Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerakal View Post
    >Typical Republican wondering how we pay for the things that nearly every other civilized country has always figured out.
    >Turns around and masturbates to our bloated, unkempt military complex.

BUT HOW, GUYS?
    Now now, clearly republicans don't think we are as clever as any other first world nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Engineers are doing quite well, particularly geo-science ones. I guess that's still kinda-tech, but not the in the sense that a lot of people think of.
    Engineers are all tech.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Oh yeah? Not due to all the money that was on the line?

Generally, when your money is involved, you value it much more.

People take free for granted.
    that's not how it works buck. people doesn't take free for granted. most of the times they take as a one time opportunity. and you clearly doesn't value the time invested in a degree (studying). when we have a business oriented (or based) education, we have a bad one.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What job markets have significant demand besides tech? Almost everyone I know in any industry has struggled to find work as a millennial.
    Anything medical, from technicians and physicians assistants to doctors and hospital administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Anything medical, from technicians and physicians assistants to doctors and hospital administrators.
    The guy I'm seeing is a physician and he has been complaining about his quality of life since our first date, lol. Dentists + related staff are certainly in demand out here in Oregon, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy I'm seeing is a physician and he has been complaining about his quality of life since our first date, lol. Dentists + related staff are certainly in demand out here in Oregon, though.
    Is he a baby physician, ie low pay grade and medical school bills still?

Is he a baby physician, ie low pay grade and medical school bills still?
    Uh yes and no...his dad is also a physician so his medical school bills were paid for. He's like an adolescent physician, ha.

I'm not sure if his complaints are worthwhile or not, sometimes I roll my eyes at the struggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh yes and no...his dad is also a physician so his medical school bills were paid for. He's like an adolescent physician, ha.

I'm not sure if his complaints are worthwhile or not, sometimes I roll my eyes at the struggle.
    Ah. Well physicians mostly start pulling in when they are operating independently enough that they are personally compensated for services as opposed to having it distributed through a larger medium, like a hospital. So either smaller practices or certain specializations.

Regardless, relatively low pay for entry level positions or not, doctors are in much demand across most parts of the country.

Ah. Well physicians mostly start pulling in when they are operating independently enough that they are personally compensated for services as opposed to having it distributed through a larger medium, like a hospital. So either smaller practices or certain specializations.

Regardless, relatively low pay for entry level positions or not, doctors are in much demand across most parts of the country.
    Most of his complaints revolve around insurance issues and limitations on care in regards to cost, tbh. And pharma companies...he admits his quality of life/income is nowhere near comparable to what his father's was but that is not really something he complains about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of his complaints revolve around insurance issues and limitations on care in regards to cost, tbh. And pharma companies...he admits his quality of life/income is nowhere near comparable to what his father's was but that is not really something he complains about.
    He should make a pharmacist friend. Pharma companies don't really try messing with us anymore.

"Oh, your new cholesterol medication had a cute little noninferiority trial based on stratified data and not outcomes? How adorable. But you brought us sandwiches, so you may continue. For now."

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    start by addressing why certain products and services cost so much to begin with. instead of figuring out how to pay for insane college costs, make them not cost so much in the first place. there's many reasons for it and they aren't going to change on their own. they'll have to be forced by law.
    It's mostly due to government assistance.

Consider that your tuition is a lump sum that the university will allocate to pay for X, Y, and Z.

The government assistance has stipulations. The government is willing to pay for X and Y, but not Z.

When the university charges an amount (say $100) which is meant to pay for X, Y, and Z, the government will cover up to $75. However, Z costs $30. So the university needs to charge an additional $5 in order to pay for Z. Well, now the uni is charging $105 instead of 100 and as a result, the gov will give more money... but again, their funds can't be used to pay for Z, so the uni has to charge more.

Consequently, we see that a lot of interventions end up resulting in a higher bottom line.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    This was one of the things that made the great depression far worse.
    Congratulations for being one of those people who only look at the small picture rather than the entire thing. <polite clapping>
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

My cousin got her nursing license. Found a job within a day, lol.

Got a degree in IT, internship was a requirement to graduate. They kept me on as an intern past my required hours and eventually hired me on as salary.

IT and Healthcare are where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    Part of the reason I'm completely against free college is just this, people won't value their education and will instead be wasting their time asking for more handouts (and complaining about "safe spaces") versus studying.

That's the same reason said "safe spacers" harass people in libraries trying to study and try to force them into shit like BLM rallies, because they don't realize that unlike them, some people actually care about doing well (in whichever major they are in, I'm not going to be a STEM pusher) and getting an actual good, productive job out of school.
    People already do this, how is your argument even close to stating that free college would result in this? =|
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

That smug little head tilt after each question Cavuto poses is fucking priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    If we did scholarships for those that do well in school, I wouldn't mind more tuition assistance. But let's be honest, nobody wants to spend/give tax money for a community college student studying liberal arts.
    Honestly, lib arts degrees are only decent if you plan on transferring to a 4-year degree and at least at the community college I originally started going to, they told new students that.

However, in my area, I could've done lib arts and gotten a decent paying (20/hr) job as an administrative assistant with relative ease because those jobs are all looking for multilingual people and my community college required 2 different languages with it's lib arts degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    Why are the right-wing posters on this forum so blindsided and childish?
    Because they might have to pay into it. Nevermind the free stuff they themselves get, someone else might benefit from it.

It's welfare-ism at it's best.

"God damn these young punks wanting free education"
    -Old men who grew up in a time when education was free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheros View Post
    I don't like the thought of being dependent on the government perhaps you do
    Is this before or after the bills of rights, clean water, electricity, and a system of currency that has value?

If you are too much of a coward to admit you aren't an island and live among other people and that they help you, there is nothing anyone can say to persuade you otherwise since you just want your own slice of the welfare without skin in the game.

It's not really that I'm against the lib arts, per se. How should I put it... The jobs pertaining to the degree aren't necessarily in demand, which is why a lot of people complain that they can't get jobs (which ultimately leads to this being a problem with paying back loans, which is the only reason this is even a topic). College was always a invest into your future sort of thing. Community colleges and state schools are relatively cheap (at least in NY) such that the only reason one would not be able to pay back student loans would really be because they can't find a college degree job. I'm not wording this right because I'm half asleep, but in the end not being able to pay back student loans is often due to the person themselves not working hard in college to get grades/internships/etc that would lead to getting a job in their field. It's more complicated and I know that's not how it is for everyone, but that's what happens when people say "get a degree in what you like" instead of "get a degree in a field that is hiring" especially when certain people go to schools with such high tuition rates.
    Education is not about market value or jobs, it is about HIGHER EDUCATION. If you have a degree you should return it, because you failed miserably at whatever college to went to.

But let's be honest, nobody wants to spend/give tax money for a community college student studying liberal arts
    I don't mind at all. Not everyone is a clone of you.