned away... "House is still good!"
    My point exactly, only difference is, my house, or yours?

It's possible that they will add it to the battle chest eventually, but for now any answer you get is going to be pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arialla View Post
    You guys aren't getting the question, they're asking when the expansion will be free, like the previous ones
    I think you are correct in suggesting that is what the OP intended; however, that is not what they asked with the wording in their post/title. Having the expansion go free to play and having it included in the bundle are completely different things. If the expansion itself is free but there is a subscription fee, then the game is not "free to play".

To answer what the OP seems to have intended, there is no confirmed date but Blizz is considering the idea of a game bundle, with all expansions, to be given out with tickets to the Warcraft movie. If that idea goes forward then bundles including WoD will be available in at least one form around the time of the movie release.
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2016-03-23 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    They could however just ask all the experts on this forums who totally have a clue how MMOs should be done. Strange...not even games like Rift, Wildstar or Aion asked you guys...I mean, those games desperately would have loved to suck up the lost WoW subs. but..wait..maybe they did listen to forums and that is why it went so well for them?
    Those franchises did suck up the lost WoW subs. As did Black Desert, Blade and Soul, Guild Wars 2, and others.

No.. they SHOULD have listened to THEMSELVES... the 10 year ago versions that were passionate about the game, that still gave a shit, that created honest to God, varied, unique content, who would have laughed out loud at any company releasing a content patch consisting of a Selfie Cam.

The guys that would have said.. "OOOPS that didn;t go over well... chuck it entirely!" Instead of renaming a horrible game mechanic from Garrison to Order Hall and pretend it's ALL NEW.

People used to log into WoW excited... I doubt ANYONE has any real excitement for the game anymore... especially the developers.

I thought the standard rule was 2 expansions in...so the expansion after legion would make wod part of the basic install.

Wow so many clueless people saying no. Blizzard is seriously entertaining the idea of giving WOW away with a movie tkt purchase. No doubt some kind of special promotion will be done in synch with the movie. At the very least WOD will be part of the Battle chest prior to the release of Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Just curious, do you think that Warlords of Draenor will go ftp few weeks or maybe one or two months before Legion release, on the release date or few weeks after it?

Edit: i'm talking about WOD beeing part of battle chest, like MOP became part of it one month before WOD has been released as i remember.

Edit: Also do you think free WoD will include free lvl 90 boost too?
    It won't, It will probably become part of the battle chest but won't make a difference really when garrisons will be changed and are useless

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wod already should be free to play, they aren't adding content monthly (or anything close to that, or really any content at all) which was the point of the monthly sub fee. It isn't just for server access. Otherwise the fee would be maybe $20 a year at most, see xbox live or PSN which also give free games monthly on top of server access. And Blizz isn't even really adding content in patches, they're simply holding/delaying content like TJ that would otherwise be included in the expansions and releasing it later.

But generally going pay to F2P hasn't been as successful as it was a few years back in helping mmo's. There's a long list of declining mmo's in the past few years that went F2P and they still shut down (or are nearly shutdown, like Wildstar that recently cut most devs).