Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    I live across the world in South-Eastern Europe, so it was just a news report to me. A horrible news report, but a news report nonetheless. Hell, even when it was closer to me like Paris, it was the same reaction. But when Brussels happened, I was immediately worried about a friend who was at a conference there. Luckily she was not even close to the attacks and the moment I knew she was safe, it went back to being another horrible news report.
    And I mean it's not really because we're uncaring people, it's just human and societal nature. It's not even just looking after yourself, but unless you are supremely empathetic AND a great activist, we're just too disconnected as a society to have our lives changed by these events. The more distant you are from something, the less it will affect you. That's just objective nature.

You would think with the internet and media these days that we'd be more connected than ever, but all it does is provide acknowledgement. It does nothing to actually make it relevant. Kinda one of the biggest problems we have in civilization as a whole.
    BAD WOLF

Didn't love this season, the punisher was cool, I was really interested in that giant hole but they kinda ignored that. The Japanese ninjas were cringeworthy and the end was very predictable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Honestly the only person i'd ditch from DD would be Karen, I don't know what it is, but to me she just doesn't "fit" with the rest of the show.
    I somewhat agree. However I started to like her more in S2. But it would certainly be a good death.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Didn't love this season, the punisher was cool, I was really interested in that giant hole but they kinda ignored that. The Japanese ninjas were cringeworthy and the end was very predictable.
    Yeah I wish they actually touched that up on that.

I still think this season is pretty even on S1. No other show is this good (I like Gotham but it has its moments). But I guess every show is imperfect.
    -K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    It's even more illogical because you seem to think the effects shown in JJ aren't in DD, which they are. You reference Claire and Jeri from JJ, both of whom are in DD S2 and continue the same path that you think is 'enough' to connect to the MCU. Neither of which actually goes against what I'm trying to say to you in the first place.

Idk man...trying really hard to give you any benefit of the doubt, but you still seem really disconnected from what the intention is and what your expectations are. I mean you see things in one show, but don't see them in another when they are represented the exact same way in both.

I'm not sure what this has to do with looking at a microcosm of one state, which is where these shows take place. I'm living proof that these things have no effect on daily lives of subsets of a community.
    Jerri is in DD season 2 for one scene. That creates some nice interconnectivity between the shows but it isn't quite the same.

It's just, a huge portion of Jessica Jone's plot revolves around building a legal case about mind control. That's not a plot line which I feel could happen if the setting was "the completely normal real world except specifically for what our heroes are dealing with." Daredevil on the other hand could have- background easter eggs and name drops notwithstanding. Season 1 felt a little more connected what with the battle of NY explaining the poverty of Hell's Kitchen. I'm not saying that DD is completely disconnected from the MCU but JJ did it much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I'm not saying that DD is completely disconnected from the MCU but JJ did it much better.
    I'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm curious how they'll tie the shows together for the Defenders. I think the Hand was the beginning of that this season. I think we'll get Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and maybe one more JJ to set it up.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm curious how they'll tie the shows together for the Defenders. I think the Hand was the beginning of that this season. I think we'll get Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and maybe one more JJ to set it up.
    I think Claire will be fairly instrumental in getting the Defenders together. The only one she has yet to meet is Iron Fist (because neither have we) and she's already suggesting that they team up. And I suspect that her quitting at the hospital will give her more time to fully become Night Nurse (even though I doubt that name will ever be used seriously).

I think the thing is that with these shows, they're trying to ground the characters in a more local reality.

Iron Man (and Spider-Man, for that matter) exist to New Yorkers in general, but Daredevil is a neighborhood superhero. He's the impetus for all of law and order and criminal activity in Hell's Kitchen. He's the most relevant touchstone.

JJ is even more generic to the people of Hell's Kitchen, because she doesn't dress in a costume and most people don't have any idea there's a woman with super strength out there.

The larger "movement" of the MCU is supposed to move outside of this neighborhood world. Even the things you say connect it in JJ are local to Hell's Kitchen, because, while they know of supers, they're only willing to believe in mind control in theory, and in fact, much of the season was about how people really didn't think it could happen in their neighborhood. Hogarth understands, but Hogarth also has a larger worldview as a BigLaw lawyer in NYC. Like someone else said, these two shows are kind of supposed to be microcosms of how everyday life is affected by the larger events. You see that in the heroes: one's kind of an alcoholic pissed off woman, one's just a guy in a suit whose special ability is that he can actually see when he should be blind. These aren't world-changing superheroes. These are everyday heroes rising above their mediocre backgrounds.

I dunno, I agree with Protar. 9/11 had a massive, world-spanning impact, lead to several wars, a (presumably) massive increase to the surveillance state, the degradation of more than a few privacy rights, heightened security in airports, the accompanying 'security theatre', it changed the outlook of an entire generation of people reaching adulthood in the post-9/11 environment, etc. And that was just some planes hitting some buildings. The shit that's happening in the marvel universe related to heroes and gods and alien invasions and fukken vast government conspiracies to kill every person who disagrees with them... it's on a much bigger scale than 9/11. People should be talking about this non-stop, everywhere, all the time.

DD should constantly be getting compared to the other masked vigilantes, for example, even if just as minor throw-away comments or jabs at him. And it doesn't make any sense at all for the punisher to be treated as this vigilante precedent, when Iron Man has been flying around killing people for years, Captain America was jumping around killing people years ago, the Hulk has been jumping around killing people (and fighting that other giant hulk boss, not to mention fighting the military), Thor's flying around killing people, and so on, and so on... y'know, DD should not be considered a source of vigilantism to any reasonable person in the marvel universe. There are tons of vigilantes roaming the world doing vigilante shit all the time, and they have been doing so for way longer than DD has been.

Heck, we don't even know how long Spider-Man has been operative in the MCU, but presumably the first thing he ever does in costume isn't going to be to start a fight with the avengers, so I think it's safe to assume he has at least been active for a while by the time he pops up on the MCU's screen for the first time, which means that it's likely that 'right now' in the timeline, Spidey is busy fighting Doctor Octopus or something right next door to where DD is jumping on his rooftops.

Not that I personally was bothered by this as I watched the show, but now that Protar brings it up in this thread I do find myself agreeing with him.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    *snip*
    Not going to spend anymore time on this, so suffice to say that this is inaccurate. I'll simply say my outlook on life didn't change a single bit from that event and it continues to not affect me every single day. People put way too much stock in fear mongering by the media and its affect on real, every day people. Most of us just don't give a fuck, which to be quite honest is the exact attitude one should have otherwise the people committing these acts have won.
    BAD WOLF

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, life goes on and people have their own crap to worry about.

gotta say, this season was great.
    Karen/Foggy didn't get anyone directly or indrectly killed, GG.
    Jon Bernthal's Punisher is the turest to the comic character I have seen.
    Elektra was great, but I feel like both her and the Punisher could/should have been the focus of different seasons, but they pulled it off adequately enough.
    only downer was that season ending, but that's only because not enough Punisher going ham on biscuits.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2016-03-24 at 01:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I see it, the producers behind DDS2 swung too far in the "this is Daredevil's story" direction. We get it guys, this is Daredevil, you don't want to show the Avengers, the other heroes, the greater MCU as a whole, you want to focus on Daredevil. But they went to the extreme end of outright ignoring the fact that this is even the MCU at all. It feels like they bought the IP to Daredevil and brought him into the real world New York.

Things are going to get weirder for Netflix Daredevil in the coming years. How are they going to ignore Spider-Man? How are they going to ignore the Civil War storyline? Are they really going to have an intergalactic mad Titan hellbent on the destruction of humanity arrive on Earth in the MCU then show Karen Page trying to find a decent story to write for the paper that day? Blatantly ignoring the greater world of the MCU isn't a good strategy if you're trying to convince people this is happening in the MCU.

I just rewatched the last few episodes and realized Karen is a pretty shitty person in them. She ruined the career of two cops assigned to protect her when she pretended to be kidnapped by Frank and not telling the truth. Brett says they've been demoted to traffic duty in a shitty part of town and does he step up and take the blame? Nah, she just mildly objects before deciding pining over Frank is more worth her time. And how is it that she gets a job and an office at the Bulletin with zero journalism training and not a single published story? Yeah, she has a knack for research, but that doesn't magically make her a good writer. And even if it did, how the hell does he jump the line in front of no doubt many more seasoned reporters for Ben's former office? Seems an awful lot like nepotism by Ellison that Karen happily goes along with.
    Last edited by CthulhuFhtagn; 2016-03-24 at 01:41 AM.

Elektra was great, but I feel like both her and the Punisher could/should have been the focus of different seasons, but they pulled it off adequately enough.
    One thing I liked with this season, is that, everything else isn't put on hold. Elektra's return heavily influences Matt's work. Kingpin is scheming while he's in prison. Stick seem to always be near his Protégés. It's like in the real world, you can't pause stuff.

I found it a bit odd that Stone didn't make an appearance, since he did in season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    It's just people living in their own little bubble, everyone does it to some extent. The less something affects you directly, the less you are likely to care about it.
    Blade was on yesterday and happened to turn it on when Blade, in full armor and sword, was beating the shit out of the cop in broad daylight and then when he got away and was running, pulled his gun. A few people "ahhh!!!" but otherwise... meh. Flash forward to Blade 2 and Blade is "outed" and hunted for killing a couple random Jabroni's.

Switch to DDS2, and the hospital gets attacked but an army of ninja dudes with 5 kids stolen and people killed, yet the hospital was full on willing to sweep it all under the rug and no one would know what was going on.

When a massively percentage of people have smart phones with cams, it's hard to imagine so much stuff NOT being all over the news in these hero shows/movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamshi View Post
    Didn't think they could match or top the hallway fight scene in S1, man that stairway fight scene this season!!!!
    I thought the hallway scene felt more visceral and also more impacting b/c he was less in shape, so he got winded more. It was still amazing choreography, but didn't have the same impact to me. I thought the Punisher's prison scene was far better...from that first running punch it just does not let up.

I watched an interview with the choreographer talking about the first hallway scene and this guy lobbied to have this job. He cared a great deal to make this feel real...hearing him talk about all the little quirks he puts in b/c of Matt being blind plus the movement to seem realistic...the guy just loves what he does and he does it perfect.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Blade was on yesterday and happened to turn it on when Blade, in full armor and sword, was beating the shit out of the cop in broad daylight and then when he got away and was running, pulled his gun. A few people "ahhh!!!" but otherwise... meh. Flash forward to Blade 2 and Blade is "outed" and hunted for killing a couple random Jabroni's.
    That's Blade 3, the crappy one, where he's outed BTW, not Blade 2.

About fight scenes...Punisher's prison fight was best of the season, IMO. Short, brutal, and shows just how dangerous Frank is, even without his guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    About fight scenes...Punisher's prison fight was best of the season, IMO. Short, brutal, and shows just how dangerous Frank is, even without his guns.
    Same. I also don't know how they made that first punch so well, but the angle and sound effects...I could just *feel* that dude getting rocked like he was hit by a rushing bull. It was insane. Then it didn't even give me time to think about it because he was just on.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    That's Blade 3, the crappy one, where he's outed BTW, not Blade 2.
    Yep, I didn't think it was terrible at all, but when your "backup" includes Patton Oswald and Natasha Lyonne... you better make sure you don't forget your sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Same. I also don't know how they made that first punch so well, but the angle and sound effects...I could just *feel* that dude getting rocked like he was hit by a rushing bull. It was insane. Then it didn't even give me time to think about it because he was just on.
    Everything about that scene was perfect, it was just so raw and visceral, it felt like I was actually there rather than watching it on a screen. It was the very definition of a brutal no-holds-barred beatdown.