Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    inb4 professor arrested for abusing 911 calls.
    She should tbh.

It's not unreasonable - considering the frequency of school shootings, to err on the side of caution. If I, as someone not exceptionally familiar with various firearms, were to look up and see folk walking towards the school with rifles, I would absolutely feel it my duty to ensure that the authorities were notified.

Her secondary response, equally reasonable. Imagine, if you will, that you get used to this sight from the ROTC program - folks walking towards school at around the same time with their rifles. You've gotten over the shock, having not been accustomed to this before, it took you a while, and somewhere during that quarter you fail a student, or he gets rejected, or any number of things, and he decides to shoot up the school. Maybe he's an astute individual, has noticed that you have a moment of panic and then calm down when you see the ROTC kids coming back in. Maybe he decides that that's his in.

It is of course a completely unreasonable manner to perform a school shooting, but... school shootings, by their very nature, are unreasonable.

I can't say that I would behave the same way, but it's completely unfair to lambast this woman for looking at the situation and saying "it only takes a single mistake."

And yes - a lot of colleges have ROTC programs, but a lot of colleges don't, and many of the ROTC programs out there are away from the main campus area - I've never seen ROTC students near my schools, even when I know they're around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    What can I say ? Some people are triggered by guns, some people are triggered by people that looks like Muslims.
    what if they are muslims... with guns! /triggeredtothemax
    oh em gee.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that this prof. has never had an ROTC student in any of the classes she has taught. I will also got out even farther on that limb and guess she never walked around campus ever during school hours since at least 2 days a week cadets have to wear their uniforms all day no matter where they go on campus or off.

I was in AFROTC for 2 years when I went to college at Northern Arizona University and a minimum of 2 days a week we had to wear either full dress uniforms, full camo uniforms, or once we hit second year flights suits. They had to be worn all day to every class went to as part of the military training we were being given.

As for "playing war" that is not what ROTC training is about at a university level. The first 2 years are to teach the foundations of life in the military, along with tactics, military history, and the various military ceremonies. During your summer break after the second years you went to 10 weeks of basically boot camp to solidify what was learned and see if you had what it takes to finish the next 2 years. They do this b/c the last 2 years the military picks up your entire college bill and they want to make sure you are going to be able to finish not only college but be able to survive in the military when you get commissioned at graduation.

Edit: Spelling error

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Don't get baited lol

sarahtasher is nothing but a troll, you've been warned! :P
    Pot meet kettle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you fucking kidding me?

The rifles we used for honor guard were barely more than carved wooden sticks. And honor guard drills are a major military tradition. It's such a common event that's been going on for decades, that its ridiculous to think there's even remotely any comparison to "school shootings."

Can't people use an ounce of common sense?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Yes, it is. BDU's are standard working uniform in all branchs of ht US Armed Forces.

False.

BDUs were phased out a few years ago.

We now use ACUs/ABUs/Whatever the Navy calls theirs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Why play war on US soil when there's never been a modern time invasion into the United States, nor will there ever be one? What are these drills going to accomplish? Nothing.
    That's not what ROTC does.

ROTC teaches leadership and honor guard rifle drills are about parade and marching, which is tied in with discipline and focus (two important skills to making a good looking drill.)
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Are you all so well trained that you can tell fake guns from real guns? Your whole country is so paranoid with Homeland security and foreigners - and you piss on people who get infected by that paranoia? There have ben many, many, many more mass shootings than terrorist attacks, yet you are bat shit crazy in your fear of terrorists, but somebody responding to things that actually may happen and do happen on a daily basis (people fucking shit up with guns) gets torn to shreds and ridiculed online?
    But it's something a college professor should be aware of. Seeing men in American military uniforms doing rifle drills in formation in a parking lot is a common sight for any college with a ROTC unit. It's not like it's a gaggle of random students with airsoft guns.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have liked to said "the terrorists have one" but this is some woman with her head up her ass. Maybe if she'd done her job and read the email that the administration sent out about the exercises she wouldn't piss herself. Which I am highly doubtful that she was legitimately afraid seeing her response to this.

North Dakota is practically Canada.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Why play war on US soil when there's never been a modern time invasion into the United States, nor will there ever be one? What are these drills going to accomplish? Nothing.
    Are you all so well trained that you can tell fake guns from real guns? Your whole country is so paranoid with Homeland security and foreigners - and you piss on people who get infected by that paranoia? There have ben many, many, many more mass shootings than terrorist attacks, yet you are bat shit crazy in your fear of terrorists, but somebody responding to things that actually may happen and do happen on a daily basis (people fucking shit up with guns) gets torn to shreds and ridiculed online?
    The point is she is not responding to things that might actually happen. ROTC drills in full camo, and in full dress with prop arms is a very common sight on a campus with anything other than an Air Force ROTC. The school I went to had Air Force ROTC, which I was in, and an Army ROTC unit. And every week or 2 I would be thankful I chose Air Force b/c I would pass by the Army cadets practicing their parade drills with prop rifles, and it looked hard as fuck to pull off.

So like I said in a previous post, unless she never went out on campus during the day there is no way she could not have seen them at practice or the very least walking to or from the ROTC unit with their prop guns before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    But it's something a college professor should be aware of. Seeing men in American military uniforms doing rifle drills in formation in a parking lot is a common sight for any college with a ROTC unit. It's not like it's a gaggle of random students with airsoft guns.
    And what if someone gets one of these uniforms, has a real gun and starts shooting everyone? Giving the number of mass shootings in the US a little common sense over this wouldn't go astray.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I mean jeez, that is some chicken little the sky is falling stuff right there. She might want to consider some sort of therapy is my personal opinion.
    It would be tragic if she lost her position because she was harassing students for participating in a University sanctioned program; It would also be tragic if she cried wolf so often that the authorities no longer took her seriously and then when she really needed them they didn't come quickly enough.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    It's not exactly hard to look like a military person, especially since were probably not talking about dress uniform here. so yeah one can understand the confusion. especially given the frequency of schootings i think it's reasonable to put your guns in a bag and inform campus security when you are transporting them over campus.
    Bullshit. First off, ROTC cadets wear their uniforms in very specific ways: tight, cleaned, pressed, creased, tightly rolled sleeves (often, depending on clime and branch), looking sharp because they wear them for parade purposes. Field utilities on the other hand are worn for purpose, generally much looser to allow greater flexibility.

Add to the fact that the weapons themselves are carried in specific ways. When not cased, Cadets carry their weapons at port arms (diagonally in front of them, pointed upwards), or shouldered (again, pointing to the sky). They never carry their weapons at the ready (what you would consider a typical "combat" post, with buttstock in the shoulder and muzzle pointed forward or inclined toward the ground). It's very obvious when you actually look at it.

Appearances aside, this isn't a random occurrence. She works at the school, she should know whether or not they have an ROTC department and what they look like. This breeds familiarity, which she must have at least some amount of, considering she hadn't called the cops before now.

Clear case of overreaction, jumping to conclusions, and making noise for the sake of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGamer View Post
    And what if someone gets one of these uniforms, has a real gun and starts shooting everyone? Giving the number of mass shootings in the US a little common sense over this wouldn't go astray.
    They won't look like normal ROTC cadets, that will be your first major tip off, and anyone familiar with the school should have at least some notion of what normal dress and behavior looks like. See above.

Seriously, that's like saying "what's to stop them from getting a police uniform". I guess we should call 911 any time we see a patrolman from now on huh?

There's a big difference between what could happen and what is likely to happen. Could someone steal a police uniform and use that in an effort to commit a massacre? Absolutely. When was the last time it's actually happened though?

False.

The Marine Corps calls theirs MCCUU (Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform), to reinforce the fact that yes, everything is more difficult in the Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Deggan View Post
    Vote for Trump. People like that will flee the country.
    Just like you fled the country when Obama took office right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I can see it now: Women goes to jail after calling 911 multiple times during a week for ROTC drills.

Seriously, does she not grasp the fact that she is tieing up a 911 operator from helping someone with a Real emergency? Can't wait until she gets the book thrown at her. I am sure she may even get fired since she was told ahead of time about this now.
    Can't wait until one of those ROTC guys shoots something up and you eat your own words.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

So its okay to carry weapons on US colleges? After all the kids that have been killed on a yearly basis? Some people are seriously messed up.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

7+ Year Old Account
    Are you fucking kidding me?

The rifles we used for honor guard were barely more than carved wooden sticks. And honor guard drills are a major military tradition. It's such a common event that's been going on for decades, that its ridiculous to think there's even remotely any comparison to "school shootings."

Can't people use an ounce of common sense?

- - - Updated - - -

False.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not what ROTC does.

ROTC teaches leadership and honor guard rifle drills are about parade and marching, which is tied in with discipline and focus (two important skills to making a good looking drill.)
    Sorry when I was the Navy still wore dungarees as the standard working uniform, then they switched to the janitorial outfit.

You would have to be a complete idiot to be a working teacher and not know what the ROTC is or that the campus you work on everyday has one. You would have to be an even bigger idiot to respond with "well im still gonna call 911 everyday" after being informed exactly what the ROTC is and that they have drills on campus.

How do morons like this even become teachers in the first place? Oh yeah, low standards.

Well, you are sensible about a lot of stuff in America. Make a bomb joke at the airport and see how that goes. Common sense right out the window. But in this case here, people do not even consider that maybe she does have a bit of a point?

I mean...yeah, these excercises might be common sight. But there are countries where we would never have the idea to exercise in public with (fake) guns and uniforms. This happens only on military grounds in barracks. So..I ..one could get the idea that the time has come to do the same in America. Just for the sake of argument.

Then again...your country has a relationship with guns and the military that I cannot even fathom to understand
    Big cultural differences, hard to directly compare countries with vastly different systems of upbringing.

If she were some random person visiting the campus, her reaction would absolutely be understandable (if even then potentially misguided), but the fact of the matter is that she's a teacher on the campus, and so she should know about their activities. ROTC units don't wear their uniforms and drill only once a year, it isn't an uncommon occurrence, and faculty members are purposefully made aware that these types of activities take place. There's a reason her reaction is so unusual, despite the fact that there are ROTC departments in most major colleges across the nation.

WRT the part about bomb jokes; it's one of those "zero tolerance" policies. It's there to deal with people who make jokes that other people may not be aware are jokes. You may think it's silly, but I've been to a great number of countries outside the US and I can tell you for a fact that in the majority of them, you'll get a very similar reaction to the word in most areas of public transit.